im not playing video games anymore...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cougar78

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2004
www.forthinc.com
I've been pretty burnt out on mmorpgs for awhile. I quit wow and I haven't been really playing any console games. I am waiting for GTA 4, the next Guitar Hero game, and Assasains Creed.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Yep, same for me. Mostly multiplayer games are losing they're interest with me. Back when SC:BroodWar was first out, multiplayer was great. These days with WoW, Halo, Gears, all the big games, are just so "blah."

Playing Old Ps2 games is way more relaxing/enjoyable than "Wild Card Draw 4 bitch, its green"

Maybe I need a Wii...

effee

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2004
My grandma still plays videogames. (even though its on the wii)

guess its not a phase

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: NanoStuff
Congratulations, your maturity is now LVL 2. LVL 3 is when you realize there is no association between maturity and playing games, lose your false sense of superiority and return to playing video games.</end quote></div>
I think that might be my new sig.

As for me, I got tired after I played BG2 for the tenth time.
Nothing else comes close and probably never will. NWN2 almost had it, but the controls still arent right.
After being let down by Supreme Commander I realized I will never be impressed by a video game again.

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Heen05
its just that i feel like i matured enough to finally stop playing them as much and pursue other things.

Originally posted by: Regs
I know what you mean. Get older you only want to do things that will make you money or make you "prosper" in a career. Some of us start a little later than others...

Why do people think gamers only game and have no life? You can do both: Game and pursue other activities.

Do you non-gamers who pursue "higher activities" not watch TV?

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
You'll come back to it. I usually take breaks from gaming every year or so, but only for a few days, maybe a few weeks over the whole year.

raystorm

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
I don't think I'll ever quit gaming though now its more seasonal for me. I play a ton during the winter since its really too cold to do anything. During the summer I just go out more thus my gaming time dwindles dramatically. This is a pretty good thing really since all the big releases for console and pc come out around Christmas so its all good.

I admit that I don't play as much now as I used to but I still love a good multiplayer game to play with friends that now live far away and also I play lots of xbox live stuff with my brother who lives a bit away from me.

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
I don't ever see myself ever not playing computer games and being a PC hardware enthusiast. I have loved computers since I was old enough to use them, probably around the age of 3. At least half the fun of games for me is the hardware side, the thrill of upgrading, tweaking, being rewarded with better graphics and performance.

I don't give a sh* about the supposed maturity issue. Video games are like any other inanimate object IMO .. I have a 4.0 and a strong career path plus lots of other hobbies. A successful life is an issue independent of whether or not one plays video games during leisure time.

I will say though that the last year or so has been a bit disappointing in terms of good games, and there have been a lot of frustrations with delays and such as well, but hopefully that's just a phase. I'm really looking forward to the swath of games coming up, UT2007, Crysis, Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, etcetera

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Regs
I know what you mean. Get older you only want to do things that will make you money or make you "prosper" in a career. Some of us start a little later than others...

Erm, I do both thanks. Gaming is just one of my hobbies.

Gaming and prospering in your career are not mutually exclusive.

KT

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
My father gave up video games about 4 years ago (played them the bulk of his life, first with the Atari 2600 all the way to CounterStrike), he was mid 40s then. Actually, he was the one that got me hooked on video (PC) games growing up. After my uncle (his brother) started missing work and stayed at home to play everquest while running up long distance phone bills talking to his guild (my aunt threatened to leave him if he did not give it up), my father thought that he might turn into that, I guess.

He switched over to TV, he has not come back to video games.... as a matter of fact, I would say that he is more hooked on TV than he ever was on video games.

I have reduced my video game input due to increased work load from my college classes (college is significantly more challenging than high school), still play them though, just not as much. I also rarely play multiplayer games anymore.

Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Sounds like somebody has WoW burnout. Don't worry, your Druid will be there waiting for you three months from now.
:laugh:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
My dad was insanely addicted to Mario and Zelda, he even made maps of the world for the first quest. (Nintendo Power only had a map for the second quest.)
It continued on to Super Mario World and Link To The Past but his addiction ended when I joined the Navy and left home. By the time the N64 came out he no longer cared. Which is probably just as well. Neither one of us cared for the idea of a 3D Mario.

Never caused him any career problems but he was an avid book reader and that hobby slowed down quite a bit.

GundamSonicZeroX

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2005
I've found that playing games of a different genre will rekindle my interest in games. Sometimes, I just need to do something else. You can also get a console (the DS is a good choice) for some simple games that don't require a lot of time. I was on a classic PC gaming streak (I bought a whole bunch of games at a sale and didn't play most of them until recently) and quickly got bored. I DLed a Sega Saturn emulator and played some games of Mario Kart on my Ds and now I'm ready to polish off the remainder of my games. Also, take a look at some smaller game developer's games. You'll find some real gems there. :)
Bottom line: If you want to rekindle your interest, you can.