I'm supprised at the lack of arguing about Obama on this board

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
Originally posted by: Budmantom
The majority of people on this forum look down on people of faith and look up to people that hate America.

And lo, the Lord spoke before them;
And He proclaimed with conviction,
'If thou cannot taketh the heat,
Perhaps thou shall get the fuck out of the kitchen, bitches;'

And such was the gospel of Black Jesus;
And it was dope.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
The majority of people on this forum look down on people of faith and look up to people that hate America.

Haha, you get that bullshit out of a crackerjack box, moran?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Craig234

That's idiocy.

Please. Why can't we acknowledge that what Budmantom sees is real for him. Just read a thread on fundamentalism or abortion or creationism or any number of other topics and you see people crucifying people of faith and those same folk will be in some other thread criticizing the war or the military or the President (of the United States and often called here America).

In either case the tone and words get profoundly disrespectful. I do it myself. What gets lost, always gets lost, is that people who think on opposite sides here have the same motivation.

On the one hand the faithful are protecting good by protecting and standing up for it's source as they imagine it to be, and the God haters are pissed that people believe in jokes as their only reason to be good. They feel that good is a given and doesn't have a source in faith. Each is protecting the good. The America lovers look at what is good about America and hate those who run it down and the people they are criticizing see and hate what is wrong with America. They don't have Love America Blinders on. Each protects America, one from insult, and the other from rot.

The human mind is diseased. It has to compare If I am different than you I will see you as bad. I am good and you are different. It compares because that is how we got the disease, being compared as worthless next to others as children.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: manowar821

Well, he probably pulled it from your sig. ;)

Budmantom's problem is not that he's wrong, but that his perspective is skewed. Times have changed, he hasn't changed with them. This year, it's the religious right who are supporting the secular candidate from the party that has been putting ideology ahead of country.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: Craig234

That's idiocy.

Please. Why can't we acknowledge that what Budmantom sees is real for him. Just read a thread on fundamentalism or abortion or creationism or any number of other topics and you see people crucifying people of faith and those same folk will be in some other thread criticizing the war or the military or the President (of the United States and often called here America).

In either case the tone and words get profoundly disrespectful. I do it myself. What gets lost, always gets lost, is that people who think on opposite sides here have the same motivation.

On the one hand the faithful are protecting good by protecting and standing up for it's source as they imagine it to be, and the God haters are pissed that people believe in jokes as their only reason to be good. They feel that good is a given and doesn't have a source in faith. Each is protecting the good. The America lovers look at what is good about America and hate those who run it down and the people they are criticizing see and hate what is wrong with America. They don't have Love America Blinders on. Each protects America, one from insult, and the other from rot.

The human mind is diseased. It has to compare If I am different than you I will see you as bad. I am good and you are different. It compares because that is how we got the disease, being compared as worthless next to others as children.

Moonbeam, my comment was primarily about the second of his two statements. I probably should have been clear about that.

I don't think his first point is idiocy; there's *some* truth to it.

If you would care to defend his second claim as better than I said, I'll listen.I don't use such a curt, negative statement as I did in my post lightly.

Indeed, my most frequest responses of lengthy commentary are in part intended to make a response such as this one all the more pointed in contrast.

In my view, we have a serious problem with huge numbers of voters who are really simply deficient in the fundamentals of the rational thinking needed not to be a menace.

I understand the preference for 'civilized debate', to pretend that everyone is either a Lincoln or a Douglas, but it seems to me that's a luxury at odds with the facts today, and it actually gets in the way of recognizing the actual problem, that what's needed is not Lincoln and Douglas trying to figure out whether Obama really was calling Palin a pig, or whether John Kerry really did exaggerate how badly the shrapnel hurt him, or whether Al Gore's wording of his leading role in funding the internet's development makes him a liar.

We need to recognize the underlying problems of defective voters who are voting badly in the fog of confusion over such issuse, and the defects of the system that manipulates them.

My small contribution in that post was to intentionally bypass the distractions of listing 20 examples why Obama voters don't actually hate America, and make the more direct point.

As I mentioned yesterday, Al Gore wrote a book on the exact topic, "The Assault on Reason"; I was lazier and wrote two words.

To answer your specific question, why can't we acknowledge that what he sees is real for him - that the Obama supporters in this forum who make a majority of the members "hate America" - we can, but why, when that's not the issue? I'm not accusing him of really thinking they don't hate America but saying otherwise. The issue is the problem that he does believe it. How is it someone living in the most powerful nation in the world with access to education, books, the internet, has the rationality of a witch burner?

