I'm sorry, but a person is not worth $200 million+ to play a sport

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OffTopic1

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2004
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Dear god, the entertainment industry is going to crap while the rest of is suffer? I am referring obviously to baseball's blockbuster deal. I don't care how good at a sport you are, you shouldn't be getting that kind of money, let alone to play a game where you take steriods to swing a stick at a little ball and trot down some dirt paved lines. IMHO same goes for all entertainers (that includes music, movies and sports).

WTF? I can do the same thing these people do and would probably be happy doing it for free (or on the cheap if I had to make a living off it).

When am I going to get paid $200 million to sit on my butt drinking a :beer: and eating some chips watching these idiots?
Agree, however don?t get your panties in wad.

Stop purchasing label products, disconnect your cable/internet, and stop going to sporting event.

Mucho

Oct 20, 2001
What about the notion that in a capitalist society the marketplace determine the value of a product or service?

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Dear god, the entertainment industry is going to crap while the rest of is suffer? I am referring obviously to baseball's blockbuster deal. I don't care how good at a sport you are, you shouldn't be getting that kind of money, let alone to play a game where you take steriods to swing a stick at a little ball and trot down some dirt paved lines. IMHO same goes for all entertainers (that includes music, movies and sports).

WTF? I can do the same thing these people do and would probably be happy doing it for free (or on the cheap if I had to make a living off it).

When am I going to get paid $200 million to sit on my butt drinking a :beer: and eating some chips watching these idiots?

Jealous?

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Sure I can. I can take steroids just like the best of em (but I choose not to currently). I can swing a bat. I can occasionally hit a ball with it. I can throw and catch said ball. I can run around. Why haven't the Yankee's called me to make such an offer yet?

It is this very industry that makes everyone else's life so expensive. Read: inflation.
You are a moron.
How exactly does a baseball player's salary affect your expenses?

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: PipBoy
a person is "worth" whatever someone else is willing to pay for their services. if people wanted to pay $1000 to read retarded posts like yours, you'd be a frickin millionaire too.

I disagree. Your worth is not what you earn, it's what you deserve based on your contributions and other factors.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Dr Smooth

Jealous?

Hell yeah. I'd like $200 million to look forward to.

matt426malm

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2003
Why would you care? I'm going to repeat what many have said if baseball fans are willing to pay for ticket prices and merchandise what does it matter. Now if your boss was getting paid a big corporate salary then it is "possible" to see it as taking something from you.

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
hey, as long as asshats are willing to pay the rising ticket costs, the asshat players salaries are going to go up

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: PipBoy
a person is "worth" whatever someone else is willing to pay for their services. if people wanted to pay $1000 to read retarded posts like yours, you'd be a frickin millionaire too.

Good post, PipBoy. About sums it up.

A job, any job, is worth whatever someone is willing to pay, not one penny less nor one penny more.

tec699

Banned
Dec 19, 2002
In reality yea no one is worth 200 million. Is Shaq woth the 100+ million? Hell no. What has he done for society? Now lets look at a scientist working on a cure for cancer. He should be the one getting the 100+ million, because he's going to have a greater impact on society then Shaq. But our society doesn't function in that matter. The difference is people like Shaq and A-rod make big money for their organizations. Shaq alone makes the LA Lakers organization literally billions, because he is easily marketable. And as someone has stated earlier the market will determine the salaries of the athletes. I think it's crazy that a Baseball player can command a 200 million salary, especially since A-rod importance to society at large is mostly nil.

What gets me though is that the fans get the shaft all the time. Take a look at the NBA all star game. Who are in the stands? It's not the fans. Nope. It's the rich CEO's and their families, snot faced millionaire celebrities such as Paris Hilton, and countless other celebrity type people that would never give the average person (99% Americans) the time of day. And yet, who pays the pro basketball player salaries? THE FANS DO!! But yet we get shafted all the time, and yet people put up with it.

I used to be a huge sports fan. Not anymore. :|

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: tec699

What gets me though is that the fans get the shaft all the time. Take a look at the NBA all star game. Who are in the stands? It's not the fans. Nope. It's the rich CEO's and their families, snot faced millionaire celebrities such as Paris Hilton, and countless other celebrity type people that would never give the average person (99% Americans) the time of day. And yet, who pays the pro basketball player salaries? THE FANS DO!! But yet we get shafted all the time, and yet people put up with it.

I used to be a huge sports fan. Not anymore. :|
PREACH IT , Brother!! AMEN!!!!

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
You think they should outsource to Bombay India? Now Batting # 23 Harpal Singh!