IM Tool that supports multiple IM protocols

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by VerumSeeker, Dec 23, 2012.

1. VerumSeeker

VerumSeeker Junior Member

With Microsoft retiring Windows Live Messenger in 1Q2013, I am looking for a new IM tool and decided to look for a tool that supports multiple different IM protocols/networks (i.e. Google Talk, Yahoo, AIM, etc.). Has anybody done any extensive research on this topic? Most of the reviews that I am finding are from 2010 and I am hoping that somebody can point me to reviews/evaluations done in the last 6 months on the current versions of each package. I do not have any Apple products so the tool does NOT have to be compatible with any iAnything products. It does need to run on Windows 7. Would prefer something that supports voice and video chat as well as text IM. Free would be best (since I think that there are several options that are free), but I would not be opposed to spending a few dollars a year for support.
    It seems like the likely contenders are
    Trillian
    Miranda
    Pidgin
    Digsby

Ideally, would like a tool that would actually allow me to use multiple different logins on a single protocol/network as well as supporting s multiple different protocols/networks (I have different IDs for different communities on the same service). But I am not sure whether this is even possible much less implemented anywhere?

2. Nothinman

Nothinman Elite Member

Pidgin is all I really have experience with but on Linux, not Windows. But it definitely lets you add multiple accounts for the same service and will do at least voice chat via GTalk, never had a reason to try video or even voice via any other service.

3. ockky

ockky Senior member

I'm a fan of Miranda. It has a boat load of plugins that will allow you to do pretty much anything you need. It can be a bit complicated to get it setup 'just right' however.

4. osearth

osearth Junior Member

I've used them all and now I much prefer Trillian as my multi-protocol client especially for windows.
    http://trillian.im ( https://www.trillian.im/get/windows/ )

TRILLIAN FEATURES
    • Interoperable With support for Google Talk, Facebook, MSN, AIM, ICQ, Yahoo! and more, stay connected with everyone.
    • Continuous Client Your chats go with you everywhere. Even keeps your phone quiet when you're active at a desktop!
    • Device Support Available on Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android, BlackBerry, and directly in your web browser.
    • Email POP3, IMAP, and native IM mail integration. New mail alerts and basic mail management are all exposed.
    • Social Never miss a beat with social integration, keeping you connected to Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
    • Tabbed Chats Keep your desktop tidy with tabbed chats, featuring drag and drop support, unread indicators, and more.
    • Message History All desktop versions come with a fully-featured message history viewer, including searching and filters.
    • Spellcheck Integrated spellcheck will let you know when a word is misspelled and offer suggested fixes.
    • Emoticons Hundreds of amazing handcrafted emoticons for your chatting pleasure. Find them all, even the hidden ones!
    • Game Chat New to v5.3 for Windows, you can now chat directly in full-screen games with our awesome in-game chat feature.
    • Themes Our skins and themes let you personalize Trillian for Windows any way you'd like. Change colors to suit your mood!
    • Internationalization User-created language packs and strong UTF-8 support help ensure a great experience in your native language.

5. SMOGZINN

SMOGZINN Diamond Member

6. GobBluth

GobBluth Senior member

I'm using Pidgin.. its ok

7. zokudu

zokudu Diamond Member

Pidgin here. Took a foray into trillian but went back. I don't really have a reason tbh.

8. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Diamond Member

I have used all of these (trillion, digs by etc) over the years. Right now I am using digsby. Its pretty good and it pulls in Facebook and twitter as well as the usual im implementations.

9. Mandres

Mandres Senior member

for web-based I use imo.im, because it works with the Skype network (which I can't install on my work pc)

10. Chiefcrowe

Chiefcrowe Diamond Member

I like pidgin, it does all I need.
    I've found that early on, IM was great and i used it constantly but now I don't use it that much. It is nice to have some people who are online a lot accessible though.