I'm selling my car.

erwin1978

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
I'm selling my 95 Ford Taurus with 88K miles. I've been doing some research on the net to get an idea of what my car is worth. I came across this Kelly Blue Book website; is that blue book the definitive resource for getting quotes on used cars? The website gave me a quote for a private sale of roughly $2400. Is that the price I should ask for or should I go higher and allow for price negotiation?

arcenite

Lifer
Dec 9, 2001
NEWS FLASH: WE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT F!CKING CAR YOU HAVE.

Edit: We need to know what kind of car and what kind of shape it's in to be able to compare it to the value of KBB.

Bill

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
Give you $5 for it. As long as you fill the gas tank and deliver it to me.

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Just for your information, in the real world, the Kelly Blue Book means diddly squat when selling a car privately. Unless you are selling a classic vintage car, the KBB value is not going to be accurate; also the KBB value is for a specific criterion.

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Marauder911
Just for your information, in the real world, the Kelly Blue Book means diddly squat when selling a car privately. Unless you are selling a classic vintage car, the KBB value is not going to be accurate; also the KBB value is for a specific criterion.

Exactly. The KBB fails to mention things like specific condition of various elements, was all the work professional, has it ever been in accidents or had damage to it... the KBB should only be used to give a faint idea of where the vehicle's value stands, you must factor in other things, and above all else, factor in reality. If this car is a 1989 ford tempo with near-bald tires, all owners were smokers, the paint is mad faded, and the engine noise puts 747s to shame, according to the KBB this car could still be worth well over $1000 if it has custom rims and a CD Player.

Browse some online car sales and get a feel for how much cars similar to yours are selling for, then realize you are going to NEED to undercut and dealer price by AT LEAST 20%