I'm reading 'We were soldiers once...and young'

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Man, this book will really make you realize just how fucking insignificant your day to day troubles are. :(

I had a lot of respect for those who serve and have fought in the Military before I started reading this book...Now I have a fucking world of respect. :shocked:

mcvickj

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2001
I haven't had a chance to read the book yet but I really enjoyed the movie.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
good book and good movie.

found out a few years ago my uncle was a gunner on one the helicopters that went in. he was shot during it and got a purple heart. though he didnt survive the war.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Excellent book. If I remember correctly, the movie was about the first part of the book.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: MasterOfKtulu109
we were soldiers is a very underrated film

I haven't seen the movie but I definitely will after I finish the book. Probably by this weekend at the rate I'm going.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The book is among the few 'Nam books I haven't read.

But color me among the distinct minority who was disappointed by the movie. Saw it when it first came out, and for some reason, I had high hopes for it.

It was a personally emotional experience for me to go, so maybe that colors my view, but I HAVE to say these things:

You get pinned down in an extended engagement, one of the first things EVERYONE does is dig the fuck in. You know, in order to give yourself the best damn chance of staying alive. I didn't see ONE entrenching tool being used in the entire movie.

Even worse, no one in their right mind strides around standing up without cover during a fire fight. Forget training (which btw kicks in immediately), instinct alone would make you take cover.

It just doesn't happen otherwise, except, of course, in Hollywood movies.

Meh.

Xstatic1

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2006
thanks for suggesting this. it may be awhile, but it's officially the next military/war book i'll read. :)