I'm back from my trip!

BigToque

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Well, I just got home from Banff last night!

After some problems finding a place to stay, we got 3 nights at the Charlton Cedar Court - Loft Suite. The drive there was 16 hours from Winnipeg. On the way there, we split up the trip and spent the night at the Comfort Inn, in Medicine Hat.

Let me tell you, the mountains were AMAZING! Me and my girlfriend hiked up to the top of Tunnel Mountain. We got a few awesome pictures (I'll post them when they get developed) looking out over the area. The whole place was great. On the day before we left, I rented myself a snowboard and headed up to Sunshine Ski Village. I took a 2 hour lesson (I've never snowboarded before) and I was on my way. I had a few spectacular wipeouts (I hurt my neck pretty bad, but its just a sprain) and I've been totally tenderized.

On the way home, I decided to do the whole 16 hour drive in one day cause I didn't want to spend any more money. Just my luck that I got my first ever speeding ticket just outside Swift Current :| I got clocked doing 130 km/h when the limit was 100. The ticket is so fscked up though I shouldn't have got it. I was passing a group of 3 cars that were doing the speed limit (I like being in the front of a pack of cars on the highway cause it makes me feel safer), so I pull out of the slow lane into the fast lane and speed up to pass them. Just as soon as I pull back into the slow lane (now doing about 110), some cop pulls me over! What bull. Anyway, there's no way I am driving 8 hours to show up at some Swift Current court to argue the ticket, so I'm going to plea not guilty and write a letter and hope it all works out. If not, its only a $115 (CDN) ticket so its not like its gonna tear me a new butt hole.

Thats my story, I know you all missed me :)

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Um... hooray?

j/k it sounds like you had a blast. I tried snowboarding myself once, over in heavenly valley in California. I was done for the day when I accidentally got on the lift for a black diamond slope (the bunny slopes shouldn't let you out in front of a black diamond lift)

I stick with skiing now, been doing it for 10 years, those I can take the blacks on and actually have fun.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
I live in CA, so Banff is quite far away, but my parents went there once and sent back postcards. Quite spectacular, if I remember correctly. I even got a Hard Rock Cafe Banff tshirt out of it...

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
So what's there to do in Banff? I'm thinking of visiting a friend in Calgary and I'd like to spend a couple days in Banff.

Cheers,
Aquaman

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
I just got done with skiing today, went to Homewood this time around. Awesome view, it feels like you're skiing right into Lake Tahoe. The snow on bottom side sucked, turned into slush. It was hot too. At least the top was alright, a little icy but that's not a problem. Didn't fall but I do have a sprained left knee, a sprained right wrist, some very sore legs, and an aching back to show for it.