I'm vomiting till I'm dry in just about 1 hour intervals.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
21,568
3
0
So it's my 3rd night back at college, and earlier today I learned that one of my friends had a stomach virus or some shit, but was doing better. Unfortunately I learned this after I sat next to him for a 1:15 min lecture. :frown:

So starting at about 6 pm EST I began to feel like shit, decided to stay in for the night (we have freezing rain here anyways). Ate a baked potato and a doughnut. Then I had severe abdominal cramps for about 4 hours before I puked about 10 times in a row, if my piss is any indication I'm dehydrated, and what d'ya know I'm running a low grade fever.

Basically, I'm drinking Sprite and eating heavily salted pretzels between "spasms". Any other recommendations so I can kick this shit and go to sleep? (I have a 10am class tomorrow, and it's the first class (of this subject) of the semester, so I really don't want to miss it.
 

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
24,227
2
76
Uh...
1) Stop drinking that sprite
2) Stop eating that pretzel

The sugar laden drink and ultra salty pretzel will not help, itll just dehydrate you more. This reminds me of another ATer that decided eating Pho after being really dehydrated was a wise move. If you can't stop vomitting, taking in liquids at this point can be irritating your stomach even more. You'll live w/ a few hours of dehydration, wait until you think your stomach is stable and drink some Propel or some kind of low sugar energy drink. Dont chug it, sip it. Not much you can do at this point but wait it out. When you think you can take solid food, you can eat some bread then move on to more substantial fare.
 

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
27,709
11
81
Gastroenteritis is what it's called I believe. I got it in the dorms at school a few years back and one other time many years before. It's HIGHLY contagious.

Basically you just let it run its course I think. You'll have fun tonight, but tomorrow you should be okay. You could try taking a couple of gravol. They'll ease your stomach and knock you out.
 

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
27,251
8,216
136
Skip the pretzels & if you can get ahold of somthing like Gatorade because that'll do more for your body then soda ... if you have no option except the soda then drink it at room tempeture & let it go flat (carbonation make you puke faster) ... most importantly take tiny sips of whatever you drink.

Edit: Also note that although its true the suger in soda won't re-hydrate you, it will actually help settle your stomach a bit because it gives your stomach acid somthing to work on digesting while water does nothing but sit there ... however as soon as you can keep things down switch to room-tempeture water.
 

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
21,568
3
0
Originally posted by: Mo0o
Uh...
1) Stop drinking that sprite
2) Stop eating that pretzel

The sugar laden drink and ultra salty pretzel will not help, itll just dehydrate you more. This reminds me of another ATer that decided eating Pho after being really dehydrated was a wise move. If you can't stop vomitting, taking in liquids at this point can be irritating your stomach even more. You'll live w/ a few hours of dehydration, wait until you think your stomach is stable and drink some Propel or some kind of low sugar energy drink. Dont chug it, sip it. Not much you can do at this point but wait it out. When you think you can take solid food, you can eat some bread then move on to more substantial fare.
It's actually the cheapo bite-sized snack pretzels, I read somewhere that it was good to eat salty stuff, and I'm chewing them about 30 times before swallowing.

I'm not chugging the Sprite either. Maybe a gulp or 2 every 5 minutes.
 

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
21,568
3
0
Originally posted by: RandomFool
Stop eating and drinking and go to sleep. When you feel better conmmence eatting and drinking but nothing to heavy.
I already tried. I fell into something of a daze and woke up vomiting my ass off. Fortunately I put the trash can right next to the bed...
 

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
21,568
3
0
Originally posted by: Captante
Skip the pretzels & if you can get ahold of somthing like Gatorade because that'll do more for your body then soda ... if you have no option except the soda then drink it at room tempeture & let it go flat (carbonation make you puke faster) ... most importantly take tiny sips of whatever you drink.

Edit: Also note that although its true the suger in soda won't re-hydrate you, it will actually help settle your stomach a bit because it gives your stomach acid somthing to work on digesting while water does nothing but sit there ... however as soon as you can keep things down switch to room-tempeture water.
Oh yeah *smacks head*. I've got a ton of that under the bed...
 

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
11,491
2
0
Second the Gatorade. When you can hold solid food down try some more pretzels or saltine crackers or something. Then whip out the Campbell's.
 

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
7,581
0
0
Pot is amazing for nausea. Plus it's just plain fun. You don't have to do a lot to get the effects, so don't go crazy if you need to go to class.
 

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
16,521
26
91
Try sucking on some ice chips. If it gets too bad go to the doc, they can give you an iv for lost fluids and anti-nausea meds.
 

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
61,713
11
56
hope it's only a 24 hour thing and you are feeling better soon.

ginger ale seems to help the tummy.... babysteps with getting back to food.
 

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
6,824
3
81
both my kids had it a couple weeks ago. they were actually puking every 20-30 minutes. thankfully it only lasted about 24 hours. too bad i got 'hit' about 10 times.
 

Tobolo

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
3,699
0
0
Originally posted by: irishScott
Originally posted by: RandomFool
Stop eating and drinking and go to sleep. When you feel better conmmence eatting and drinking but nothing to heavy.
I already tried. I fell into something of a daze and woke up vomiting my ass off. Fortunately I put the trash can right next to the bed...
If you have been vomiting that often, have not been able to keep stuff down, and has been going on for that many hours then you may want to go to a Dr's office. You may need to receive an IV.

I had the same thing before, went to the doctor (mom worked there so why not) and within 4 hours I was admitted to the hospital for sever dehydration. I couldn't tell a difference, but the recovery was SO much faster then other people I knew that had it.

A good IV helps!
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY