I'm not sorry, Diablo 4 looks like a hot lazy pile of Diablo3.1

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
Also, I’m guessing queue times are nuts. Hopefully I can even log in tonight.

They are bad, in a way worse than the early access beta. Queue times have been around 30 minutes for me, followed by about 30 minutes to an hour of gameplay, followed by a disconnect from the server, and then you have to get back in the queue again. Have done this twice now. Early access beta had way longer queues first day but at least once you were in you were fine.

Bright side is that they fixed queue times for early access beta by Saturday mid day, so hopefully they will pull it off again (Though there has to be way more people trying to logging in than last week).

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
So... I'm so turned off by this game. And I went in with a lower expectation. I played the beta just now. I finally figured out what didn't sit right with me.

The amount of hand-holding, dumb UI, big World-of-warcrsft map at top right, bright golden circle markers...

The skill tree is like a mobile game.

It's so much hand holding to the point it doesn't feel scary at all. It's a shame because the intro vid set a good tone.

Who the hell said this is darker towards D2 than D3?

I loved D1 - perfect dread and creepy vibe.
D2 was a loot mechanic perfection and had amazingly varied gameplay.
D3 was okay. I wasn't a hater either.
D4.. come on. I played a bit few hours ago. I haven't even craved it since.

The Fextralife youtube said it correctly, it feels like a World of Warcraft MMO in an isometric ARPG view. This isn't Diablo.

I have zero peronal problems with queues and heavy traffic issues. That's to be expected and it'll come and go. Unfortunately the game sucks.

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
So... I'm so turned off by this game. And I went in with a lower expectation. I played the beta just now. I finally figured out what didn't sit right with me.

The amount of hand-holding, dumb UI, big World-of-warcrsft map at top right, bright golden circle markers...

It's so much hand holding to the point it doesn't feel scary at all. It's a shame because the intro vid set a good tone.

The Fextralife youtube said it correctly, it feels like a World of Warcraft MMO in an isometric ARPG view. This isn't Diablo.

I have zero peronal problems with queues and heavy traffic issues. That's to be expected and it'll come and go. Unfortunately the game sucks.
i was actually impressed by it. maybe because i didn't play WoW much? i also opted for the "veteran" settings - not sure how much that changes the level of hand-holding. i don't mind fundamental mechanics being introduced the first time. the tooltips went away after that.

the pace is much slower and more deliberate than D3, and even D2 to an extent. the overall environment (lighting, music, background sounds) adds a really nice element. the voice acting on some of the less-disposable NPCs has been good so far.

am i going to pre-order? hell no. especially if space marine 2 comes out at the same time. but so far i'm liking what i see quite a bit.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005

Part of my issue you have covered (hand holding, looks like D3 & Immortal had a baby, queues were 70m+ when open started and near 0 a few hours later) but my big bugbear is the move towqards micro managing skills for melee. I have found Life on Kill items but no life leach/life on hit. There's so much reliance on buffing you, debuffing them, crowd controlling & then hoping you have enough resource to use a damage dealer skill. Barb & Druid both feel broken in the first 25 levels. Rogue feels like a nerf from D3 & Sorcerer is the only class that seems to just work. Not gonna pre order this, might buy it when it's on sale for like £20 or less.

Feb 4, 2009
Gotta try this before beta ends. From what I am reading I suspect this isn’t something that will hold my interest long.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
It is Beta after all, think ques won't be an issue?
100%

This Diablo 4 isn't going anywhere because it'll be a live service game with numerous years of battle passes, seasons, and events for continued revenue stream.

Launch day traffic spikes are just that. Launch day spikes.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Played a bit of it. Melee is not in a good place right now. Lack of good AOE and crowd control really limits what sort of builds you can play with. Seems like the only feasible path is some sort of thorns build, which is boring IMO.

Reactions: Ranulf

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
It took me about 20 minutes to log in and played for about 45 minutes. I had some frame drops, but otherwise had fun as a sorcerer. I think I like the stronger focus on narrative as well.

Considering it’s a beta months away from release, I kind of expected it to be highly unbalanced.

