I'm going to be presenting this speech today. I hope my professor has a sense of humor.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Yeah, not the brightest idea in the world. You're supposed to take it seriously. Pretend you're teaching a photography class and I'm in it. You assign a project where I have to take several photos highlighting key elements of composition, lighting etc, put them together in a visually pleasing manner on a posterboard, then present it.

Instead of putting my name and class name on the assignment, I take a quick snapshot of me in class.

I take a quick shot of the floor because it's artistic, art is subjective and you can't say it isn't artsy.

I then take a picture of the mona lisa and photograph some pages from a photo enthusiast magazine. I claim they show art, style, and all the elements you're looking for because they're great photos. And you can't say they're not good because they got into the magazine.

During my presentation I say I did it cause I had to, and my photographs exhibit the interaction of photons with a CCD. Oh and your class sucks and is BS. And I know I can take good photos anyways.

Give me a good mark.

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: montypythizzle
In this post, I will try to describe Mike Huckabee's animadversions in such a way that my language will not offend and yet will still convey my message that all of Huckabee's diatribes are burdened by a specious magniloquence...

Dude, you got some vocabules.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: TuxDave
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Attention Getter: Put up a picture of Kevin Spacey. All white people look the same (I'm Asian)

That was really stupid.

How would you feel if I was in your class and I did a presentation where I put up a picture of Kim Jong-Il and said that all Asian people look the same? (I'm White)

You'd be using a common stereotype. He's using a parody of a common stereotype, SNL style humor.

:thumbsup: I thought it was funny. Mike Huckabee DOES look like Kevin Spacey. And people DO have difficulty recognizing differences in people of other races.

Yet I'd be labeled a racist if I did what the OP did.

Feb 6, 2007
Attention Getter: Put up a picture of Kevin Spacey. All white people look the same (I'm Asian)

That was really stupid.

How would you feel if I was in your class and I did a presentation where I put up a picture of Kim Jong-Il and said that all Asian people look the same? (I'm White)

You'd be using a common stereotype. He's using a parody of a common stereotype, SNL style humor.

:thumbsup: I thought it was funny. Mike Huckabee DOES look like Kevin Spacey. And people DO have difficulty recognizing differences in people of other races.

Asked and answered.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: silverpig
Yeah, not the brightest idea in the world. You're supposed to take it seriously. Pretend you're teaching a photography class and I'm in it. You assign a project where I have to take several photos highlighting key elements of composition, lighting etc, put them together in a visually pleasing manner on a posterboard, then present it.

Instead of putting my name and class name on the assignment, I take a quick snapshot of me in class.

I take a quick shot of the floor because it's artistic, art is subjective and you can't say it isn't artsy.

I then take a picture of the mona lisa and photograph some pages from a photo enthusiast magazine. I claim they show art, style, and all the elements you're looking for because they're great photos. And you can't say they're not good because they got into the magazine.

During my presentation I say I did it cause I had to, and my photographs exhibit the interaction of photons with a CCD. Oh and your class sucks and is BS. And I know I can take good photos anyways.

Give me a good mark.

This is exactly what I was thinking. You made it a joke and got a joke for a grade. The fact that you are peeved is beyond me.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
In my Public Speaking 100-level course I gave a speech on why hippies should take a bath. That one got an A. My only A that semester.

Skeeedunt

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2005
Originally posted by: djheater
I've responded in your quote. I once was as stubborn as you actually and I got poor grades because of it more often than not. Here's some friendly advice, sometimes you have a choice in life whether to be right or to be happy. Always choose happy.

I dunno about always, but yeah, pick your battles.

I think silverpig's post pretty much nailed it. It's not like high school where you can just tell everyone to cram it and expect to get a B+.

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Originally posted by: shocksyde
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
Originally posted by: SynthDude2001
Originally posted by: dug777
Anyone but a democrat in '08 :cool:

fixed

Good luck with that. There's no way in hell a republican wins the presidency.

Unless Billiarly gets nominated and then the dems have really lost thier mind!

On topic...Public Speaking as a class sucks, theres very little you can do to avoid it

Parasitic

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Jawo
Originally posted by: shocksyde
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
Originally posted by: SynthDude2001
Originally posted by: dug777
Anyone but a democrat in '08 :cool:

fixed

Good luck with that. There's no way in hell a republican wins the presidency.

Unless Billiarly gets nominated and then the dems have really lost thier mind!

On topic...Public Speaking as a class sucks, theres very little you can do to avoid it

Avoid it as a class or avoid the fact that it sucks?

If as a class, sure you can - it's called being an engineer.

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
Eh, I've done the same thing in a speech. I got good grades, although I got interrogated right afterwards. Twas fun :)

The thing is - you have to do it in a manner that is not only funny to students, but to the professor. In other words, you can't be directly mean to them.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy

That was really stupid.

Asked and answered.

Okay, I just googled Mike Huckabee and I can concede that he does, in fact, look kind of like Kevin Spacey. It's still a fine line...

I guess if it was an intro to public comedy speaking course I'd have no problem. :laugh:

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
There is a difference between using well timed humor in a presentation and making a joke of the presentation itself. Sounds like you did the latter.