I don't mean that to be pejorative, I mean it to state a problem and ask a solution. It *is* pejorative, but that's not the purpose. It's difficult to address the problem and not state it.

And in addition to the danger posed by the people who hold such views voting, there's an additional danger, that they are a threat to the very American (not exclusively) process of rational discussion of issues. Michael Parenti wrote about the mindset in his book "Superpatriotism", in which he describes people who are 'pro' their country to the extreme, but would have a difficult time defining why, because it's based more on things like the desire for superiority than anything reasonable, and how they tend to attack anyone who actually tries to improve the nation by identifying areas for improvement, or otherwise pointing out flaws, attempting to silence any such criticism - which has a harmful effect up to and including the perpetuation of wrongful wars.

So it's with some strong concern I condemn that process that is so dangerous.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Looks like somebody came here to stir the sh*t, fell in the pot, dragged in a couple of his friends who tried to pull him out and they all came stumbling out covered in poo and smelling really really bad.

edit - grammar

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Originally posted by: jbourne77

LOL I haven't distinguished myself? On an Internet forum? Are you kidding me?

I do appreciate your sense of humor; I'll give you that ;) .

That was me trying to say you've been making an ass of yourself nicely.

... and that was me trying to tell you to get a life.

Regardless, you still can't see the difference between reading a post and understanding a post. You're hardly one to be calling into question everyone else's intelligence, which you seem to do constantly. Get over yourself.

Stop being stupid.

Is that one of your "I put a lot of thought into my posts" responses?

You're an idiot.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Stop being stupid.

No that was him just stating the obvious.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

Stop being stupid.

While I strongly disagree with Budmantom's assertion that you all hate America, it's a fact that this forum openly and routinely mocks people of faith. I'm not much of a spiritual man myself, but his statement is dead-on in that regard.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Stop being stupid.

While I strongly disagree with Budmantom's assertion that you all hate America, it's a fact that this forum openly and routinely mocks people of faith. I'm not much of a spiritual man myself, but his statement is dead-on in that regard.
Both sides do, the Right constantly knock those of the Muslim faith.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: ZOOYUKA

So, it doesn't matter that he can't spit out coherent thought. It only matter that he is thinking while trying?

Also, your point suggest that he is not thinking a majority of the time since he consistently relies on his teleprompters. He can't even make eye contact with the American people because he is so intently reading. Sometimes he seems dumbfounded by what he just read as if he is reading it himself for the first time.

I stutter and stammer a lot also when I talk. I am a "gifted" individual who is eligible for Mensa.

I also don't make eye contact along with a whole host of other social no-no's because it is very uncomfortable for me.

Your point?

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
This is hilarious. I can't believe this thread has reached 3 pages and is well on its way to 4 considering how retarded its original intent was supposed to be as stated by the OP.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: magomago
Originally posted by: dbk
He's also the antichrist http://o.bamapost.com/ OMG

Among his supporters are the world 1.5 billion Muslims!!! OMG THERE ARE EVEN AMERICANS WHO ARE MUSLIMS WHO SUPPORT HIM!

Stupid places like snopes, they'll never agree that most chain letters from religious conservatives are the truth!!!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL that site is golden! I can't tell if its real!

I didn't know that the Onion had a sister site that they wrote articles under.

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999

Does this forum mock the people, the faith itself, or does it just mock any attempt to make faith a part of the law?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Regardless, you still can't see the difference between reading a post and understanding a post. You're hardly one to be calling into question everyone else's intelligence, which you seem to do constantly. Get over yourself.

Stop being stupid.

You're an idiot.

Your argument at this point is based around me giving you too much credit for actually having read a thread before posting in it. If that's what you want to argue about, that's fine. I freely admit I was wrong for assuming that you would make a minimum of effort and so I assumed you had read the other posts in the thread before opening your fat mouth. I was obviously mistaken. You win?! hahaha.

I'm not sure if I get your attempt at self-immolation here. You're admitting that you talk without knowing what you're talking about just so that you can attack me for thinking too highly of you. Tip for you: When your basic argument is "you're wrong because I'm a bigger idiot than you thought", you aren't really setting yourself up for success.

As for my other post, if you think someone saying that people on this board admire those who hate America deserves anything but derision, I can't help you. Posts like his deserve nothing more than what I gave it.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Craig: Moonbeam, my comment was primarily about the second of his two statements. I probably should have been clear about that.

I don't think his first point is idiocy; there's *some* truth to it.

If you would care to defend his second claim as better than I said, I'll listen.I don't use such a curt, negative statement as I did in my post lightly.

I did. I said, "The America lovers look at what is good about America and hate those who run it down and the people they are criticizing see and hate what is wrong with America. They don't have Love America Blinders on. Each protects America, one from insult, and the other from rot."

