I'm gonna be a dad!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aurareturn

Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Duddy

Which certification would be best to start with that could help me score a $40K or more salary?
Cisco offers a certificate for networking and can get you lots of money.

Duddy

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by: aurareturn

Which certification would be best to start with that could help me score a $40K or more salary?
Cisco offers a certificate for networking and can get you lots of money.

Thanks, I'm looking to get a CCNA and then a CCNP. That should help get me started in my career.

Airs

Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: WingZero94
Wow, so many negative responses! This guy is a real man if he is going to stay with this woman. I applaud you. It will not be easy, that is for sure. Give this child and woman your best, they are depending on your leadership now. I have 3 kids (all under 3) so feel free to PM me if you have questions. Congrats!!!

I know quite a few women that would be pretty offended by this :p

Xyclone

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Canai
Originally posted by: Sphexi
Has the kid been born yet, or just conceived?

Concieved. 5 weeks ago appearantly.

Are you/her pro choice?

I'm pro choice but she's pro life.

Congratulations, you're a dad! If I was you, I would continue my college education despite having a newborn, so you can make more money in the near future (better opportunities for your kid and a more comfortable life for you).

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Geekbabe
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Don't listen to these freaking webaholic losers with no lives who think life is all about wacking off to pron and playing Xbox.

First of all, this is something you should accept. You had sex knowing what could happen. It will be a cornerstone of the foundation of your character to not try to weasel your way out of this........many times in the future you'll draw upon the strength acquired from accepting the consequences of your actions.

Second of all, WTF else are you going to do with your life that will be more worthwhile? Are you going to cure any diseases? Bring about world peace? Tell you what you can do, you can be a father to a child who will look up to you and count on your love and you can support a woman who found you special enough to share very deep intimacy.

Third, as a father of two young kids myself, I can tell you there is nothing else in the world that even comes close to hearing your child laugh. Seeing qualities of yourself and his or her mother come through in his or her personality. Having them adore you just because you're their dad and doing your absolute best to help them grow up happy and healthy.

It's not easy. It's heartbreaking at times; it's frustrating at times; it can be scary; it will be frequently exhausting. But those are things that will come with doing any great thing. You're young and that will turn out to be nice. Having kids while you still have energy and are flexible and so you'll be in your late 30's when they graduate high school.

You say you're pro choice. Who's choice? Hers? She'd made it........now live up to your pro choice stand and support her choice.

you're on here just as often as those " webaholic losers" though aren't you?
Obviously not as much as some. And, clearly, a lot of the people here aren't just very active on the web, they're freaking shutins and emotional trainwrecks. Many are normal people like you and me who pop in here during breaks, but not the people who reply to pregnancy threads with "sucks to be you" and "run".
Sorry but I think children should be planned,for and actively wanted by both parents,not merely some "consequence"

First of all, who couldn't want a child? Anybody who doesn't has a screwed up mindset and viewing the magic of having a child as a negative thing should be an instant indicator to them that they are out of focus. Somebody name something more worthwhile and more rewarding and more joyful.

So, I saw you won $10,000 in a drawing the other day. Did you plan on that? You didn't?! Well then, I'll just assume you plan to abort the money then. :thumbsup:

As for having college and careers and whatnot. Who cares? My wife and I right after being married lived off my $13.50/hr salary in a one bed apartment with $1000 rent for a year and even managed to pay for her to go to school fulltime. We lived very frugally, but we look back on those days with a lot of fondness. Things have changed a lot for the better financially since then but we have the same demeanor we forged during those times. Again, it's all about your perspective. If your goal in life is to keep up with the Jones's, then you are destined for misery and emptiness. If you are going to revel in whatever blessings you've been given in this life, then you will live happy.

Duddy

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by: Geekbabe
Don't listen to these freaking webaholic losers with no lives who think life is all about wacking off to pron and playing Xbox.

