I'm pretty sure something is wrong with the temp here.

imported_MogKnight

Dec 11, 2004
I recently did a full blown upgrade to my PC, here are the stats...

Mobo: Asus A7V400-MX
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Barton (Running at 2.0ghz right now)
CPU Fan: Gigabyte PCU21-VG running at 4000 RPMs

Using MBM, the processor's temp is around 67-72 at load, hitting 63-68 during idle. I have confirmed this by checking the Bios and I reflashed it a few times to make sure it's not something wrong.

There are 4 fans on the front bottom intaking air and a very small fan on the back and the side fan blowing out air.

I talked to many and they said it really isn't a healthy temp. I really need help with this, I even dust out the entire case with Compressed Air and took out things that would block air flow.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
either the temps are inaccurate or the hs is not put on right/without paste/toomuch paste/too small a hs(doubtful)

imported_MogKnight

Dec 11, 2004
Not Put on right = Maaaaaaaayyyyybbbeeeee..... but very doubtful.
Paste = Should be just right
Small Heatsink = It's pretty big :eek:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
First, BIOS temperature sampling is biassed upward. For comparison purposes, you want to look at the temps reported by software under the running OS.

Second, these temps seem high to me because I'm an Intel devotee (but that could change, and change back again). The thermal limit for AMD Athlons is around 90C, correct me if I'm wrong. Even so, the temps still seem high even if I correct for the BIOS bias.

You said there is a "small" fan for exhaust and the PSU fan. I assume this is a midtower case. For starters, I would recommend changing that exhaust fan to a 120mm, if there is room, or if you can disassemble the whole thing and cut a bigger fan hole. If not 120mm, then a 92mm or two 92mm fans.

I think you're right to choose a heatpipe cooler, although I notice at NewEgg the airflow is "unspecified". Someone reported good results with this heatpipe cooler last week, nevertheless, or a similar Gigabyte model.

This is all stocks and flows -- air going "in" will mix with warm air inside the case, and if the exhaust is insufficient (an insufficient rate), temperature inside the case will build up. This was a reason that there have been different reports about the SubZero4G TEC cooler: the TEC cooler expansion card would heat the interior air, and people who were looking at the cooler for a reduction of noise already had insufficient exhaust, so they were dissatisfied with the cooler. But reviewers who had adequate exhaust and a higher rate of CFM through the case as a whole were more or less pleased with it.

But recheck your retention clips, thermal paste before you make any other changes. I always use Arctic Silver 5 no matter what kind of stuff is in the tube that comes with the CPU cooler.

Do you have any idea how hot your GPU on your graphics card is getting? Another factor.