I'm studying to become a Catholic Priest.

Viper0329

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2000
I've been a member of this online community for quite some time now, but I only post on rare occasions. I've had the great privilege of making some real life friends through this board, I've been introduced to many new ideas and perspectives on life and the universe.

Over the past few days, I've noticed quite a few threads about religion, so I thought I'd make one that is a bit more personal and perhaps even encouraging for other people.

For the past three years, I have been in seminary formation for the Catholic Priesthood. I just graduated with my bachelor's degree in Philosophy, and I'm about to begin the next phase of formation. Beginning Sunday, I'm traveling to Rome at the request of my Bishop to begin my studies for my master's degree and, God willing, ordination to the Priesthood in 2011.

Some people, as expressed by posts in various threads, feel that religious people, especially clerics, are quite naive about the nature of the universe, mankind, the world, and even science. I've intensively studied many of the major philosophers from a wide variety of philosophical viewpoints. From Plato and the Ancients to Russell and the Philosophers of Language, I've come in contact with almost all the major fields of philosophical inquiry.

I believe in the power and knowledge of science. Yes, I believe in evolution. Yes, I believe that science is just beginning to show its real capabilities about explaining the behavior of the universe. There is so much we can learn about the human body, medicine, quantum mechanics, technology, space, and other things that will make the quality of life for humans everywhere so much better than it is now.

At the same time, I believe that the realms of philosophy and theology need to work together with scientific inquiry in order that they might complement each other's work. Both are vastly different approaches to knowledge but both are equally important.

As a man studying for the Catholic Priesthood, I believe that people, in discussions about religion and faith, need to be able to dialogue in a manner that is understanding, respectful, and fruitful. This, above all, needs to be accomplished with humility. Too often does pride become the central root of conversation and debate. The world could benefit from compassionate humility. We must remember that a person's own personal experience dictates much about what he/she believes about faith, religion, and the supernatural. No two people have the same experience, and we must remember this.

If you are a person who prays, I ask for your prayers now and in the future. If prayer isn't currently in your lifestyle for one reason or another, then I appreciate your thoughts.

To all of ATOT, thank you for helping broaden my perspective on life and the people who live it, and I look forward to further participation in this community.

May peace reign in your hearts now and forever,
Jeff

Pacemaker

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2001
Good luck.

Science = Requires Evidence

Religion = Requires Faith

These two will never fully agree, but that doesn't mean that they are mutually exclusive either.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Can't wait for the inevitable childish religion bashing posts from some ignorant folks....

Congratulations to you and I applaud your courage/conviction to follow the path ahead.

Ya never know, perhaps in a few years I might see you on Sundays in my neck of the woods :)

Saga

Banned
Feb 18, 2005
I find it interesting that these types of heartfelt revelations often bear a striking resemblance to viral marketing. I suppose we can blame organized religion for that one, too. ;)

markgm

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2001
Good luck! My younger brother is starting his theology years. Two priests in the family, who would have thought. There might be a third someday too.

Are you going to be going to The Pontifical North American College?

Viper0329

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Izusaga
I find it interesting that these types of heartfelt revelations often bear a striking resemblance to viral marketing. I suppose we can blame organized religion for that one, too. ;)

Hey, we gotta do something to get more vocations! We're hurting down here! :)

Viper0329

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2000
Originally posted by: jjones
Congrats. Have fun with the celibacy thing. :p

I have to be quite honest--celibacy is amazing! Although most people look at it as being a negative thing (no sex, no mutually exclusive relationship, etc), it's an incredible gift for those who wish to receive it. I've never felt so joyful or truly fulfilled in all my life, and I'm just beginning to experience what celibacy has to offer! It's helped me to come to understand myself and the nature of human relationships in an entirely new way. It's definitely not for everyone, but it's a blessing for the priesthood.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: tagej
Can't wait for the inevitable childish religion bashing posts from some ignorant folks....

Congratulations to you and I applaud your courage/conviction to follow the path ahead.

Ya never know, perhaps in a few years I might see you on Sundays in my neck of the woods :)

I wouldn't call that ignorance, I'd call it mean.

Viper0329

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2000
Originally posted by: glen
When does the new language Missal come out, and when will it be in use?

Are you referring to the language changes approved by the USCCB? Who knows, this is the Church; she takes forever to approve anything, but that's a good thing.

Originally posted by: markgm
Good luck! My younger brother is starting his theology years. Two priests in the family, who would have thought. There might be a third someday too.

Are you going to be going to The Pontifical North American College?

Yes

Kalvin00

Lifer
Jan 11, 2003
Sorry, but either you believe in Science or you believe in the Bible.

The two are not reconcilable. You are merely overlooking parts of the Bible in order to think you're science minded.

Mucho

Oct 20, 2001
Good luck on your endeavor.

Isn't the priesthood a refuge for tortured souls and deviants? One question I've always wanted to ask a Catholic priest.

TheTony

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Kalvin00

The two are not reconcilable. You are merely overlooking parts of the Bible in order to think you're science minded.

Originally posted by: Viper0329
Too often does pride become the central root of conversation and debate.

Kalvin00

Lifer
Jan 11, 2003
Originally posted by: TheTony

Care to add anything to the thread, or are you just trolling through?

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Congrats and good luck! Every person has to find their own way.

TheTony

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2005
Originally posted by: TheTony

Care to add anything to the thread, or are you just trolling through?

Oh, the irony...

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: jjones
Congrats. Have fun with the celibacy thing. :p

I have to be quite honest--celibacy is amazing! Although most people look at it as being a negative thing (no sex, no mutually exclusive relationship, etc), it's an incredible gift for those who wish to receive it. I've never felt so joyful or truly fulfilled in all my life, and I'm just beginning to experience what celibacy has to offer! It's helped me to come to understand myself and the nature of human relationships in an entirely new way. It's definitely not for everyone, but it's a blessing for the priesthood.

This is an excellent example of what we generally call "drinking the kool-aid". Still, best of luck to you...

Kyle

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
"As a man studying for the Catholic Priesthood, I believe that people, in discussions about religion and faith, need to be able to dialogue in a manner that is understanding, respectful, and fruitful. This, above all, needs to be accomplished with humility. Too often does pride become the central root of conversation and debate. The world could benefit from compassionate humility. We must remember that a person's own personal experience dictates much about what he/she believes about faith, religion, and the supernatural. No two people have the same experience, and we must remember this. "

Couldn't agree more. Currently, I've lost most of my faith and am pretty much science/agnostic at this point, but I do enjoy debates that, like you said, are respectful and understanding in nature. Also like your point about each persons experiences being different and is the basis of what they believe in.
Great post, and best of luck with journey.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000

I think you misunderstand the faith.
Sure, some fundamentalist Christians beleive their own personal understandign of the Bible conflicts with Science, but I don't think that is the norm or the correct understanding of the faith.

mh47g

May 25, 2007
I agree with you Kavlin ;)

You either believe the earth was created by god or the earth was created by a really large explosion. They are both really hard for us humans to believe. If you believe the earth was created by god then you would be a hypocrite to believe anything else was not created by god. And, vice versa.

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
So does the whole celibacy thing include.... whacking the bag around ?