Im looking to do something in finance when I grow up and was wondering what I should be taking in college

NinjaGnome

Platinum Member
Jul 21, 2001
I will be going to purdue this fall and am looking for a degree that will pay me well in a job in the business sector. I like math and business a lot and was looking at getting possibly getting one of the following degrees. The only problem is im unsure of what kind of job I would be able to get with one of the following.

MBA in management with computational finance specialization
MS in statistics with CF specialization

If anyone could help me out that would be great, I dont want to waste my money on a degree that wont get me anywhere.

venk

Banned
Dec 10, 2000
Whatever you take, make sure you get a 4.0 or know somebody high up in the biz.

aswedc

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2000
Finance at a good school like Purdue usually equals investment banking. The question to know if that's for you is, "Do you want to work 80 hours every week?"

NinjaGnome

Platinum Member
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: aswedc
Finance at a good school like Purdue usually equals investment banking. The question to know if that's for you is, "Do you want to work 80 hours every week?"

no

NinjaGnome

Platinum Member
Jul 21, 2001
Im not looking for a crazy amount of money in a job, I would actually prefer to work from home if possible.

aswedc

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2000
Originally posted by: NinjaGnome
Im not looking for a crazy amount of money in a job, I would actually prefer to work from home if possible.
You're not going to get that unless you work for yourself.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
I graduated 6yrs ago with an accoutning dcegree so take this for its worth:

Get a BS in Business Administration with an emphasis in Finance. Take your pre-business core for the first 2yrs and then transfer into the business school for your upper division.

I would get a minor in Economics and take a few extra accounting classes to set yourself apart from others.(Tax, Cost, Intermediate) Join the finance club and do your best to get into an elected position.