I'm canceling my subscription to Chicago trib.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Why you ask? i swear EVERY fucking day i read about some kid who gets shot in violence. oh and its not the kids with guns its some bystander who happens to be playing in a fire hydrant!

trib link

I swear it's getting ridiculous. i swear its almost daily i read of someone getting shot.

WTF is going on in Chicago this year? i don't remember a year as bad as this.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Chicago is a very large city and these crimes are isolated to very specific (poor and minority) sections of the city. Random tourists are not affected by this. Don't move to the South or West side hoods and you won't have to deal with this kind of violent crime. See the official crime map here: https://data.cityofchicago.org/Public-Safety/Crime-Map-2012/bj7p-98q2

we know that.

but how does that change that chicago is fucked? i don't remember a summer with so many shootings or murders.

but yes going to something like Shed or such is safe.

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
we know that.

but how does that change that chicago is fucked? i don't remember a summer with so many shootings or murders.

but yes going to something like Shed or such is safe.

Because Chicago isn't fucked, just those areas. You have a population that has multiplied like crazy but has no work ethic and survives largely on government funds. It's pretty much like the TV show The Wire. There are large, structural problems that need to be addressed in order to fix these areas.

But most people, deservedly so, don't worry about it because it doesn't affect them. I'm not just talking like going to the loop either, but living there. My friends who live in Wicker Park, Logan Square, Lakeview, West Loop, etc. all feel very safe. So what if shooting go up in an area that isn't even close to me?

Dec 30, 2004
Because Chicago isn't fucked, just those areas. You have a population that has multiplied like crazy but has no work ethic and survives largely on government funds. It's pretty much like the TV show The Wire. There are large, structural problems that need to be addressed in order to fix these areas.

But most people, deservedly so, don't worry about it because it doesn't affect them. I'm not just talking like going to the loop either, but living there. My friends who live in Wicker Park, Logan Square, Lakeview, West Loop, etc. all feel very safe. So what if shooting go up in an area that isn't even close to me?

so, back to which party is in control.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Would it be fair to blame the economy? Not like things have gotten better, folks have just been laying down and taking it since 2008.

There may be something to be said for how blood begets blood. That a vicious cycle of violence is merely perpetuating itself.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
that too. its never one person its like 4-5 every fucking day.

IIRC, Chicago has one of the most restrict gun law. So much for that. Pass more gun law = less gun violent, right? Not from what I see.

a population that has multiplied like crazy but has no work ethic and survives largely on government funds

Xeemzor, you sound like you were talking about New Orleans. Oh, NO has high rate of crime and gun violent too. It has similar factors as you just mentioned.

Last edited:

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
IIRC, Chicago has one of the most restrict gun law. So much for that. Pass more gun law = less gun violent, right? Not from what I see.

You sound like you were talking about New Orleans. Oh, NO has high rate of crime and gun violent too. It has similar factors as you just mentioned.

Yes, but it's become a lot less strict due to the supreme court rulling. You can legally own a handgun in the city now.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

Xeemzor, you sound like you were talking about New Orleans. Oh, NO has high rate of crime and gun violent too. It has similar factors as you just mentioned.

Gun law's only restrict law abiding people from getting guns. it does nothing for the criminal. Chicago is good proof of that.

I think Xeemzor is partly right. its also social.

Yes, but it's become a lot less strict due to the supreme court rulling. You can legally own a handgun in the city now.

It's not that easy. sure you can now "legally" own a gun IF you fill out a very complex set of forms and pay a bunch for that. EVEN then the number is very low on the number people that can buy it.

Witch the city is getting sued YET again over it.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Why you ask? i swear EVERY fucking day i read about some kid who gets shot in violence. oh and its not the kids with guns its some bystander who happens to be playing in a fire hydrant!

trib link

I swear it's getting ridiculous. i swear its almost daily i read of someone getting shot.

Be more active then, you are chosing this route:

ostrich-head-in-sand.jpg

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Tell me again this is anything new in Chicago. Chicago has been a police state since the time of Richard Daley the first and even long before that. As we can go back to the times of Al Capone and even before that.

Nor is Chicago unique, its standard operated procedure all over the country and all over the world. Zimmerman just proves there is no escape in even gated communities. Don't follow that biblical advice, if your eye offends thee, don't pluck it out, get you gun and blow em away. Stand your ground, and never turn the other cheek, shoot first and ask questions later. Such is the advice of supply side Jesus. The founder of our Christian nation and religion.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Chicago is the new Detroit and Oakland. Too bad this country is too PC to discuss the common denominators and what could be done to turn the tide.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The Trib made a commitment a few years ago to report every single murder in the city. IIRC, they were going to put every murder on the front page. Sounds like they are running out of room.

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
Chicago is the new Detroit and Oakland. Too bad this country is too PC to discuss the common denominators and what could be done to turn the tide.

You clearly don't know jack about Chicago.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003

trib link

Wait, so you're saying you are going to cancel your subscription because they accurately report how shitty that city is? Uhhh ok then. Are you going to watch Fox News or MSNBC tonight?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Tell me again this is anything new in Chicago. Chicago has been a police state since the time of Richard Daley the first and even long before that. As we can go back to the times of Al Capone and even before that.

Nor is Chicago unique, its standard operated procedure all over the country and all over the world. Zimmerman just proves there is no escape in even gated communities. Don't follow that biblical advice, if your eye offends thee, don't pluck it out, get you gun and blow em away. Stand your ground, and never turn the other cheek, shoot first and ask questions later. Such is the advice of supply side Jesus. The founder of our Christian nation and religion.

The second most confusing post I've seen on AT I've seen this year.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It's like 1000 degrees outside, so all the gang-banger types are all out and about as they generally can't afford to run air conditioners. Thus, there's a higher probability of running into other gang-bangers from rival gangs.

Look back the last 30 or 40 years ... extremely hot summers = lots and lots of street violence ... cooler summers = less violence ....

Also notice how there's more gang violence in the summer vs the winter ....

Anyhow, this is possibly the hottest summer in recorded history, it's barely the beginning of July and we've already broke 100 degrees a couple of times It's been in the upper 90s like crazy on other days