Coalfax

Nov 22, 2002
Wanteds to at least try this as a beta but every time I tried to log in it was at least a 30 minute queue. I am not just going to sit around and wait to try something I am not even certain of. Guess I wait until its actually released and they fix the queue crap... maybe six or so monbths from now. Will also give time for others to determine if its even worth it. Reviews are a definite benefit to this.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
1 min queue tonight in the late evening. Intro quest ran fine, game auto put settings at high. Once I was in the main city I was getting a lot more stuttering, even after dropping down to medium settings. Game was using 12Gb of ram and 8GB of video ram. Fans rarely went above 1000-1500rpm.

Game looks nice at least. Not a fan that I can't use more than two spells until level 8 or so.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I was pretty pumped to try out Diablo IV during the Early Access and the Open Beta. I mostly looked forward to playing Necromancer, but at this point... I don't know. I'm debating whether I should just refund the preorder. I'm sure I'd enjoy playing the game, but I've got other ARPGs that I still have to play more of (Last Epoch, Wolcen, etc.), and I could easily wait for a sale... especially since Diablo IV's $70 price tag seems a bit ridiculous given the quality of the product.

• The open world areas are just too vast and empty. It seems like they're designed toward mount use, which means that it's just cumbersome when having to trek it on foot. (It reminds me a bit of how painful some areas of Final Fantasy XIV's Heavensward expansion could be without a flying mount.)
  • Dungeons are just as uninteresting. This is a worrying remark because dungeons are meant to serve as an endgame mechanic when combined with affixes. (I assume this is similar to World of WarCraft's Mythic+ system.) I've gotten to the point where I just ignore mobs in dungeons because there's just no point. I'm tired of running them, and you have to do them on every character to get the renown points.
  • Character customization is interesting, but there don't seem to be very many options. I think the one in question that seemed the most lacking to me would be hairstyle... especially given how hair is at least one thing you can still see often from an isometric perspective.
  • Itemization seems to be in a rather weird state. At least in the beta, you seem to get weapons/armor that have a significantly lower requirement than your level, and their power is still appropriate to that. Saving items for alts makes the game feel so much different, and to a degree, far less punishing. (Especially for gear-oriented classes like Barbarians.) Legendaries don't seem to be nearly as unique anymore as it's possible to get two separate items with the exact same legendary bonus. (I've got two pants on my Necromancer with a different name and the same bonus.) The idea seems to be to lean heavily on the Occultist to transfer powers between items.
  • The UI feels unfinished. This was a bit of an odd one for me as a good chunk of the UI is fine and has the Diablo aesthetic that you'd expect. However, some of the status text appears to be using the most basic presentation... one that you'd expect from someone creating a quick demo in Unity and not a $70 AAA game. Some aspects of the UI seem to be much worse such as the presentation of advanced tooltips. Rather than placing ranges directly after the number in question, all numbers are placed at the end of the entire text. This becomes awkward for Legendary bonuses, which tend to have multiple values.

In regard to queues, Blizzard stated that they were setting things up to cause queues early on to help test their system. Although, in regard to queues, I think Blizzard did drop the ball on making sure to properly convey the queue state to players. That may sound a bit weird because the game does display the queue state; however, it does not display it when you're trying to play couch co-op on console. To play couch co-op, the first player has to sit through the entire queue, log into their character, and then the second player selects their console account, which is tied to their Battle.net account. If all is going well, the person just simply chooses the character (or creates a new one) from a pop-up menu. However, when you're dealing with long queues... absolutely nothing happens. That's because the second player is actually sitting in the login queue, and there's absolutely nothing to tell you that. Honestly, I thought the game was just broken when I ran into that problem!

Reactions: DeathReborn

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

TBF, the majority of budget in every Blizzard game always goes to their FMV, all the way back to Warcraft 2, (I think WC 1, as well, but I don't really remember).

They always look pretty and well-produced, and never the greatest indicator of the quality of the overall product.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
So after reading these comments sounds more and more like I should wait until after the expansion is released, game is balanced for the most part then revisit to see if most of these issues are resolved.

Reactions: Fanatical Meat

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
TBF, the majority of budget in every Blizzard game always goes to their FMV, all the way back to Warcraft 2, (I think WC 1, as well, but I don't really remember).

