Question I'm thinking of switching consoles?

lovelikefools

Jan 21, 2019
so basically I use an Xbox one currently and have used Xbox for years, I don't game so much anymore, the last titles I enjoyed were rise of the tomb raider and quantum break.
the main use for my xbox currently is for TV Netflix nowtv etc) due to there being no TV signal where I live.

I'm thinking of switching over to the ps4, but I am not into consoles like I used to be and wanted some opinions from people who know better.

My main questions now are, can I still use the ps4 for tv? What's the app store like? How is the interface and can I use customisation, is it easy to use? What's the switch over like, in terms of ease of switch, difference in controllers?

Basically I just need some help!

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Since you don't really game on it, why switch from an Xbox One to a PS4? They should both be just fine for Netflix and other apps.

Most people would only make the switch to play game exclusives that aren't available on their console.

lovelikefools

Jan 21, 2019
sorry I wrote this twice so missed some info!

I want to game more but found the Xbox lacking titles I was excited about.
Spider-Man / last of us / detroit: become human all look like I would genuinely enjoy them.

but the main household use is for TV purposes, so that's why I focused on this and mainly wanted to know the ps4 would suit this need in my home!

Reactions: kitkat22

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
The PS4 GUI is pretty straightforward; might even be easier to navigate than the XB1 interface. The PS store can be a bit clunky and slow if you're on a weaker internet connection but it's a little more forgiving than how the current Xbox store is laid out. I use both relatively frequently and I'd prefer the PS GUI but I don't do a lot of customization, admittedly. Both consoles handle web apps just fine; PS4 certainly has the better exclusives with some yet to come. Needless to say there's something for everyone.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The Xbox interface has been downhill ever since Xbox 360 blades were removed. How MS can continue to make it worse and worse is beyond me. It should be in the "what not to do" section of UX books.

PS4 one is way better and way more straight forward.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
The Xbox interface has been downhill ever since Xbox 360 blades were removed. How MS can continue to make it worse and worse is beyond me. It should be in the "what not to do" section of UX books.

PS4 one is way better and way more straight forward.
Yup I loved the blades. It was simple and fast. I absolutely hate the modern Xbox UI. It's so damn cluttered with too much to look at.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yup I loved the blades. It was simple and fast. I absolutely hate the modern Xbox UI. It's so damn cluttered with too much to look at.
Yesterday I was trying to just install RE2 on Xbox One X and it literally took me 3 installs for it to actually work because of the cluster that is the Xbox One X.

Reactions: kitkat22

GibbyPruchesi

Jan 18, 2019
sorry I wrote this twice so missed some info!

I want to game more but found the Xbox lacking titles I was excited about.
Spider-Man / last of us / detroit: become human all look like I would genuinely enjoy them.

but the main household use is for TV purposes, so that's why I focused on this and mainly wanted to know the ps4 would suit this need in my home!
If you have money to spare then go for it. I really enjoyed Detroit: Become Human and it has some great replay value. If you really enjoy it then it might make you interested in gaming more and having two consoles mean exclusives aren't an issue anymore.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I prefer the PS4 UI for sure. I use the Xbox one X to play red dead 2 and sometimes nba2k. Xbox interface has always been clustered and messy.

Sounds like you would prefer the PS4 games either way. Can't wait for last of us 2, curious if it will turn out to be stellar like God of war was.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
I have both. PS4 UI is faster and more logical. The store is easier to navigate (but not perfect). The games are more varied and PS+ gives better freebies than XBL unless you really like 360 games. Spider-Man and Detroit are both great games, don't forget GoW. Xbox really is dry platform unless you want to play a half dozen Forza games.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
why do you have to use a console at all :) switch to PC gaming / android box for movies.

Well PC GPUs are utterly overpriced so there's that. I still like the simplicity of a console.

OP: If you use Dolby Vision be aware that the PS4 does not support that. The Xbox One will do dolby vision from streaming sources and Atmos audio which again, PS4 doesn't support. Nor will the PS4 play UHD Blu-Ray discs if that's a thing for you as well while the Xbox One S and X models will. The XBox One (if you have an S or X) is a much better all around device for TV streaming. Poor interface like was mentioned, but much more capable. I have both a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X and given the choice of the same title between them I will buy it for the Xbox because it's 9 times out of 10 the superior version. The PS4 does have a more compelling library of exclusives for sure.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Well PC GPUs are utterly overpriced so there's that. I still like the simplicity of a console.

OP: If you use Dolby Vision be aware that the PS4 does not support that. The Xbox One will do dolby vision from streaming sources and Atmos audio which again, PS4 doesn't support. Nor will the PS4 play UHD Blu-Ray discs if that's a thing for you as well while the Xbox One S and X models will. The XBox One (if you have an S or X) is a much better all around device for TV streaming. Poor interface like was mentioned, but much more capable. I have both a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X and given the choice of the same title between them I will buy it for the Xbox because it's 9 times out of 10 the superior version. The PS4 does have a more compelling library of exclusives for sure.
I have to agree here since I also have both consoles. I prefer the UI and exclusives of the PS4 but if a game is multiplatform and I don't feel like getting it for my PC, I'll usually get the Xbox X version. I did that with red dead 2 as well. I initially had red dead for PS4 pro but I let a friend borrow that copy. My brother took my old Xbox so I ended up with an X and it came with red dead 2. It's much more crispier looking in 4k coming from the X.

I was going to upgrade to a 2080ti at one point but after reviews came out I said forget it. I'll wait until the next Ti model as what I have now is good enough.

PS4 has better exclusives but as of lately most of the newer multiplatform games seem to run and look better on the X due to the extra horsepower.

Reactions: cmdrdredd