I'm losing respect for my mom

dpopiz

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
for most of my life, I've been a lot like her. I've thought like her and shared her opinions and such. but now I'm realizing gradually that a lot of the ideas she has and the way she treats people is awful, and she seems to think she's better than everyone else, but at the same time thinks she's open minded. it's kind of sickening too to realize that she's infected me with all this stuff I hate about her now.
anyway, just wanted to get that out of my system and see if any of you have had the same experience and can share some advice

Papagayo

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2003
As you get older and wiser.. you notice that your parents aren't as smart as you thought they were..
Either way, she is still your mom and you need to respect her because of that.

Shuxclams

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: dpopiz
for most of my life, I've been a lot like her. I've thought like her and shared her opinions and such. but now I'm realizing gradually that a lot of the ideas she has and the way she treats people is awful, and she seems to think she's better than everyone else, but at the same time thinks she's open minded. it's kind of sickening too to realize that she's infected me with all this stuff I hate about her now.
anyway, just wanted to get that out of my system and see if any of you have had the same experience and can share some advice

dpopiz, I would seek out Ala-Non or Counsuling. Having had this realization you would likely benifit from some outside help that can help reconcile what it is in your mother that makes her seem so negative.

SHUX

LSUfan

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2003

Have you ever talked to her about the way she acts?

RedPickle

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2002
Eh, don't worry about it too much. As long as you love your mother, you do not have to share the same ideas. You should always respect your mother for raising you, and other things too. I also see certain aspects of my mother's personality that are not perfect, but all in all I wouldn't trade her for no other mom.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
As you get older and wiser.. you notice that your parents aren't as smart as you thought they were..
Interestingly I've noticed the exact opposite. As I become older and wiser I realize that my parents were right in many occasions when, as a stupid teenager, I thought they weren't. I'll be on the same crash-course myself, surely watching my own kids as know-it-all teenagers pretend as if they've already figured out the world at the ripe age of 17 :)

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Take from her what you like (In terms of values, not possesions) and bring your own that you like, but remember, there are reasons behind everything

If she has some old school opinions, it may be because of how she was brought up or forced to live. I don't know your family so I can't say specifics, but try and understand why she has those opinions versus just being against her.

Also, you should be picking the best of everyting but try and do this from a non biased/selfishness way because depending on your age, it could be one of the most important things you do.

shimsham

Lifer
May 9, 2002
Originally posted by: AgaBooga
Take from her what you like (In terms of values, not possesions) and bring your own that you like, but remember, there are reasons behind everything

If she has some old school opinions, it may be because of how she was brought up or forced to live. I don't know your family so I can't say specifics, but try and understand why she has those opinions versus just being against her.

Also, you should be picking the best of everyting but try and do this from a non biased/selfishness way because depending on your age, it could be one of the most important things you do.

:beer:

your parents are still human, even tho as a child you may not have realized it.

dpopiz

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
ok, I guess the main thing that annoys me is that all my life she's been acting like she's really open minded and liberal and recognizes her faults and sees things more clearly than anybody else, etc etc all that good stuff. but I just figured out that actually she almost never recognizes her faults, just those of other people, she doesn't see things clearly, and she refuses to change her mind or even consider other views about some things. but she still thinks just the opposite.

she's usually way too logical to be human really. she's like a machine in that she doesn't really have any concept of human feelings and just processes things logically without considering them. but when logic is against her, she decides it doesn't need to apply to her. she sorta has a double standard. somthing can be totally wrong, but it's ok if she does it.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Originally posted by: AgaBooga

OTOH, some people are just flaming assholes and beg to be derided and mocked to their graves. :Q Nobody here knows the real story, we have only heard bits and pieces of one side. Withholding judgment would be prudent.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
How old are you?