I'm sick of only hearing about "Personal Responsibility"

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Is anyone else tired of the same old refrain blaming individuals for every thing?

When I buy a product I expect it to be safe, work as advertised and be fairly priced. Yet all I see is cable companies with legal gobbleygook throttling bandwidth. All I see is phony erection pills being hawked. Foods routinely stuffed full of chemicals I never heard of. Software full of rootkits. Electronics that don't tell you what they really can do. Insurance policies that allow the company to deny anything, etc, etc, etc

Yes, many people are irresponsible. Yet a far greater number are unable to be lawyers, pharmacists, investment counselors, etc all rolled into one.

Which is why in todays world, with incredibly complicated products, changing financial markets, and literally armies of people whose job it is to DECEIVE people who are their customers are the MOST to blame.

/rant

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Damn dude, how much burden you think the Rich can handle?

Soon they'll quit Buying your Politicians and go somewhere else where they're Cheaper. When you find yourself getting jacked once again by the Mexican Border Patrol, remember you brought this on yourself with all this "Responsibility" talk.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Caveat Emptor!

It sucks, but it's a fact of life.

It's also a game and we're all being played.

Big government on side, Big biz on the other. We're squeezed in the middle. They're just two bullies.

Their startegy is to make you think you *need* them when in reality they're working together against *little people*.

Quit trying to rely on the government, you're played for a sucker. ;)

Fern

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Fern
Caveat Emptor!

Big government on side, Big biz on the other. We're squeezed in the middle. They're just two bullies.

Their startegy is to make you think you *need* them when in reality they're working together against *little people*.

Fern

Democratic Government is the *only* actual say the Little Guy has in Society. Push for the end of Corruption, not the end of Government.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Fern
Caveat Emptor!

Fern

Ya, disease on the one side, doctors on the other, they're all just big bullies.

Fires on the one side, firemen on the other, they're all just big bullies.

Criminals with guns on the one side, police with guns on the other side, they're all just big bullies.

The fallacy of saying two things are equally wrong to try to sound 'fair and balanced' gets old.

Business and government are two very different things; what they're not is the same, 'both big bullies'.

Yes, both have power, and both can do bad and good, but your post ignores the actual issues for both of them as some meaningless rant saying nothing but 'they're bullies'.

Business is key to our productivity. Regulation is key to keeping business serving society rather than the other way around.

Government is key to the public having a share of power. Democracy and preventing corporate dominance of government are key to keeping it serving the public rather than the other way around. Of course, the modern Republican party you seem to lean towards is for the worst of both worlds, the alliance of the 'two bullies', each enabling the other; the government giving the businesses the power of the law, and the businesses giving the government the power of the purse. That's also known as a form of fascism.

Government can be oppressive, but you are wrong to say it is always oppressive; government is also the most effective protection for the public, when it's run right.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
As long as we tolerate our government being owned by big business, nothing will change.

Keep bitching and sooner or later, bitching will become illegal.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: BoomerD
As long as we tolerate our government being owned by big business, nothing will change.

They still give you 'free speech zones'.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
You do have a good point that we cannot be all these things rolled into one. I do feel that it takes one with a solid understanding of various fields, from psychology to statistics to economics to navigate modern life in a reasonably competent way and avoid making terrible decisions and/or getting ripped off. If it's not marketers trying to convinced us we need something that sucks, and tapping into inate psychology to do it, it's a politician again stroking our fears and compelling us to support something.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Skoorb
You do have a good point that we cannot be all these things rolled into one. I do feel that it takes one with a solid understanding of various fields, from psychology to statistics to economics to navigate modern life in a reasonably competent way and avoid making terrible decisions and/or getting ripped off. If it's not marketers trying to convinced us we need something that sucks, and tapping into inate psychology to do it, it's a politician again stroking our fears and compelling us to support something.

A healthy dose of cynicism will cure what ails ya!

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: spittledip
Originally posted by: Skoorb

A healthy dose of cynicism will cure what ails ya!

Not really. Skoorb's post is the best I recall from him; cynicism won't fix the problem. What's actually needed is closer to what he says - and hope, not cynicism.

The thing is, since it's so difficult to get what he lists broadly across the public, what we can and should do is to limit the systemic use of corporate money for propaganda in politics.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Well if you and other consumers really cared maybe you would all shop around.. Instead techs it's sheep like you and other American consumer zealots who just lay down and buy whatever is easy.

It took me over a year to finally find the BBQ grill I wanted. The hardest thing was I required it was made in USA, finally found a guy that welds em up over on 28th and Madison... have you ever in your lazy life looked that hard for something made in USA?