First of all, this is something you should accept. You had sex knowing what could happen. It will be a cornerstone of the foundation of your character to not try to weasel your way out of this........many times in the future you'll draw upon the strength acquired from accepting the consequences of your actions.

Second of all, WTF else are you going to do with your life that will be more worthwhile? Are you going to cure any diseases? Bring about world peace? Tell you what you can do, you can be a father to a child who will look up to you and count on your love and you can support a woman who found you special enough to share very deep intimacy.

Third, as a father of two young kids myself, I can tell you there is nothing else in the world that even comes close to hearing your child laugh. Seeing qualities of yourself and his or her mother come through in his or her personality. Having them adore you just because you're their dad and doing your absolute best to help them grow up happy and healthy.

It's not easy. It's heartbreaking at times; it's frustrating at times; it can be scary; it will be frequently exhausting. But those are things that will come with doing any great thing. You're young and that will turn out to be nice. Having kids while you still have energy and are flexible and so you'll be in your late 30's when they graduate high school.

You say you're pro choice. Who's choice? Hers? She'd made it........now live up to your pro choice stand and support her choice.

you're on here just as often as those " webaholic losers" though aren't you?
Obviously not as much as some. And, clearly, a lot of the people here aren't just very active on the web, they're freaking shutins and emotional trainwrecks. Many are normal people like you and me who pop in here during breaks, but not the people who reply to pregnancy threads with "sucks to be you" and "run".
Sorry but I think children should be planned,for and actively wanted by both parents,not merely some "consequence"

First of all, who couldn't want a child? Anybody who doesn't has a screwed up mindset and viewing the magic of having a child as a negative thing should be an instant indicator to them that they are out of focus. Somebody name something more worthwhile and more rewarding and more joyful.

So, I saw you won $10,000 in a drawing the other day. Did you plan on that? You didn't?! Well then, I'll just assume you plan to abort the money then. :thumbsup:

As for having college and careers and whatnot. Who cares? My wife and I right after being married lived off my $13.50/hr salary in a one bed apartment with $1000 rent for a year and even managed to pay for her to go to school fulltime. We lived very frugally, but we look back on those days with a lot of fondness. Things have changed a lot for the better financially since then but we have the same demeanor we forged during those times. Again, it's all about your perspective. If your goal in life is to keep up with the Jones's, then you are destined for misery and emptiness. If you are going to revel in whatever blessings you've been given in this life, then you will live happy.

Thanks! You have given me the best advice and I am now looking forward to this adventure because of what you and my dad have said. Which were pretty much the same thing.

I still can't imagine myself being a dad now, but I guess I'll get over that eventually.

Airs

Jun 21, 2001
Hero, not everyone has a great relationship with the mother of their child. This can complicate things. Just because you had some holy experience doesn't mean thats what always happens. Having a child with the wrong person can really F up your life (and the child's).

toolboxolio

Jan 22, 2007
This child is going to be ****** up if you let ATOT advise you during your fatherhood.

As for getting laid.... two thumbs up!

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: airs
Hero, not everyone has a great relationship with the mother of their child. This can complicate things. Just because you had some holy experience doesn't mean thats what always happens. Having a child with the wrong person can really F up your life (and the child's).

And thats why we're here to encourage the OP to stick with his GF, and maybe marry her and help support the baby.

L

Lola

best wishes OP for a very postitive and wonderful journey you are embarking on.
I am sure you are at a loss of how to think or feel right now, but i assure you, you will look back with fondness if you take the right mindset.

It is up to you and your GF to give this person soon entering the world the best life possible. If you can do that with love, understanding and knowledge, your life will be more fullfilled than you could ever have imagined. I long for the day that i can post a thread like this (saying i am expecting a child) so take whatever advice you want and start planning. :)

Duddy

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by: Boo Boo
shoulda double wrapped,

you sure its yours?

Yes I'm sure. :p

It was conceived on my birthday. And I totally know why. :)

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000

That's entirely your opinion. I know couples without children who seem to be doing just fine.