Question I'm throwing in the towel

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

7beauties

Mar 24, 2008
Dear Friends, I refuse to pay $2K or more for a single graphics card, especially since the original MSRP for Nvidia's RTX 3080 was $700, but I've seen prices for it as high as $2,700K. That's ridiculous.. I'll take up some other hobby/ies in the meantime. I wish you, who are still on this ever-inclining treadmill, that you'll find what you want. Good luck.

Reactions: Leeea

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Something else productive.
Like... complaining on the internet about "other people" making money over the internet with their PCs... and "playing games" with their GPUs, rather than using them to make actual money.

Edit: Which one of those users, is "more real", and which is "more virtual"? The one that considers internet money to be virtual, and "gaming" to be "real", or the person that considers "gaming" to be "virtual", and "virtual currency", which can be traded for arguably "real money" to be "more real".

Last edited:
Reactions: Mopetar

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
Like... complaining on the internet about "other people" making money over the internet with their PCs... and "playing games" with their GPUs, rather than using them to make actual money.

Edit: Which one of those users, is "more real", and which is "more virtual"? The one that considers internet money to be virtual, and "gaming" to be "real", or the person that considers "gaming" to be "virtual", and "virtual currency", which can be traded for arguably "real money" to be "more real".

Well Larry I would say that the intended audience of GPUs is gamers not miners. The manufacturers have said as much and why we are getting LHR models now.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well Larry I would say that the intended audience of GPUs is gamers not miners. The manufacturers have said as much and why we are getting LHR models now.
And, arguably, the reason that current GPUs are SO POWERFUL for games, is that they are massively parallel, and massively programmable, things that largely arose not JUST because of games, but also because of GPGPU technology (like CUDA and the like), and non-gamers driving the technology for scientific research (and in the last 10 years or so, also mining.)

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
And, arguably, the reason that current GPUs are SO POWERFUL for games, is that they are massively parallel, and massively programmable, things that largely arose not JUST because of games, but also because of GPGPU technology (like CUDA and the like), and non-gamers driving the technology for scientific research (and in the last 10 years or so, also mining.)
Nope.

Remember when the US air force built their PS3 supercomputer? A lot of parties became aware then. GPGPU came about because gaming drove the designs towards high FP output. Gaming was the driver, then other people noticed the raw power becoming available for their computation needs. Now it seems they're going their separate paths.

Notice how all the leading GPGPU tech companies have gaming GPUs as their base. Not an accident.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Remember when the US air force built their PS3 supercomputer?
That had everything to do with Sony/IBM's Cell micro-processor, and nothing to do with the GPU. Or was that PS2, and I have my history wrong? I remember PS2s being clustered with Linux, due specifically to Cell.

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019

I'm just commenting on the "more real" part of the post. To me the more real person is the intended audience. When miners are trying to buy all of the GPUs they can get their hands on and drive prices way up, the people who lose out are the gamers.

It wouldn't be so bad if people were limited to buying 1-2 GPUs, but we all know that isn't happening.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
and "playing games" with their GPUs

yeah us filty gamers, always making the vendors come out with something faster, and even forcing them to make Waifu edition cards, because since were filthy gamers we need stuff spammed with cute anime girls and RGB to make us feel morally better.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
If you believed that you wouldn't be instantly turning your crypto into dollars as soon as you mined it.

Dude... please don't tell me that anyone here is still doing that. You're not going to have any chance to make any real wealth with your crypto unless you HODL that shiznit!

I learned that lesson the hard way... if I kept the crypto that I mined back in 2013 and sold it during the recent market top, I probably could have bought a house with it.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Dude... please don't tell me that anyone here is still doing that.
It is the only way to roll.

Eth has flattened off at about $2300, about 1/2 of what it was not long ago. The market realization of its exposure to USDT has people pulling their cash out. With USDTs blatant fraud, it is simply a matter of selling off assets without crashing the market before said assets are sold. There are new people onboarding, but they are going to be left holding the bag when the USDT bubble pops.

Last estimate put 80% of crypto market transactions with USDT, which means it is 80% fraud. There will still be value there after USDT pops, 1/5 of $2300 is $460. Not that far off of what Eth was not very long ago.

In the mean time, hodl is insanity. Sell it now, wait for the bubble to pop, and then hodl is back on the table.

