I'm having a hard time finding a job in Orange County......

Delta6Echo

Jun 1, 2007
Hey ATOT,

I have been trying to find a job for the past few months, but haven't had much success. I did get a few interviews and everything is great up until the point of the call back.

I feel like I've been really close to being hired, but I think that something always goes wrong at the very end and I don't end up getting an offer. I have experience in marketing, advertising, sales, real estate, and have worked for two non-profit organizations.

I have a bachelor's degree in Public Relations and I am tri-lingual. Public relations is writing intensive so I always show employers writing samples and they are typically impressed.

I just feel like I am looking in the wrong places. What can I do to get more interviews and eventually a full-time job? Any tips?

Also, what websites besides Yahoo/Monster/Career Builder can I use? I see the same jobs posted over and over again and don't get too many responses via e-mail.

Thanks in advance for any insight :)

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
1. Career Builder and all those other sites can show you entry level jobs, but they are geared more towards experienced people, so there are lots of missed oppurtunities if that is all you are doing.

2. job market for new graduates suck. Not many companies are willing to invest in the new comers lately. I know because I have been looking since May also.

3. If you notice, some of the same jobs get posted over and over again. Don't bother with them. The company is trying to build its resume portfolio for when they actually do want to hire. It could be months or even a year before they actually do hire for that position or a similair one.

4. Do a search for companies in your area. Lots of these companies never post on Monster or yahoo because they rely on recruiters to get workers for them.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Have you tried any local recruiting agencies? I've had good luck working with them over the years.

BTW-Do you mean Orange County, CA? God I hate it when people say the OC like it's the name of an actual town somewhere...:roll:

Delta6Echo

Jun 1, 2007
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Have you tried any local recruiting agencies? I've had good luck working with them over the years.

BTW-Do you mean Orange County, CA? God I hate it when people say the OC like it's the name of an actual town somewhere...:roll:

Yes, I mean Orange Country Metro, sorry. Where can I find out about local recruiting agencies?

Delta6Echo

Jun 1, 2007
I also tried Craigslist....no responses. As far as the Blizzard job, I have a friend that works there but there aren't very many jobs in the business sector. Why would you hate living in Irvine? :(

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Delta6Echo

Yes, I mean Orange Country Metro, sorry. Where can I find out about local recruiting agencies?

No problem. Just a minor detail.

I'll see if I can get a referral for you.

Delta6Echo

Jun 1, 2007

No problem. Just a minor detail.

I'll see if I can get a referral for you.

That would be great....thanks! I have been trying to find jobs in public relations but there seem to be very little in Orange County.

Delta6Echo

Jun 1, 2007
Originally posted by: SoundTheSurrender
Well there's your problem. You got a degree in Communications.

No, I got a degree in public relations. It is just listed under the communications department at my university.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000

No, I got a degree in public relations. It is just listed under the communications department at my university.

PR is communications.

Maybe they don't think that you are slimy enough to be a PR person, which is a compliment actually.

Delta6Echo

Jun 1, 2007
Originally posted by: OdiN

PR is communications.

Maybe they don't think that you are slimy enough to be a PR person, which is a compliment actually.

I'm not limiting myself to public relations, any business related job is alright with me. Any kind of position involving writing copy or creating marketing/advertising materials would also work.

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
You know the saying "It's not what you know but WHO you know." :)

Have you tried networking at all? How about checking with your alumni association from your university? Do you know anyone working in Public Relations who can tell you where they got their start?

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
Hey ATOT,

I have been trying to find a job for the past few months, but haven't had much success. I did get a few interviews and everything is great up until the point of the call back.

I feel like I've been really close to being hired, but I think that something always goes wrong at the very end and I don't end up getting an offer. I have experience in marketing, advertising, sales, real estate, and have worked for two non-profit organizations.

I have a bachelor's degree in Public Relations and I am tri-lingual. Public relations is writing intensive so I always show employers writing samples and they are typically impressed.

I just feel like I am looking in the wrong places. What can I do to get more interviews and eventually a full-time job? Any tips?

Also, what websites besides Yahoo/Monster/Career Builder can I use? I see the same jobs posted over and over again and don't get too many responses via e-mail.

Thanks in advance for any insight :)

That was your first mistake.

Second, if your writing is so good, something else must be inhibiting you from obtaining employment. My guess is that your interviews suck. A great writer who can't talk himself into a job is not a good hire.

Jump in on savoyboy's thread about how to be more social.

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
A degree isn't worth nothing if you don't have sociable skills. Besides, finding a job in this country is going to get harder and harder and require more and more work, what makes you so special that someone should hire you right away? Your bachelor's degree? What are you 21/22?

Why does every one who just graduated believe they are entitled to a great job? Maybe you ask for too high a salary or maybe you have nothing to show but a couple of internships. Find a job at the bottom @ $10/hr and work your way up like every other hard worker does. But no, you won't get out of bed for $10/hr would you?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: CasioTech
A degree isn't worth nothing if you don't have sociable skills. Besides, finding a job in this country is going to get harder and harder and require more and more work, what makes you so special that someone should hire you right away? Your bachelor's degree? What are you 21/22?

Why does every one who just graduated believe they are entitled to a great job? Maybe you ask for too high a salary or maybe you have nothing to show but a couple of internships. Find a job at the bottom @ $10/hr and work your way up like every other hard worker does. But no, you won't get out of bed for $10/hr would you?

i bet he'd get out for tom welling :D

kevnich2

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2004
Sorry but I think you're degree is a somewhat limiting factor. You probably need to really expand your horizons and look for something outside of communications or public relations. Nobody wants to hire someone that has zip experience anymore. You will definitely have to start from the bottom and work your way up, to prove yourself.

Delta6Echo

Jun 1, 2007
Wow......putting me down now? I'm just looking for a entry-level job. I guess that is asking for too much. I don't have any social skills? You guys don't even know me, yet you're jumping to conclusions. I have plenty of experience and I'm a hard worker, ask any companies that I worked for.

I appreciate all the positive feedback ;)