I doubt it.. American buying power is so much stronger then you can imagine too.. but since all the people you are so compassionate for are willing to just go to walmart, they are the ones who sell this country out. You just like to place blame on office since you are incapable of knowing any better.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: TheSlamma
Well if you and other consumers really cared maybe you would all shop around.. Instead techs it's sheep like you and other American consumer zealots who just lay down and buy whatever is easy.

It took me over a year to finally find the BBQ grill I wanted. The hardest thing was I required it was made in USA, finally found a guy that welds em up over on 28th and Madison... have you ever in your lazy life looked that hard for something made in USA?

I doubt it.. American buying power is so much stronger then you can imagine too.. but since all the people you are so compassionate for are willing to just go to walmart, they are the ones who sell this country out. You just like to place blame on office since you are incapable of knowing any better.

Congrats on taking forever to buy a BBQ. That's quite the accomplishment.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000

Where did the raw materials for your BBQ come from?

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: sandorski
Democratic Government is the *only* actual say the Little Guy has in Society. Push for the end of Corruption, not the end of Government.

Right. Good luck with that.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: her209

Where did the raw materials for your BBQ come from?

Most likely China - he doesn't realize that it's cheaper to export iron to China and import back the steel. America workers won't work for pennies.

But hey, he paid a guy in America to assemble is BBQ for him! He thinks he's fueling our manufacturing sector when in fact he just bought into Services, which is what most of our country is now based on anyway. Whoopee

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: BoberFett

Right. Good luck with that.

It's the only way to create a Just Society. History shows that.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005

Did your dumb ass not read the OP?

OP mentioned he wanted a good final product, I take the time to make sure I go out of my way to get that product from a seller who actually does that. While I am only 1 person that takes away from a company that does a half assed job. If morons like you and others would go out of their way to do this to we as consumers raise this bar and you put the cheating companies mentioned in THE ORIGINAL POST out of business or they have to improve their product.

All your simple mind is capable of is picking apart an example I lay down, well moron I take the time to find a good product in everything I buy, which means I bypass the bull$hit made in china most of the time as I think they export cheap $h!t. I prefer my cars start with a J in the VIN number, I prefer my scuba gear come from USA or italy. The point is it's in MY power to not get burned like the OP does.

Instead we get people like yourself and Techs who think the government should just step in and tell everyone to play nice.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Get the government out of the market, and the market will get out of the government.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: BoomerD

Oct 16, 1999
Ultimately the responsibility does fall on us. The public votes either directly or with our wallets every day. Unfortunately most of America has a crap fetish.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Personal responsibility is the delusion egotistical people who base their self worth of illusions they have achieved something flatter themselves they are worthy of something and thus hide from their self hate.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Gonad the Barbarian
Ultimately the responsibility does fall on us. The public votes either directly or with our wallets every day. Unfortunately most of America has a crap fetish.
:thumbsup:

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: bamacre
Get the government out of the market, and the market will get out of the government.
While that's a cute bumper sticker, it has no connection whatsoever with reality. The market will insinuate itself as deeply into government as it is allowed, because that is good for business.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
Originally posted by: bamacre
While that's a cute bumper sticker, it has no connection whatsoever with reality. The market will insinuate itself as deeply into government as it is allowed, because that is good for business.

Your second sentence says exactly what my statement says.

We get corporate lobbying because we allow government to intervene in the free market. Once laws can affect business, business tries to affect laws.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

Did your dumb ass not read the OP?

OP mentioned he wanted a good final product, I take the time to make sure I go out of my way to get that product from a seller who actually does that. While I am only 1 person that takes away from a company that does a half assed job. If morons like you and others would go out of their way to do this to we as consumers raise this bar and you put the cheating companies mentioned in THE ORIGINAL POST out of business or they have to improve their product.

All your simple mind is capable of is picking apart an example I lay down, well moron I take the time to find a good product in everything I buy, which means I bypass the bull$hit made in china most of the time as I think they export cheap $h!t. I prefer my cars start with a J in the VIN number, I prefer my scuba gear come from USA or italy. The point is it's in MY power to not get burned like the OP does.

Instead we get people like yourself and Techs who think the government should just step in and tell everyone to play nice.

I agree with some of the sentiment, but I think the reaction to your post was that you're being kind of a punk about it. Maybe suggesting ideas without calling people sheep and morons would go farther...it's just a thought.

But your idea also has problems. Voting with your dollars is quite a powerful statement, but you're making the wrong one. If you want to encourage "corporate responsibility", you'd buy from GOOD companies, not just companies that slap "made in the USA" on their product. We have plenty of crappy companies right here in America, and there are plenty of good companies overseas...if you want to encourage corporate responsibility, buy from the good ones, no matter where they are located.