Last edited:
Reactions: VirtualLarry

gammaray

Jul 30, 2006
Dear Friends, I refuse to pay $2K or more for a single graphics card, especially since the original MSRP for Nvidia's RTX 3080 was $700, but I've seen prices for it as high as $2,700K. That's ridiculous.. I'll take up some other hobby/ies in the meantime. I wish you, who are still on this ever-inclining treadmill, that you'll find what you want. Good luck.
I understand GPU pricing is ridiculously high. But refusing to pay for it, especially if you have the money, only hurt yourself no? I paid 1500 for my 3080 ti, but i could afford it, is it too much probably, but so what.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I saw an argument the other day that this is actually a good thing (temporary GPU scarcity).

It makes us appreciate the games we already have, in our backlogs, so much more (I can personally attest to this).
It draws attention to indie games that generally have lower system requirements than the AAA stuff.
It forces us to look beyond our one primary hobby and seek out alternate methods of entertaining or even growing ourselves.
Many people here have gotten a crash course in economics, bleeding edge block chain technology, and supply chains over the last 9 months.
It brings us closer together as a community by "otherizing" scalpers and big mining ops (this might not be the healthiest, but hey)

Look at the glass half full and you will never be thirsty!
I play Wot and Division 2, but I upgraded my monitor from a 1440p 60hz to 5120x1440p 240hz, so I would like to upgrade my video card, even though I play older games. :)

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Dude... please don't tell me that anyone here is still doing that. You're not going to have any chance to make any real wealth with your crypto unless you HODL that shiznit!

I learned that lesson the hard way... if I kept the crypto that I mined back in 2013 and sold it during the recent market top, I probably could have bought a house with it.

Can't feel bad about that. No one has a crystal ball and you can't hold forever "just in case". People don't live long enough for that to make sense.

insertcarehere

Jan 17, 2013
Was thinking of building a computer in 2020-21 to replace my aging gaming laptop before this madness (and other personal things) derailed my plans.

Since a new PC isn't in the cards I finally took the long overdue step of cleaning the heatsinks and repasting the CPU/GPU. That made a gigantic difference, instead of heading to thermal throttleville with GPU at 1200-1300mhz, it's now boosting to 1750+mhz sustained with a comfortable margin to temp limits, with a big increase in FPS as a result.

Repasting the laptop hopefully is the incremental upgrade that lasts me another 12 months until RDNA3/Lovelace comes out and this insanity dies down a little :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Was thinking of building a computer in 2020-21 to replace my aging gaming laptop before this madness (and other personal things) derailed my plans.

Since a new PC isn't in the cards I finally took the long overdue step of cleaning the heatsinks and repasting the CPU/GPU. That made a gigantic difference, instead of heading to thermal throttleville with GPU at 1200-1300mhz, it's now boosting to 1750+mhz sustained with a comfortable margin to temp limits, with a big increase in FPS as a result.

Repasting the laptop hopefully is the incremental upgrade that lasts me another 12 months until RDNA3/Lovelace comes out and this insanity dies down a little :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

- Was in a similar situation with my desktop 980Ti. Thing was boosting to the proper place but sounded like a 787 right next to my head. Was worried that the fan bearings on the card/VRMs whatever was starting to go.

Opened it up, blasted out a fluffle of dust bunnies from the heatsink (didn't take the repaste step quite yet, since the card is still boosting to the right place) and popped it back in, and the thing probably dropped like 30 decibels, it was incredible.

Been running this 980Ti since 2016, I just need it to hold out until I can pick up a solid 2080S level replacement for a reasonable price (~$400 or less).

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
GG 2019 prices... you really will be missed.

Budget Gamers
Official EOL: 2021
Reason: COVID-19 / Etherium / Scalpers / Samsung

Notice how they say HIKE.. and not increase...
Which usually means its not small.
However, when asked about their stand on increasing costs for expansion, they report that their focus is on "short term gains".

This gives it away, they gonna neuter us after we already got castrated for short term profits while ETH holds steady and people still want them videocards to mine.

nosurprises

Jan 4, 2021
I was a little hopeful when I hear about the release of LHR version of the GPUs. But apparently no one is making them because the card makers can make more money by selling the regular cards.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Crypto is fine

PoW is beyond it's reason for existing and is now causing more harm than good in nearly every possible metric

ASICs at least offered a middle ground where high levels of PoW could be achieved without monumental wastes in energy and pollution

BTC is nowhere near the problem at all really that is represented by ASIC resistant ETH PoW

And I'm not bothered by someone having a few to a couple dozen GPUs to try to get in on a little of this while it lasts. On the same token, rich vampires in China and elsewhere that run tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of GPUs to just add to already absurd levels of wealth concentration (as well as becoming so powerful within the realm of specific crypto economies as to cause gains/losses and assert control by their dominant presence alone), just ... Ugh.

Someone needs to kick Buterin or whoever in the teeth and get PoS here, and ASICs should be the only legitimate PoW period for future crypto, but limited in scope.