Imagine All The People....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Paradox, the resolution of opposites at a higher level of understanding is a very confusing idea and that is because the confusion can only be resolved at a higher level of understanding.

Let us think about light and dark and the unconscious associations connected with them as an example. In the first place you can't have one without the other so right away you know they don't exist they are simply the product of dualistic thinking. No other animal thinks like that. No other animal experiences existential angst. This means that light and dark are of equal value, one not being better than the other, since neither one exists.

So what does exist. I think it is our truth as determined by our feelings. Some feelings we call light and some we call dark, but sadly we do not feel them so they never exist as they really are. Instead we experience opinions about how we feel and react to how we feel about those opinions. And we invest in those opinions by believing the are real in the sense of accurately reflection reality. But we don't see reality. We see only duality

The phenomenon of duality can collapse but never by the effort of ego because the belief in duality creates the ego and the ego is there to protect us from the horrible truth that everything we believe is a lie. But it happens sometimes for those who suffer immeasurably and let go, or to those who perhaps practice forms of meditation designed to kill thought. Or perthaps we have some peak experience and the glorious beauty of the universe gets past our filters.

Additionally, since there is no light and dark there are on other opposites either, no such thing as good and evil. All there is are opinions we have that we internalized and suppressed out of conscious awareness that we are bad people when we feel certain feelings. As the result of a rather unusual and fortuitous set of experiences earlier in my life, where the darkness came crashing in to claim me, I was forced to stare hopelessness in the face to the point where I was forced to realize there was no way out for me. It was going to be impossible for me every again to be happy and I surrendered to that reality. That is when duality collapsed for me and I experienced calmness and peace. I understood everything is meaningless including my need for meaning. There was no such need. It was a fiction created by duality.

So you will excuse me if i suggest you do not see the darkness in me but that when you look at me you may begin to see what you don't want to see, what I couldn't avoid seeing myself. I went into uncharted waters where the monsters lurk and now they are my friends. At depth and burned to ash, we are the sun, the moon, and the star born to hoot and cavort as we swing through life's trees.
... See I knew that was coming. True as it may be, we all have a part to play. I will allow to indulge myself, however pointless, along the way. I think one of your miscalculations is that everybody else has to suffer like you have to arrive at this core truth of existence. The universe is a grand, the grandest?, of ideas.

ShookKnight

Dec 12, 2019
Yes, celebrities are assholes.. OK.

How about our leadership and government? I don't care if Gal 'directs' people to jam roasted hams up their butts - because you shouldn't listen to a celebrities. And, there will be backlash and she will be ostracized.

And, if you listen to a celebrity, you deserve whatever fall out/consequences happen to you from jamming a roasted ham up your butt.

Look, let a celebrity inspire you. But, don't let a celebrity direct you.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
... See I knew that was coming. True as it may be, we all have a part to play. I will allow to indulge myself, however pointless, along the way. I think one of your miscalculations is that everybody else has to suffer like you have to arrive at this core truth of existence. The universe is a grand, the grandest?, of ideas.
I speak of what I know personally, the path I am on personally. The point of the following part of my post that perhaps you misinterpreted or glossed over or I failed to express sufficiently cogently was meant to suggest that my way is not the only way to the truth that there is:

"The phenomenon of duality can collapse but never by the effort of ego because the belief in duality creates the ego and the ego is there to protect us from the horrible truth that everything we believe is a lie. But it happens sometimes for those who suffer immeasurably and let go(what happened to me), or to those who perhaps practice forms of meditation designed to kill thought. Or perhaps we have some peak experience and the glorious beauty of the universe gets past our filters.(Two alternative routes)"

I read this somewhere and I like it a lot: "There are a million paths in life and they all lead nowhere. Choose a path that has a heart."

"There is only love" is another. Love, of course, the wholeness of unity, and then there is that delusion that the universe is fractured I speak of, I think, sometimes referred to as Maya in the Hindu religion.

Anyway I am a nobody. I can only offer what I have if anything and you are free to take or reject as you wish.