I'm an American Citizen. If You Want to Remain a Cop, Don't Violate My Human Rights

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
No. It was not well said.

The only valid point from the original opinion was that fighting the cops will make things worse.

However, Brovane's idea that you can avoid 99.9% of the problem by not fighting back is false.

Cops harass innocent people all the time because they're pig headed idiots who think they ARE the law. By not challenging the cops, you might avoid immediate death, but in the longer term you will then be subject to other abuse by the legal system or you sit in jail for a few days on some bullshit charge, and even longer term it's further reinforcement for bad cops that they can in fact do whatever they want.

You are still missing the point.

However you are not going to win the argument on the street one-one on front line with LE. Reforms will need to come from the top down.

I can tell you that if you are courteous and don't fight back with LE you will avoid 99.99% of the bad situations with LE. Being a ASS to the cop on the street isn't going to help your situation.

Fighting back against LE never ends well for the civilian. We need to have a conversation about the militarization of the police forces. We need to have cops wear cameras and have squad cars equipped with cameras. We need more transparency with how illegal/criminal actions by LE personnel is handled. We need to make sure all Cops are all aware, yes it is ok for somebody to film you and no it isn't ok to tell somebody to turn off a camera. You can ask them to move back but you cannot tell them to stop filming. However all of this discussion needs to happen outside the realm of day to day inter-action with LE.

There is a time and place to have this discussion and it isn't one-one with the local LE on the street. You need to hold LE accountable at the ballot box and with your local politicians. You have to remember the vast majority of inter-actions between LE and the local population doesn't end with somebody getting tasered.

633624272449666534-Silence_zps31ca038e.jpg

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I can tell you that if you are courteous and don't fight back with LE you will avoid 99.99% of the bad situations with LE. Being a ASS to the cop on the street isn't going to help your situation.

There is a time and place to have this discussion and it isn't one-one with the local LE on the street. You need to hold LE accountable at the ballot box and with your local politicians. You have to remember the vast majority of inter-actions between LE and the local population doesn't end with somebody getting tasered.

And you're missing my point. Bad situations with police are not caused 99.99% of the time by the citizen. They are often caused by the cops themselves, doing their best Billy Badass routine.

It's all well and good to say handle it at the ballot box. But cops don't wait until November to fuck up your life. They do it right there in realtime.

Don't get me wrong, fighting the police isn't a good idea. But cops need to start being held accountable, because right now they are not, and citizens have almost no recourse.

Last edited:

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
And you're missing my point. Bad situations with police are not caused 99.99% of the time by the citizen. They are often caused by the cops themselves, doing their best Billy Badass routine.

It's all well and good to say handle it at the ballot box. But cops don't wait until November to fuck up your life. They do it right there in realtime.

Don't get me wrong, fighting the police isn't a good idea. But cops need to start being held accountable, because right now they are not, and citizens have almost no recourse.

You are not going to hold them accountable on the street. You have to hold them accountable through the ballot box. How else do you propose to hold them accountable?

There is always the exception to the rule and citizens don't always create the bad situation. I think back to the Dorner manhunt and the cops that shot at the two different trucks, because they happened to be trucks. There is nothing that those people could have been done differently and they where still shot at.

However a lot of people miss the simple point of avoiding bad situations with Cops. Don't break the law and you will avoid most of the bad situations with Cops. It isn't rocket science but for some people they have a hard time grasping this concept. I think back to the Rodney king beating. Don't get me wrong the Cops should have been accountable for there actions and people had every reason to be upset. However if King had just pulled the car over I doubt he would have gotten his A$@ beat. If would have just followed officers order's he would have gotten beat. Doesn't make the beating right and ok. Most of the time you have control over how well a encounter with LE is going to go. You being a jerk to a officer being a jerk isn't going to help your situation.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You are not going to hold them accountable on the street. You have to hold them accountable through the ballot box. How else do you propose to hold them accountable?

There is always the exception to the rule and citizens don't always create the bad situation. I think back to the Dorner manhunt and the cops that shot at the two different trucks, because they happened to be trucks. There is nothing that those people could have been done differently and they where still shot at.

However a lot of people miss the simple point of avoiding bad situations with Cops. Don't break the law and you will avoid most of the bad situations with Cops. It isn't rocket science but for some people they have a hard time grasping this concept. I think back to the Rodney king beating. Don't get me wrong the Cops should have been accountable for there actions and people had every reason to be upset. However if King had just pulled the car over I doubt he would have gotten his A$@ beat. If would have just followed officers order's he would have gotten beat. Doesn't make the beating right and ok. Most of the time you have control over how well a encounter with LE is going to go. You being a jerk to a officer being a jerk isn't going to help your situation.

You're a disgusting bootlicker. I'm not sure what else to say.

So what you're saying is that when a cop blackmails a hooker into having sex with him, that's OK because she can vote. If she resists his attempt to penetrate her, it's OK that he beats her to death, because he's the law and she resisted. All she had to do was bend over and take it, and she would have been OK.

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
to anyone who says "THIS" forum has a major bias against cops, is completely wrong.

this forum is like the only place left on the internet you can actually find jackassas defending cops. and that's truth.

yep, it's really that bad.

you must be reading a cop forum as your only other internet activity or something.

