I'm in Italy, Origin wants to charge me 70 Euro's for BF4, can I pay States price?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Do you have any friends in the states who can buy it and send it to you over steam as a gift? Just pay em back and you are good to go.

I would rather do this. But BF4 isn't available on Steam? Unless things have changed. I was pretty upset having to use Origin to play BF3, and I don't think you can gift on Origin?

Edit, and I am a bit confused by that VPN business.

el-Capitan

Apr 24, 2012
VPN = Virtual Private Network. A private, encrypted tunnel within the internet.

You dial into a (US-based) VPN server. Now all of the traffic from your computer will be routed through the server and its internet connection. To the outside (Origin servers in this case) it will appear as if the requests are coming from the US.

My wife travels much into China, so I have one setup so that she can access uncensored news, Facebook, Netflix as well as our LAN files and local Plex server. My brother in Germany also uses it to activate games that release earlier in the US than in Europe

felang

Feb 17, 2007
Purchasing off of Amazon should have a digital option, I think they would simply provide you with the Origin code and away you go. I do not know if the code they provide you would be regionlocked however.

Another idea might be to have someone in the US log into your Origin acct and make the purchase.

Additionally, Steam does alter pricing and availability for different regions.

I´m in Central America and this is exactly what I did. Preordered digital version off of Amazon. You should get a key to register on Origin before release.

Or you could try to buy from a cd key site like for example:

http://www.cdkeyhouse.com/origin-keys/548-battlefield-4-china-rising-gold-pack-cdkey-origin.html

Last edited:

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
No. I am in the Marine Corps, on deployment in Italy. Periodically doing missions in Africa. Just did a two week mission, have another two week one soon, followed by a 9 week mission. I get paid in American Dollars, which sucks because the Euro is much stronger. It's $137 Dollars for 100 Euro's. Guess how much the Marine Corps gives me a day to eat? $15 American dollars. I can't eat on that, but don't even get me started.

I guess I will research the Amazon option, thanks to all.

Wow... That's completely unfair. Aren't there "American" stores somewhere at the base where they sell food at American prices for American dollars? It would only make sense to do so.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Wow... That's completely unfair. Aren't there "American" stores somewhere at the base where they sell food at American prices for American dollars? It would only make sense to do so.

If he is on a base, they have a BX / PX and commissary that are designed to allow people on base not rely on the local economy. In certain countries there are a ton of restrictions on what you can and cannot buy (such as appliances) because of the chance of black market sales off the base. Korea used to be (not sure if it still is) one everyone talked about. Buying a fridge for a few hundred dollars on base could sell for a few thousand just outside the gate. But they tracked the purchase, and if you didn't ship it home or have proof you sold it someone else on base, you're probably going to jail.

OP, I'd suggest looking at Aviano if you're anywhere near there. Air Force bases generally are better stocked from what I've seen.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003

Yes there is. I am on a large Navy base, that has a very nice commissary and px. However like I said, we don't have a fridge, microwave, stove, etc. So no way to cook, or save anything. So it's sammiches, chips, granola bars, or anything else that doesn't need to be heated up or saved in a fridge. And like I said, a lot of it goes towards water. There is no Air Force base anywhere around here.

I will look into the VPN. It sounds nice, because I tried Netflix and it said it wasn't available in this part of the world yet. Said the same thing when I went to Africa. Annoying.

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
I'm in Italy for the next several months, when BF4 comes out. I do not want to pay 70 Euro's, that's close to $95. Can I pay States price? I didn't change location on Origin, it changed itself. Steam doesn't give me this problem, I have bought a few games since here when they were on Summer sale, and I paid normal American dollars. Would it give me an issue when going back to the States if I did buy here, region or language wise?

Buy from a key shop, it's way cheaper.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
So the home page of Origin store is in Italian. I figured I would click it anyways, when I did it went to English. I added it to cart, and it gave me a dollar amount. But then when I go to check out with either paypal, or visa it gives me an error. I have money in my paypal to cover it, even so it's linked to my checking which has enough in it. My visa/debit card is linked to the same checking account. Either way won't let me finalize it, so annoying. I chatted with an Origin rep a year or so ago about a BF3 problem, was fast and easy. I can't seem the find the option now. I guess at this point I will just wait for the PX to hopefully get it close to release. It would likely take me forever to download it on this broken internet.

To make matters worse, BF3 no longer works like it always did. Gives me an error after trying to join a server. Says the "Battlefield 3 has stopped working", and gives me no other option but to close program. Did a little research, seems to be a Windows 8 problem. I deleted local PB files, re installed and updated it and did other things people said worked. Won't launch the damn game. Ugh!

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
One of the best uses of a VPN, in my opinion.
There's no reason to be forced into the pricing of another country when you are only staying for a while.
I doubt the people who make the game would actually have a problem with it, either, even if the ToS says otherwise.

You can get a month's subscription for a VPN for a few dollars. Well worth it, especially if you use subscription services like Netflix, too.

Wouldn't it be illegal to do this with a VPN though ? Plus he would get higher pings in the game while using the VPN?

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
VPN = Virtual Private Network. A private, encrypted tunnel within the internet.

You dial into a (US-based) VPN server. Now all of the traffic from your computer will be routed through the server and its internet connection. To the outside (Origin servers in this case) it will appear as if the requests are coming from the US.

My wife travels much into China, so I have one setup so that she can access uncensored news, Facebook, Netflix as well as our LAN files and local Plex server. My brother in Germany also uses it to activate games that release earlier in the US than in Europe

Doesn't what your brother does in Germany could get him ban from Steam or Origin ?