I'm getting screwed by my workstudy! Help me back up my argument.

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Ok, workstudy has started, and at my school, you get a raise for each year you work at the same job. So if you one year, and return the next to the same job, you would get a raise.

I started my job three years ago, which was a Level III job. Level III jobs get paid 7.00. Level II gets 6.25, and Level I gets min. wage. However, last year the position changed from Level III to Level II, so I would have gotten 6.25, plus a raise, sending it to 6.35. I was angry, as some of the others who were there last year. Finally, the department decided to keep all the people who were there the year before at same pay (7.00 or above). So last year, I didn't get a raise.

This year, I also didn't get a raise. However, those who started to work the same job (at a lower pay) that started last year, got a raise from $6.25 to $6.35. The department again decided it wasn't fair to those at lower pay to give a raise to those who have been there longer and at higher pay.

So basically, I think because we got this job before the change of Levels, we are getting screwed. Last year I got screwed (didnt get a raise), and this year it seems that I will get it again. What the heck? The job is pretty simple and is in a computer lab. I could justify a raise by telling them my computer skills (would have done it before, but didn't chose to take on the repesonsibility of a lab technician), but would rather fight on the principle and fight for those who are not getting a raise.

I'm thinking about quitting on the basis of principle, but the money is pretty good for the job we have to do. I so freakin' miffed about this.

I'm probably go talk to the head of the department and discuss this. I'm gonna need some stuff to back my argument up and rebute (sp?) what they are gonna say.

Sorry for the rant and thanks for any advice.

Dan

403Forbidden

Banned
May 4, 2000
ahhh workstudy....college days...get paid study heheheh...that is if your smart and get a job where you don't have to do anything

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
I really don't do much, that is why I kind of want to stay. Easy job, pretty good pay. Its the politics that is gnawing at me.

I wouldn't call me school at the cutting edge of technology. I mean, the whole place is run by MACS. Anyways, the department don't know jack about computers; they didn't hire a sys admin for about 15 computers. They just have a guy come in once in a while when it is broken. There isn't much room for advancement from the school from my skill, and if there is, I haven't seen it.

I know there isn't much of an incentive to give me a raise, but its the principle of the matter. I mean, how would you like to work the same job, thinking you would get a raise every year, but not get one and have the people who get lower pay at the same job get a raise every year? Its the principle of the matter. I probably know the most out of all of the people who work there, I just don't show it.

Oh well, at least they "upgraded" from WIN95 to NT. Problem is that they are Pentium 200 or 266 with 32MB of RAM. Way to go eh?

Thanks

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Baby,

If you think it's not fair accept the Level II position with the raises, it will be LESS money. You are getting more money than they would pay anyone doing the job now so DEAL with it. Besides the fact that life ISN'T fair...

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
You think that sucks I do the same damn thing and my raise only went from $6.36 to $9.36 :p coarse I am working the nightshift 40 hours a week and I'am also suppost to be the night helpdesk guy but they haven't set that up yet.

Warrenton

Banned
Aug 7, 2000
When you entered the program you were guaranteed to get a raise each year. You were entered the position at Level III and they choose to grandfather those who were Level III when they changed it to level II. Because they kept you at Level III you are still in the level III program that you originally entered. This means they are required to give you the raises. Did you sign an agreement? I assume you did, and on that agreement does it anywhere say that they reserve the right to alter it at any time. If it doesn't say that, not only do they have to honor the original agreement and give you the raise, they have to give the raise that the already skipped giving you. And if you wanted to get technical, and they didn't reserve the right to alter the agreement, they may even owe you damages for breech of contract.

DanC

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2000
You're being screwed. Go to the Dean... march right in and refuse to leave until he hears you, or you're arrested.

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Its not really about the money, but rather what they told me upon hiring me. Sure life isn't fair, so why should it be on my end? I've been there longer, so they are saying that since you worked here longer, you don't get a raise.

I'm going to look into what the policies are. This is the second year that me and others have been screwed over royally.

I don't think I they made me sign anything, since they wouldn't be smart enough to think about it.

Phalkon

Banned
Aug 20, 2000
Verbal agreements can be kinda tricky.

I'd go talk to some people at your school. Get some stuff sorted out. Find some other people who may have been screwed over by the same deal and get it sorted out. At the very least get a solid reason why they won't give you a raise.

Personally, I'd never do a workstudy or co-operative education AT the college... my school tries to screw everyone out of money all the time. Either way, getting $19/hr at a reputable company beats out getting $8/hr at my school :)
If thats your only option though, stick with it... at least its some money.

Damn us broke College people :p