I then went on to say why: "The human mind is diseased. It has to compare If I am different than you I will see you as bad. I am good and you are different. It compares because that is how we got the disease, being compared as worthless next to others as children."

C: Indeed, my most frequest responses of lengthy commentary are in part intended to make a response such as this one all the more pointed in contrast.

In my view, we have a serious problem with huge numbers of voters who are really simply deficient in the fundamentals of the rational thinking needed not to be a menace.

M: In deed we do. I said what I said because I think name calling is ineffectual in doing anything about it, not that I don't do the same.

C: I understand the preference for 'civilized debate', to pretend that everyone is either a Lincoln or a Douglas, but it seems to me that's a luxury at odds with the facts today, and it actually gets in the way of recognizing the actual problem, that what's needed is not Lincoln and Douglas trying to figure out whether Obama really was calling Palin a pig, or whether John Kerry really did exaggerate how badly the shrapnel hurt him, or whether Al Gore's wording of his leading role in funding the internet's development makes him a liar.

M: My intention is different. I want Budmantom to appreciate that aspect of his point of view that is of value, really appreciate it to the point where he doesn't need to be or feel defensive about what is wrong with it, the turn a blind eye part. The left totally assaults the right and the right totally assaults the left and both are partly right and partly wrong. One can't see that if one doesn't really respect one's own point of view or the motives of the opposition.

C: We need to recognize the underlying problems of defective voters who are voting badly in the fog of confusion over such issuse, and the defects of the system that manipulates them.

M: There is only one problem and it's that there isn't enough love and in particular, love of self, real love of self, not egotism.

C: My small contribution in that post was to intentionally bypass the distractions of listing 20 examples why Obama voters don't actually hate America, and make the more direct point.

M: Budmantom IS America. Try loving him. ;)

C: As I mentioned yesterday, Al Gore wrote a book on the exact topic, "The Assault on Reason"; I was lazier and wrote two words.

M: The spirit is willing.....

C: To answer your specific question, why can't we acknowledge that what he sees is real for him - that the Obama supporters in this forum who make a majority of the members "hate America" - we can, but why, when that's not the issue? I'm not accusing him of really thinking they don't hate America but saying otherwise. The issue is the problem that he does believe it. How is it someone living in the most powerful nation in the world with access to education, books, the internet, has the rationality of a witch burner?

M: We have our power, our books, and our access because America is great, so don't hate it. :)

C: I don't mean that to be pejorative, I mean it to state a problem and ask a solution. It *is* pejorative, but that's not the purpose. It's difficult to address the problem and not state it.

M: Tell me about it. Imagine if people hated themselves and only Moonbeam knew it. Think of what a job he'd have. Imagine telling the king he smells like shit.

C: And in addition to the danger posed by the people who hold such views voting, there's an additional danger, that they are a threat to the very American (not exclusively) process of rational discussion of issues. Michael Parenti wrote about the mindset in his book "Superpatriotism", in which he describes people who are 'pro' their country to the extreme, but would have a difficult time defining why, because it's based more on things like the desire for superiority than anything reasonable, and how they tend to attack anyone who actually tries to improve the nation by identifying areas for improvement, or otherwise pointing out flaws, attempting to silence any such criticism - which has a harmful effect up to and including the perpetuation of wrongful wars.

M Imagine if humanity were dying of self hate. The disease you see in conservatives is also in liberals. There is no love of self. It's always that the other is dangerous and must be destroyed. There is no good or evil. The world is, was, and always will be absolutely perfect. Not a single thing needs to be changed. The struggle to save the world ends not by saving anything but by awakening.

So it's with some strong concern I condemn that process that is so dangerous.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

You know, some of us spend a good amount of time here having discussions. We form impressions of each other. Reputations actually do matter. Intellect, reason and logical argument are valued commodities. You can dismiss the medium if you like, but then why are you here again?

Originally posted by: Viditor

Does this forum mock the people, the faith itself, or does it just mock any attempt to make faith a part of the law?

A combination depending on the topic. When someone says cavemen rode dinosaurs, we mock both the person and their ideas. When someone says they believe in god, it's the rare person here who will call that person an idiot.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: jonks

You know, some of us spend a good amount of time here having discussions. We form impressions of each other. Reputations actually do matter. Intellect, reason and logical argument are valued commodities. You can dismiss the medium if you like, but then why are you here again?

Originally posted by: Viditor

A combination depending on the topic. When someone says cavemen rode dinosaurs, we mock both the person and their ideas. When someone says they believe in god, it's the rare person here who will call that person an idiot.

