I'm thinking of an upgrade, I'd like some opinions please.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Saffron

Nov 16, 2012
I will go ahead and do the CPU/Motherboard upgrade. Then it will be 3-4 years before I need to upgrade again, and by that time the next architecture will be released or soon to be released.

My only other concern is my Zalman CNPS9900 cooler, it works with both Intel and AMD but are the mounting brackets going to be same as Sandy Bridge?

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
I will go ahead and do the CPU/Motherboard upgrade. Then it will be 3-4 years before I need to upgrade again, and by that time the next architecture will be released or soon to be released.

My only other concern is my Zalman CNPS9900 cooler, it works with both Intel and AMD but are the mounting brackets going to be same as Sandy Bridge?

Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge have the same mounting holes. The CNPS9900 originally may not have shipped with an SB-compatible mount, however, so you'll need to check into that. The older 1156, which it probably did come with, is not the same as 1155.

Saffron

Nov 16, 2012
I guess I jumped the gun on the Zalman CNPS9900 questions. I just took a quick glance at the Zalman website and it will indeed work with Ivy Bridge.

http://zalman.com/eng/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=416

Whether the on I ordered a year ago came with that mount, I don't know, I will have to check or wait until I get the motherboard in to find out. If it doesn't then hopefully Zalman will ship me the bracket.