I'm drinking the stuff to clean me out for a colonoscopy tommorow

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
Your first one? If it's your first, it's gonna hurt a little, but inside you know that hurt is just the tip of the iceberg, the FUN iceberg. Ahh.. wish I could do it all over again.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I had one done last year. Also had an upper endoscopy the same day. I had to take Fleet Phospho-soda (sp?), man that stuff really makes you go. I must have gone 12 times in one day. It was like every 2 hours.

Oh yeah, the drugs, man you'll be knocked out cold. At least I was. Worst part was the gas when I got home from the hospital. My whole system was full of air.

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
Originally posted by: ReelC00L
I did it just a few months ago. It sucks. I feel your pain. On the plus side, the day before is the worst part. The procedure is nowhere near as bad as the not eating and cleansing.

Actually, it is; you just don't remember it because of the drugs:D

File this under the category of "If I don't remember it, it never happened." Those drugs were good stuff.

v3rrv3

Golden Member
May 26, 2002
I feel ya in a way :p I had to get an upper GI done and had to drink only 30 oz of some white stuff. Made my crap white, if you look you may be able to find my locked post about white poop :p

- Kevin

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
What's a colonoscopy thread without a post from Crappopotamus?

:D

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
Yes, I've ordered my wife to have a cheesburger standing by after I get back. I can eat immediately after, right, RIGHT?!!!!!

:p

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Originally posted by: buyer262000
Yes, I've ordered my wife to have a cheesburger standing by after I get back. I can eat immediately after, right, RIGHT?!!!!!

:p

yes, but you won't want to. i slept for 3 hours after my 'scope... the anestesia they give you makes you very very tired.

btw... why is your doctur still using that garbage golytely??? i had a 'scope done 5 months ago, and a bottle of phospho-soda and two cans of ginger ale is all i needed.

Bootprint

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Orsorum
I demand pics when this is all over.

And a :beer: for you.

Cheers!
Nate

I was hoping for a 30minute mp3, as they pump all that air in to him.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
At what age is it a good idea to start getting colonoscopies done? And for the people who have, what prompted you to do it?

jemcam

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
You're going through the worst of it. I had mine done last June, and after I got through the cleaning out phase, it was easy.

Besides, the actual procedure I kind of enjoyed because the drugs were the BEST! I loved that buzz! Oh, and you don't remember a thing, so don't worry about that. Look forward to a nice buzz after you wake up.

You'll sleep like a baby when you get home, and you'll fart like you never have in your life. Best of all, you don't have to apologize to anyone.

jemcam

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Mani
At what age is it a good idea to start getting colonoscopies done? And for the people who have, what prompted you to do it?

It's usually not recommended until age 50 unless you've had some kind of problems or if there is a high rate of cancer in your family. I did mine right after my 40th birthday because my Dad died from colon cancer.

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
I'm 31 . . .

I kept turning toilet water bright red. . .probably hemmaroids (spelling?). . .just peeking to be sure. . .

Doc told me to start eating a cereal called 'Fiber One' and since then I've stopped the bleeding - so probably diet and job related ( I sit alot ).

Fiber one is pretty cool, you get 100% of your fiber allowance in one cup of cereal. Doesn't taste bad either . . .

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Originally posted by: jemcam
Oh, and you don't remember a thing, so don't worry about that. Look forward to a nice buzz after you wake up.

i woke up as he was extracting.... damn was that painful.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000

i was diagnose with Ulcerative Colitis (a form of Crohns) when i was 22.... ever since then, every 3 years i have to have one done.

AbsolutZero

Oct 16, 2000
Same here, I was dx with Crohns when I was 14 and weighed 72lbs, had surgery when I was 16. Have had colonoscopy and upper GI's every 3-5 years since.

That golytely is crap, I feel for you. Agree with the others that this is much worse than the actual procedure. I had to drink a gallon of something 10 years ago that tasted like liquid soap. Ack!

milagro

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2001
Originally posted by: guyver01

i was diagnose with Ulcerative Colitis (a form of Crohns) when i was 22.... ever since then, every 3 years i have to have one done.

so assuming you live to about 85 you'll have 21 of these...wonder what the record is

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Originally posted by: buyer262000
Doc told me to start eating a cereal called 'Fiber One' and since then I've stopped the bleeding - so probably diet and job related ( I sit alot ).

Fiber one is pretty cool, you get 100% of your fiber allowance in one cup of cereal. Doesn't taste bad either . . .
I've never tried Fiber One, but I do eat Kashi Good Friends Cinna-Raisin Crunch regularly. It doesn't look like it has quite as much fiber as Fiber One, but it's pretty good and still has 10g.

C'DaleRider

Jan 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
Originally posted by: ReelC00L
I did it just a few months ago. It sucks. I feel your pain. On the plus side, the day before is the worst part. The procedure is nowhere near as bad as the not eating and cleansing.

Actually, it is; you just don't remember it because of the drugs:D

Thank God for Versed............ :D

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
I've never tried Fiber One, but I do eat Kashi Good Friends Cinna-Raisin Crunch regularly. It doesn't look like it has quite as much fiber as Fiber One, but it's pretty good and still has 10g.

Fiber One has 28 grams of Fiber in one cup, just looked at the box. . .