I'm just not built for the buisness world...

tec699

Banned
Dec 19, 2002
I just got done watching Donald Trump's new show (?-someone please help me with the name) and it just confirmed my hunch that I could never work in buisness. I could never deal with the deadlines and stress that I would encounter day in and day out. There is no way in hell that I would last one week, let alone thrive in that type of atmosphere. The payoff is sweet though... big house, new cars, etc. But I'd probably die from stress anyway. And also, I'd have to give up computers, internet use and gaming because those would be considered a waste of time and when your serious about climbing that all important ladder time is the last item that you want to mess with. I mean, Donald Trump and other highly successful buisness people would probably frown on computer use.

So who works in buisness and does Trump's show actually portray what you go through day in and day out?

*It's a good show if anyone hasn't seen it yet.

freakflag

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2001
I, personally, would have smacked Sam right across the mouth instead of giving him my stupid urban cowboy hat.

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
Actually everyone who holds a job works in business. It's either their own, someone elses, mom's, dad's, whatever. So how did you survive school? They have deadlines too, and some of them are really harsh.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
blah.

You can choose to work in a place/industry/career that has high pressure deadlines and such. OR you can choose a job where you glide through the day and still make bank...

/*gliding along

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002
Originally posted by: TommyVercetti
Actually everyone who holds a job works in business. It's either their own, someone elses, mom's, dad's, whatever. So how did you survive school? They have deadlines too, and some of them are really harsh.

What about teachers, they don't work in a business.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
I'm not a businessman, I'm a software developer, but I love the deadlines and high-pressure stuff.
I was getting a little bored until last week when we started on a new project that has a very firm deadline and a ton of development and testing to get done.
I spent 16 hours programming yesterday and I've been at work for about 12 hours so far today.
I'll probably be working at least 70-80 hours a week for the next four weeks. I know I'll be burnt out by the end of it, but I'm having fun with it right now.
Basically, if I don't get my development and testing done by Feb. 14th, our plant will have to shut down production. And that would be very very bad. We lose about $20,000 for every hour of production downtime. Just a little bit of pressure.

But I'm still wondering wtf the corporate IT guys were thinking when they scheduled the go live date for a new ERP system for Valentine's day at 10:00 p.m.

badmouse

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2003
The Apprentice is a TV show, silly. If you're going to be in business, you work with what you've got. Trump is shallow, showoffy, garish, and he was born into the real estate business (and he's quite a good real estate businessman). It works for him.

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
hahahah. its funny, but the personalities that you see there are pretty typical of those in the b world.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000

I work for a state government. There is virtually no stress. Occasionally I will get a deadline, but 9 times out of ten it can float. Not a good place to be for a procrastinator like myself.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

But, in the business world, some of the projects that might get assigned to you are "pet projects" that certain managers like you to do so they look good. You know darned well that the project is a B.S. project - and provides worthless value to the company, however, you must press on because your manager can either make or break your career.

So who works in buisness and does Trump's show actually portray what you go through day in and day out?

I did the "corporate life" for 17 years. Granted, much of it was in various application support, customer support and vendor management roles. The rewards - while good, are not always given to all people. For every person who appears to be "successful" - there are probably hundreds - if not thousands of employees who are doing their daily "work" and not nearly as successful as that one person who gets portrayed in the spotlight.

Corporate Life: Been there, done that. Now, I'm doing something meaningful - a business for myself.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Oh, another thing that I realized is that it's really not about how much education, certification or "smarts" that you have. In the end, it all boils down to how well you can present things and articulate issues. If you can't do either of these two, the education doesn't do much for you in the business world.