I'm off to the Nissan Dealership to get a bunch of major and minor repairs done.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Ok so of course I go in looking to fix 3 things and they find eight. And the final bill will be close to 13 grand. I don't think the car is worth that much

• Wow
Reactions: brianmanahan

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
There's no way you should pay that much to fix a car. They're just taking you for a ride.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Well it's not the day the warranty ran out. It's 13 years old and is very close to hitting the 100,000 mile mark.
And things like body repair including the fucken door handle my local mechanic can't do. I needed the dealership for that, unfortunately.
I am gonna take it home and have my man deal with the other shit.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Well it's not the day the warranty ran out. It's 13 years old and is very close to hitting the 100,000 mile mark.
And things like body repair including the fucken door handle my local mechanic can't do. I needed the dealership for that, unfortunately.
Body work can be done by many other places, most dealerships don't even do their body work in-house.

Also expect to pay way more for OEM parts vs OEM quality parts for body work.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

... Whut? Door handle? That is very easy lol

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yeah but my local mechanic is strictly a drivetrain guy. I worked on RADAR and radio in the navy. You think I could figure out a for handle, assuming there's videos on the internet?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

Dude.... really? There's a word for folks who service their 13 year old car at the STEALER-ship.... "sucker".

:rolleyes:

Also if your "mechanic" is incapable of fixing something as simple as a door-handle they don't rate the title in any way.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yeah but my local mechanic is strictly a drivetrain guy. I worked on RADAR and radio in the navy. You think I could figure out a for handle, assuming there's videos on the internet?

You can find video of every single repair on youtube lol

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

Idk .... I didn't have any trouble on the several car-door latch's/handles I've repaired over the years and I'm no "skilled mechanic" myself.

In fact I just had the drivers door apart on my Honda the other day although I was replacing the side-mirror. (took about 45 min)

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Idk .... I didn't have any trouble on the several car-door latch's/handles I've repaired over the years and I'm no "skilled mechanic" myself.

In fact I just had the drivers door apart on my Honda the other day although I was replacing the side-mirror. (took about 45 min)

Eh? You just take off the triangle cover from the cabin side and undo a few screws. No need to take door apart no?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Eh? You just take off the triangle cover from the cabin side and undo a few screws. No need to take door apart no?

That was the case in my Elantra and my old Subaru .... 10 minutes and a socket-wrench. My last Volvo was more involved but still fairly straight-forward.

The Honda despite being overall a FAR simpler car then any of the above required removing the inside paned and about 20 bolts/screws of varying sizes in order to get to the bolts actually holding the mirror assembly.

Wasn't really difficult but it WAS a minor pain in the a$$. :confused:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
You'd be shocked at all the things I fuck up without loads of training. The reason I can't fix my own car is on just about any piece of machinery I always break it and need to start over again at least twice. Learning how to build and repair computers was very expensive for me. Most employers hate me for the first few months.

I cannot afford to break my car. I need it to get around. And if the door is flopping loose In the wind I am positive the cops will nail me

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
That was the case in my Elantra and my old Subaru .... 10 minutes and a socket-wrench. My last Volvo was more involved but still fairly straight-forward.

The Honda despite being overall a FAR simpler car then any of the above required removing the inside paned and about 20 bolts/screws of varying sizes in order to get to the bolts actually holding the mirror assembly.

Wasn't really difficult but it WAS a minor pain in the a$$. :confused:

WTF... They really want you to take it in to shop.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
You'd be shocked at all the things I fuck up without loads of training. The reason I can't fix my own car is on just about any piece of machinery I always break it and need to start over again at least twice. Learning how to build and repair computers was very expensive for me. Most employers hate me for the first few months.

I cannot afford to break my car. I need it to get around. And if the door is flopping loose In the wind I am positive the cops will nail me

Then get a different mechanic.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Body work can be done by many other places, most dealerships don't even do their body work in-house.

Also expect to pay way more for OEM parts vs OEM quality parts for body work.

For a car that old, I wouldn't waste the money on getting OEM parts at a body shop or a mechanic. I don't see the Nissan Murano being a "future classic", so you'll never get the money back in the used market.

If it was something like a Dodge Hellcat Challenger that will be worth money as a collector's item someday, sure. For a run of the mill grocery getter? Nah.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I can look around, but there's only one AAA certified business near me, and one thing that's been fairly consistent is I always get ripped off by a non certified mechanic.

Exactly what kind of small town do you live in that doesn't have reputable auto shops?