Im confused about omega 3 :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
How much should I be taking? Ive read all kinds of things ranging from 1 cap a day to 20 caps a day to 3 spoonfulls of high DHA stuff etc.

What ive ascertained so far is "omega 3" caps are pretty meh and I should be taking something with a high level of DHA and EPA. The question is how much of each of these is enough?

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
At least 1g EPA if you're an athlete, although I take 3g with sardines in olive oil almost every night. 500mg EPA should be fine for non-athletes.

CoconutWarrior

Apr 2, 2014
I shoot for 1000 mg of DHA a day. Always best to try and get it through food, but supplementation is nice "insurance policy". If you decide to take fish oil, I recommend getting the liquid over the caps. Omega 3's are more bioavailable in this form.

CoconutWarrior

Apr 2, 2014
Also, consider cod fish liver oil or krill oil over fish oil. Cod fish liver oil in is, in my opinion, far superior as it also provides fat soluble vitamins that most people are in need of (particularly Vitamin D).

ViperXX

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2001
Chia seeds are a great source of healthy omega-3 fat. I add two tablespoons to my smoothie each morning for my daily dose.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Based on the reading I've done, people who have spent a lifetime with Mediterranean style diets with fish consumption live longer healthier lives and statistically have lower risk for heart problems and other issues.
Fish+fresh vegetables = good

Fish oil tablets the result of manufacturers trying to make a buck on those statistics by saying that because the the fish oil came from a fish you automatically get all the benefits of a diet high in fish and fresh vegetables.

While most research has shown that fish oil tablets do nothing, some research has shown that going nuts on it will -> http://www.webmd.com/prostate-cancer/news/20130710/too-much-fish-oil-might-boost-prostate-cancer-risk-study-says

Sep 29, 2004
Based on the reading I've done, people who have spent a lifetime with Mediterranean style diets with fish consumption live longer healthier lives and statistically have lower risk for heart problems and other issues.
Fish+fresh vegetables = good

Fish oil tablets the result of manufacturers trying to make a buck on those statistics by saying that because the the fish oil came from a fish you automatically get all the benefits of a diet high in fish and fresh vegetables.

While most research has shown that fish oil tablets do nothing, some research has shown that going nuts on it will -> http://www.webmd.com/prostate-cancer/news/20130710/too-much-fish-oil-might-boost-prostate-cancer-risk-study-says

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...ting/in-depth/mediterranean-diet/art-20047801

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Here is my anecdotal case, so , FWIW
Myself and two kids started taking a daily fish oil pill about four years ago to help with ADHD issues and allergies from what I had been reading at the time
Since then we have all outgrown various allergies, me and boy to cats and daughter to milk. She was probably going to get past milk anyway because we were dealing with an allergist but it happened fast, like 6 months after daily regimen
Enough that we got a cat as a pet where I couldn't be in the same room as a cat before.
I can't comment on ADHD as its such a slow process and the kids were in grades where the points don't matter, however the boy seems to be doing well in school these days

Also, this time of year I used to get skin eczema on my hands and elbows now I hardly get it at all anymore.
Finally I work at a place that puts omega3 in seed crops via research. From the scientists perspectives when I talk to them they say, yes we don't get enough in our NA diet however we don't need as much as what is being promoted either. This is from the guys who read all the journals and articles regarding omega3 in our food systems.

So, one a day works for me and mine, and I feel that making it available is what is important and your body is best to moderate what is absorbed vs excreted

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
fwiw i got past milk alergy with no fish oils of any kind! hehe just something you get past i guess hahaha.. idk i take fish oil for fun with flax seed and all.. will prob switch to cod liver oil after this thread just for fun also..

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
All I know is my doctor put me on Lovaza, now I take over the counter fish oil, but my cholesterol dropped 15 pts in 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.