They always look pretty and well-produced, and never the greatest indicator of the quality of the overall product.
Youre talking to a blizz nerd. I did not imply their FMV was an indicator of the quality of their gameplay. It's an indicator in darker art direction which lots of fans liked saying it's more like D2 than D3 in terms of atmosphere.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
The only blizzard games you should play are from the glory days of the past. Everything modern is garbage and the company itself is long dead to me.

I would whole heartedly agree with this if it weren't for Overwatch.

OW was their long ambition to add a brand new IP next to Warcraft / Starcraft / Diablo universe. It was their passion project as well. OW2 is pretty damn lackluster to give it a '2' title. It basically turned it into a live-service game with neverending seasons and battle passes (aka revenue stream).

OW is pretty damn good - the lore is good enough, characters are fun and engaging, and gameplay is spot on.

That being said, OW was released in 2016. OW '2' was last year which is same thing.

This D4 thing really put the nail in the coffin for me.

hardhat

Dec 4, 2011
So it turns out that the betas have had extremely increased loot drop rarity. Basically you would only get 1/3 of what you did in the betas in the full game. So that makes it a lot harder to evaluate if the game is too easy. Guess I'll have to wait for release.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
So it turns out that the betas have had extremely increased loot drop rarity. Basically you would only get 1/3 of what you did in the betas in the full game. So that makes it a lot harder to evaluate if the game is too easy. Guess I'll have to wait for release.

They did increase it for the Open Beta but I got more Uniques from Closed beta then the Open one. I did get more rares, less white & blues in the Open beta & a boatload more gems. Overall I foiund the item system underwhelming, I was still getting lvl 3 & 9 items @ lvl 25 & no item over lvl 20 requirement dropped at all for me. My Necro was a blood build & kept getting Summoning items, switched to Summons and got Bone items dropping. Frustrating it was.

bguile

Nov 30, 2011

That seems like the right amount to me. I had about 25-30 legenderies in my stash after both betas. Probably more than half came from gambling at the purveyor. (It felt like a legendary would drop every 3 or 4 tries at it). So having 8-10 legenderies plus the aspects you get from dungeons, and you should be able to get at least one decent aspect to boost your damage.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
most of my legendaries came from gambling as well.
Im pretty sure they tweeked the odds so we could play with dismantling and builds.

The necro is and was ABSOLUTELY broken silly with the blood mist and corpse explosion legendary sword.

CodeBeholder

Jan 18, 2023
I agree, the OG Diablo was one of my favorite games as a kid, and I got in on the D2 beta and had fun discovering amazing bugs like bone-wall farming... but I just couldn't get into Diablo3 it was just too much of the same with nothing really improved. Aside from some barely noticeably improved graphics, I really cannot see how Diablo4 is even a new game. That said I wasn't expecting much, Blizzard hasn't had a good release in quite awhile.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I agree, the OG Diablo was one of my favorite games as a kid, and I got in on the D2 beta and had fun discovering amazing bugs like bone-wall farming... but I just couldn't get into Diablo3 it was just too much of the same with nothing really improved. Aside from some barely noticeably improved graphics, I really cannot see how Diablo4 is even a new game. That said I wasn't expecting much, Blizzard hasn't had a good release in quite awhile.
Looks pretty boring actually. I played the Beta and couldn't even finish it. It's super hand-holding with super brightly colored UIs. Skill tree is pretty underwhelming and weapons diversity is a backward step from D2.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Played a bit of the server slam on pc. I previously tried Diablo 3 on PS5 but the necromancer voices are completely broken in that game and they never got fixed.

Tried the same character on pc and I immediately am put off by the controls. Clicking everywhere with the mouse is annoying unless you just want to hold and drag the mouse.

I keep hitting keys on the keyboard during combat and this brings up random menus. As for the gameplay it's more of the same. Seems like it could be fun with people to play. Nicer graphics are a decent touch.

For some reason in this version I can't get full screen and anytime I don't touch the mouse my screen saver comes on as I have it set to be enabled if there is no activity after a minute.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Well, at least they fixed the graphics settings. Game runs pretty well now at 1080p on "high" settings. I had a few stutters in town but combat was fine. Not a lot of people playing though this morning to mid day. Game was using around 8GB of system ram and all 8GB of the 2060S' ram.