I'm pretty sure this is a rite of passage: My first white van speakers

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I just bought my first pair of "white van" speakers. I'm headed to a buddy's birthday party & they have more displays than audio systems. I had a spare receiver but no speakers so I hit Craigslist in search of the elusive white van speakers. Something that can handle some abuse for one night of alcohol fueled gaming and not be a huge loss if someone kicks a hole in them.

I found a pair of these for $20. Those reviews confirm that these are indeed genuine white vans, circa 1997. Mission accomplished!

Now the problem:

They wouldn't fit in my trunk so I put them in the back seat of my Mustang. I put my arm on the passenger seat to back out of the driveway from picking them up & managed to put my elbow right into the middle of the woofer dome. Whoops.

Now it's not totally destroyed, but it's got a definite dent. No tears or anything like that. Anybody have any advice on how to raise the dent? I've tried packing tape & It won't grip at all. Should I even bother trying any further? I've already confirmed that it is not accessible from the back short of drilling a hole in the cone itself & using a dowel or something to push it out.

Viper GTS

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
a dent in the dust cap will effect the sound very little. I would not worry about it.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Don't worry about it. If you really want to get it out, try a stickier tape like gaffer tape or the usual tool - duct tape. But yeah, it'll be fine.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
No vented pole piece? Ah shucks - these are white van speakers! :laugh:

Definitely do *not* worry about it! A mashed dust cap will make no difference in the sound especially when you consider the intended application! ;)

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I figured it probably wouldn't affect the sound much but it bugs me that I hadn't even hooked them up before smashing one.

I tried again with the tape, turns out I wasn't being nearly violent enough with the removal. The key seems to be to give it a good yank. After a few good tape applications my trusty Dyson was able to restore it to nearly perfect condition.

:thumbsup:

Now to see how these things actually sound...

Viper GTS

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Don't worry about it. For the intended application, it will "do the job". This is the first instance that I heard of where someone specifically went out to purchase "white van" speakers :laugh: Let us know how they hold up!