I'm officially a republican.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: palehorse74
I've never understood why anyone would affiliate themselves wholely with any one party versus another. Are people that desperate to belong to something bigger than themselves? Are most people wandering through life trying to "belong"?

Joining a party seems to indicate that you're willing to support them in all that they do, and regardless of their representatives' stances on individual issues. (Am I wrong?) To me, it screams of ignorant comformity and weakness. Blindly following any one party seems nuts!

To me, being "unaffiliated" is the only sane and proper way to live... You "Party People" scare me.

Hey, look, we agree on something. :D

NJ is a closed primary system.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Registered Unaffiliated.

You have fun spawning your sheep children and going to the megachurch.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: loki8481
just, you know, FYI for anyone who wants to troll me :p

I had to re-register to vote in my new county (I moved back in August from Hudson County down to South Jersey) and had to redeclare a political party (since I guess Independent no longer exists and I would have had to change to either a major party or unaffiliated).

I decided to go R since the D nomination looks like it'll probably be locked up before super tuesday and NJ has a closed primary system.

Congrats I guess. I'm officially a Republican who will most likely not vote Republican in the upcoming presidential election.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: yllus
Impossible. Only heterosexual, religious males are members of the Republican party. :p

Shens, look at all the ultra-conservative hypocrites leading secret homosexual lives. :D

db

Lifer
Dec 6, 1999
Coming out of high school, I registered as a Republican, the party of my parents. A typical move for most people.
Then I started thinking on my own, and the Dems made more sense. I registered Democratic.
In the 90's, the Dem party moved to the right.
Now I am sick of politics as usual--and it's the same in both parties--so I registered as Decline To State (Califorina). I am a mixture of conservative, progressive, and mostly moderate.

Red bullsh*t / Blue bullsh*t. Same ol' thing.

It's time for a change.

badkarma1399

Feb 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
Originally posted by: Phokus
So are you voting Ron Paul or Dubya 2.0? :p

Dubya 2.0 is exactly why I will not vote for Romney, McCain, Huckabee, Thompson, or Giuliani...

also Hillary and Obama.

EDIT: and Edwards

fixed :p *puts on "OMG RONPAULBOT" flamesuit*

Anyways, I registered Republican for the first time to vote for Ron. If it wasn't for that guy, I probably wouldn't have cared enough to register at all.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Citrix
independent here.

and what do you mean unaffiliated doesn't exist?

not sure.

there was a note on the application that anyone registered to vote before such and such date and was independent would have to change to unaffiliated or register with a party.

Isn't "unaffiliated" just a rephrasing of the word independent?

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Independent here. I would rather not be affiliated with Satan's Left and Right Hands. Maybe a better analogy would be left and right butt cheeks :p

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: spittledip
Independent here. I would rather not be affiliated with Satan's Left and Right Hands. Maybe a better analogy would be left and right butt cheeks :p

Wait, if they are the buttcheeks, and you're in the middle... :Q

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005

lol, I am independent, not between parties. Nice try though.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

lol, I am independent, not between parties. Nice try though.

:D

Yeah, sorry, just couldn't resist. :p

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999

I had to re-register to vote in my new county (I moved back in August from Hudson County down to South Jersey) and had to redeclare a political party (since I guess Independent no longer exists and I would have had to change to either a major party or unaffiliated).

I decided to go R since the D nomination looks like it'll probably be locked up before super tuesday and NJ has a closed primary system.

FYI. South Bound Brook is NOT south Jersey. Its Central.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Loki8481 may simply be pointing out an unrepairable flaw in our primary system with our primary system being created as a reform to repair other flaws in previous processes.

But the essential honest dishonesty is here--I decided to go R since the D nomination looks like it'll probably be locked up before super tuesday and NJ has a closed primary system.

So basically in our primary system, any tactic is permitted. You can vote your choice which is the honest way, or you can cross party lines to hope for the oppositions weakest choice, or
any damn fool can do any damn fool thing they want, and deciding to declare R because thats where the exciting contention is this year is a good a reason as any.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: akshatp

if you're unable to see NYC from any single vantage point in a town, it's south jersey :p

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: akshatp

if you're unable to see NYC from any single vantage point in a town, it's south jersey :p

If you say so

imported_hscorpio

Golden Member
Sep 1, 2004
I've never understood why anyone would affiliate themselves wholely with any one party versus another. Are people that desperate to belong to something bigger than themselves? Are most people wandering through life trying to "belong"?

Joining a party seems to indicate that you're willing to support them in all that they do, and regardless of their representatives' stances on individual issues. (Am I wrong?) To me, it screams of ignorant comformity and weakness. Blindly following any one party seems nuts!

To me, being "unaffiliated" is the only sane and proper way to live... You "Party People" scare me.

Many states force you to join a party to participate in the primaries. Otherwise you're forced to sit back and let someone else choose the candidates that you will eventually vote for in the election.

It sucks because more and more people are choosing to be independent, yet we are still stuck in a 2 party system. As the the moderate independents avoid joining the parties and get excluded from the primaries, it ensures the more extreme partisan hacks get complete control over choosing the candidates.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999

Let me get this straight. Because you think the Democratic primary will be sewn up prior to you voting in it, you are going to vote in the Republican Primary for a candidate you have no intention of supporting in the general election. How utterly pathetic, yet typical of the average partisan lefty. Please do us all a favor and *never* bring up any supposed "lie" of any political figure since you are no better yourself.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Corn

Let me get this straight. Because you think the Democratic primary will be sewn up prior to you voting in it, you are going to vote in the Republican Primary for a candidate you have no intention of supporting in the general election. How utterly pathetic, yet typical of the average partisan lefty. Please do us all a favor and *never* bring up any supposed "lie" of any political figure since you are no better yourself.

well, thanks for reading the whole thread... or not ;)

I'd vote for McCain in a heartbeat if he were the R nominee, hence the reason I'm voting for him in the primaries.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Corn

well, thanks for reading the whole thread... or not ;)

I'd vote for McCain in a heartbeat if he were the R nominee, hence the reason I'm voting for him in the primaries.

My mistake then. :beer:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

Closed primaries my friend.

I've been a registered Dem and Repub.

Depends on where you live.

It's not just the Pres primaries, but very important for local elections. In many local elections the only "real" vote is in the primary. In such cases/places the primary winner is always the general election winner.

In the county where I live now, the Repub party dominates local elections. The Dems just all switch party affiliation and run as Repubs here. It ain't no secret either.

Fern