i'm on my first winning game in Civ IV and my brain is melting

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
this has to be the best civ ever made, no seriously.

Civ 5 has that RIDICULOUS one-unit-per-tile limit that pretty much forces you to rush towards the battlemech. This alone completely ruins the game for me.
And, there's othe rminor annoyances, such as - it's never good to conquer an enemy city, it's always, always best to raze it and bring a settler to replace it. Culture is suuuuuper delicate and cannot be brute-forced in any way.
Anyway, enough with civ v,

CIV IV is the best Civ. It has a bit more fuzzy happiness/maintenance etc, it's actually more forgiving, but not so easy to manage as Civ II - which, was a nightmare of micromanagement. The AI i would say is better, not only for the additional win options it has, but also for the choices it makes.

Civ VI i tried it for a couple games and all my cities (which were maybe 10 squares away from the capital) defaulted to the enemy - while military units were garrisoned in them - without me being able to do anything, at the near-start of the game. Yeah ok, lol.
I like improvements but i am not happy when new Civ games try to move the game system away from Civ I / Civ II.

So i played for several hours and made it to nearly 1900, the Malinese empire has overtaken me in my Civ score (because i've been stacking up combat units), so now i have to take him down a notch. He is a couple techs ahead of me so this might be disastrous .. wish me good luck.

Reactions: sandorski

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
how have you seemingly played every civ game for the last 25 years but this is your first winning game of civ iv? :boggle:

• Haha
Reactions: zinfamous

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
100% agree.

Haven't attempted Conquest since Civ 1. Just not my style. Play Pacifist, until someone has attacked me a few times, then I eliminate them unless it becomes too costly.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Only 5.4% of Steam players of Civ 6 have won on Deity (at least gotten the achievement). I have won on every difficulty level but for some curious (one of the 4X things) reason never won by Diplomacy...

Civ II is still my favourite one though, followed by IV.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yep Civ IV is the best. I never could get beyond 20 or 30 years, I dunno, in any Civ V attempt--and just recently a free Civ VI through Epic Game store...I actually uninstalled it after about 20 turns of game play, lol.

It's only gotten worse, imo.

I really loved Civ III, too, despite its ...issues, and wasn't until the big DLC for Civ IV until I accepted how much better it was.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i fought the Malinese and managed to brute force my way to the capture of their capital and of another large city, against units a full tech tier over, but they could not match my sheer number of units.
In the meanwhile Ghandi has overtaken me, and i have 74 turns left. I will have to rush him and destroy some of his cities to lower his score, but it's water world (despite me picking low water level) and i will need to go through the malinese territory again .. ugh.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
i fought the Malinese and managed to brute force my way to the capture of their capital and of another large city, against units a full tech tier over, but they could not match my sheer number of units.
In the meanwhile Ghandi has overtaken me, and i have 74 turns left. I will have to rush him and destroy some of his cities to lower his score, but it's water world (despite me picking low water level) and i will need to go through the malinese territory again .. ugh.

I always loved bullying Gandhi into declaring war and then beating him down. ....I have no idea why.

• Haha
Reactions: Meghan54

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I always loved bullying Gandhi into declaring war and then beating him down. ....I have no idea why.
Gandhi always was one of the more aggressive leaders; this was probably a joke on IRL Gandhi's non-violence ideology. IIRC the most heated Civ II leaders were Gandhi and Shaka Zulu. I believe that Gandhi had the same AI as the Mongolians, and while the Zulu were more aggressive, they sucked and were easy to dominate if you survived the initial horde of tech 1 units. Gandhi would come at you with nuclear weapons, yo.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Gandhi always was one of the more aggressive leaders; this was probably a joke on IRL Gandhi's non-violence ideology. IIRC the most heated Civ II leaders were Gandhi and Shaka Zulu. I believe that Gandhi had the same AI as the Mongolians, and while the Zulu were more aggressive, they sucked and were easy to dominate if you survived the initial horde of tech 1 units. Gandhi would come at you with nuclear weapons, yo.

The way I heard it, was just that a bug meant a paritcular stat was set as negative instead of positive (or vise-versa) and thus unintentionally turned Gandhi into a warmonger rather than a peacenik? Then people got used to this ahistorical Mahatma, and Firaxis decided to leave it that way?