Of course they don't. They don't want to be criticized in return because they believe in the Spaghetti Monster.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005

Stop being stupid.

You're an idiot.

Your argument at this point is based around me giving you too much credit for actually having read a thread before posting in it. If that's what you want to argue about, that's fine. I freely admit I was wrong for assuming that you would make a minimum of effort and so I assumed you had read the other posts in the thread before opening your fat mouth. I was obviously mistaken. You win?! hahaha.

I'm not sure if I get your attempt at self-immolation here. You're admitting that you talk without knowing what you're talking about just so that you can attack me for thinking too highly of you. Tip for you: When your basic argument is "you're wrong because I'm a bigger idiot than you thought", you aren't really setting yourself up for success.

As for my other post, if you think someone saying that people on this board admire those who hate America deserves anything but derision, I can't help you. Posts like his deserve nothing more than what I gave it.

Son, the entire premise of your argument here is that I responded to a guy's post without reading his other posts or the entire thread. That's your trump card? That's your ace in the hole? That's why you've been arguing with me for two days? In all actuality, you're simply backpedaling after realizing you misunderstood something, but rather than choosing to man-up and admit it, you want to argue over something as stupid and insignificant as this.

Here's the deal: A guy said something I wholeheartedly agree with; reading the rest of the thread has no bearing on that whatsoever, even if said individual later says something I disagree with. His two posts are mutually exclusive, and I am certainly entitled to responding to one of his thoughts without being aware of his others.

Your problem is that you're one of those characters who, when lacking substance (or when faced with your own shortcomings), defers to arguing about arguing, semantics, and parsed words. When all else fails, you fire off a one-liner, retreat, and pat yourself on the back for a perceived job well done.

Get the fuck out of here :laugh:

[edit]

I'm going to help you out one last time, and then I'm finished with you - permanently, because people like you are too set in their ways to waste much time with.

Here's where you went wrong:

I didn?t see that, but if he said that, it?s stupid. Regardless, it doesn?t change the fact that any attempt to scrutinize Obama ? even the slightest ? is met with rabid hatred and contempt. Besides, according to your fellow Dems, guilt by association is out.:

Originally posted by: Rainsford, excusing Obama's association with AyersI think people are defined by their behavior, not the behavior of others

So you admit that what he wrote was stupid, but people calling it stupid is somehow evidence that legitimate criticism of Obama isn't allowed. That's rich.

Wow... you fail at logic, reading comprehension, cause and effect, ... should I continue?

You FAILED because you tried to tie two thoughts of the OP together in order to discredit BOTH with a single statement I made. I said I thought one of his thoughts was stupid, so you took it out of context and tried to bundle everything attributable to the OP in one neat little package for yourself. Maybe oversimplifying things like that helps you cope with more complex issues, but you neglect to realize that, in your simplifications, crucial details are lost.

On that note, good riddance.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: Vic

Budmantom's problem is not that he's wrong, but that his perspective is skewed. Times have changed, he hasn't changed with them. This year, it's the religious right who are supporting the secular candidate from the party that has been putting ideology ahead of country.

Haha... :laugh:

To be fair, there's quite a bit more depth to my signature than that.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
any attempt to scrutinize Obama ? even the slightest ? is met with rabid hatred and contempt

And this is why you started and ended on a fail. Your premise is just incorrect.

Demanding to know the college grades of the editor in chief of the Harvard Law Review who graduated magna cum laude is met with derision, because if the goal is to determine academic acumen, the question is closed.

Asking why Obama wants to teach kindergartners sex ed is met with derision, because it's facially ridiculous.

Asking why Obama didn't wear a flag pin on his lapel is met with derision, because a person's patriotism isn't measured by his accessories and the "issue" is merely a disguised character attack.

If a thoughful and logical criticism of Obama or his policies is made, it will be answered in kind. Try making one and proving your thesis.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002

You are a prime example of what the left thinks.... you are a bit more vocal about it.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007

You are a prime example of what the left thinks.... you are a bit more vocal about it.

...And what does the "left" think, exactly? You're one of those people who thinks there are only two sides, aren't you?

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Yeah the question Couric asked her about what Newspapers she reads was a real tough one, one that Obama wouldn't have been able to answer:roll:

Gotcha moment! Gotcha moment! Liberal media! Liberal media! Bias! Bias! Palin is a victim! Wah!
Watch this around the 1:25 minute mark.

The TMZ guy asks Couric what magazines/newpapers she reads, and she throws a nice jab at Palin.

Does anyone here really think Palin reads The Economist?

Given how little she seems to understand about the economy, no, I don't think she does.