Feb 6, 2007
I don't know where y'all live, but we don't vote for police officers here. I mean, yeah, you might vote in a mayor who changes the chief of police, but it's not like a politician is going to come in and fire every police officer and replace them. So "vote them out" is just about as meaningless as voting out a zookeeper; it's not an elected position. What a citizen CAN do with police who are violating civil rights is sue the police department and the local government, but that's hardly a good recourse for cops who consistently abuse power and don't get truly reprimanded or fired.

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
i feel really sorry for all the people in my county... i read the paper, and it's every single day, even the people i thought would NEVER have a criminal case against them, never even come in contact with LEO....

the arrests pages take up like 2 full pages in the paper... that's RIDICULOUS...

thank God i wised up early, and have alot of clients involved with the justice system in some fashion, from cops to judges, to assistant DA's.... i guess i'm officially a "good ole boy." now in my area... but mannnnnn are they getting crazy with the amount of action these days... i had a traffic ticket about a year ago, and just now about a month ago went to court for it.. that's how backed up they are...

we have a 2000 man facility here (cooke county justice center) and that thing basically has a revolving door lol..

one of my mom's friends, typical yuppy, was always dogging on people who get in trouble with the law, always torting that "dont break the law this, dont break the law that, cops are always right, blah blah"

yep, his tune changed quick when his son got busted with a couple grams of mushrooms... looking at some prison time most likely... already ruined his life, drained his savings paying bail, lost his job, now he's sitting at home, jobless (whos gonna hire a felon?) waiting on a court date to fuck him more....

i think if Texas goes blue in the next election cycle, we might catch a break...

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
the very best thing a citizen can do to try to survive this purge, is GET A DASHCAM.

it's actually already saved me from sheriff billy badass once.... he thought he was gonna hassle me, until i calmy pointed out he was being recorded by my dashcam, and i turned it to face the driver window... his tuned changed instantly, i confessed to not completely stopping, apoligized, he wrote a quick warning.... and with kind of a dickesh tone, said "you have a good say sir" kinda rolling his eyes..

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
you won't see me on any cops show... funny thing happens when you deprive a criminal of freedom enough times.. they get smart, reallllly smart, on how not to go back to jail.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
You're a disgusting bootlicker. I'm not sure what else to say.

So what you're saying is that when a cop blackmails a hooker into having sex with him, that's OK because she can vote. If she resists his attempt to penetrate her, it's OK that he beats her to death, because he's the law and she resisted. All she had to do was bend over and take it, and she would have been OK.

Well that is typical for this forum. Disagree with something and the name calling and personal attacks start. :rolleyes:

First rule of avoiding bad situations with Cops. Don't break the law.
Apparently that point went way over your head. You can come up will all different scenarios but in the vast majority of them I have seen the best thing to is to take it and make sure that the evidence is saved if possible of any wrong doing. Will you be completely "ok" but it is beater than being dead. Would you rather have the hooker resist and get beat to death?

Here is some videos with some good tips about dealing with police misconduct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Avs4XwV8U&list=PL0C7C018EE16D13A8

What not to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWuE5ug3cLE&list=PL0C7C018EE16D13A8

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
I don't know where y'all live, but we don't vote for police officers here. I mean, yeah, you might vote in a mayor who changes the chief of police, but it's not like a politician is going to come in and fire every police officer and replace them. So "vote them out" is just about as meaningless as voting out a zookeeper; it's not an elected position. What a citizen CAN do with police who are violating civil rights is sue the police department and the local government, but that's hardly a good recourse for cops who consistently abuse power and don't get truly reprimanded or fired.

Options are limited but action can be taken. Your first thing is to take it to your local city council and express your concerns. If you can get more people together the better. Depending on the size of the city this can have a impact. A smaller city the more impact that this can have. Where I live my city has a contract with the County Sheriff. So yes the city could take action against police misconduct. Be a active citizen. For example let your Congressional Representative and Senator's of you state know your concern about Military hardware going to local LE. Action can be taken. It isn't perfect but fighting with the Cop's isn't the answer if you think they are abusing you.

Feb 6, 2007
Options are limited but action can be taken. Your first thing is to take it to your local city council and express your concerns. If you can get more people together the better. Depending on the size of the city this can have a impact. A smaller city the more impact that this can have. Where I live my city has a contract with the County Sheriff. So yes the city could take action against police misconduct. Be a active citizen. For example let your Congressional Representative and Senator's of you state know your concern about Military hardware going to local LE. Action can be taken. It isn't perfect but fighting with the Cop's isn't the answer if you think they are abusing you.

I'm not really worried about myself. I'm a white, educated, middle-class, heterosexual male, which means that unless I'm actively speeding, I'm probably not going to be stopped by the police for any reason. But what about people who get profiled by the police because of the color of their skin or their socioeconomic status? What's the resource for homeless people having their few possessions taken from them because police are profiling them? What's the recourse for a young black man who is detained and searched for having the audacity to be a young black man? What happens when the police stop being the protectors of the people and start trying to act as the sole authority as to who has rights? Obviously fighting with a police officer is stupid, but so is consenting to illegal breaches of conduct just because someone happens to have a badge. We need a better system for getting bad police off the force.