"I'm an Alaskan, not an American. I've got no use for America or her damned institutions."

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Farang
Again you're depending your argument entirely on voter registration documents (and I assume McCain's denial also), which as I've shown do not completely debunk the allegations as registering as an AIP is completely pointless so if she was only in a couple years it is plausible she would've never changed her registration. Hell I don't even know what my own registration is now, it isn't important.

:yawn;
"To Join the AIP"

Got any more feet to shove in your mouth?

I'll give you some advice for atleast the second time here in this thread - DO YOUR HOMEWORK.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Again you're depending your argument entirely on voter registration documents (and I assume McCain's denial also), which as I've shown do not completely debunk the allegations as registering as an AIP is completely pointless so if she was only in a couple years it is plausible she would've never changed her registration. Hell I don't even know what my own registration is now, it isn't important.

"To Join the AIP"

I'll give you some advice for atleast the second time here in this thread - DO YOUR HOMEWORK.

Yes, I understand a political party would likely encourage its members to change their voter registration. Yes, I have done my homework by showing a Republican voter registration is the most valuable to have in Alaska and that the others are completely worthless, thus it would make sense for AIP members to be registered (or stay registered) as Republicans.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

"To Join the AIP"

Yes, I understand a political party would likely encourage its members to change their voter registration. Yes, I have done my homework by showing a Republican voter registration is the most valuable to have in Alaska and that the others are completely worthless, thus it would make sense for AIP members to be registered (or stay registered) as Republicans.

Ok, so you acknowledge that she never joined the AIP - right?

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001

"To Join the AIP"

Obama was a Muslim. Prove me wrong. Sure, he never reported as a Muslim, never took the steps to become a Muslim, but there is a muslim cleric that swears he was before he converted to Christianity...........

Yes, I made all that up, but the reasoning SHOULD look familiar to you...

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Fair point but if a prominent Catholic priest and a deacon that from all indications aren't nutjobs (I'm assuming both persons quoted are somewhat respectable party leaders or I'm sure we would've got a smear on them already) said Obama attended their Church for a couple of years, while he lived in heavily Catholic district, and took communion then I'd be inclined to believe that he had dabbled in Catholicism for a while.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: TechAZ
non story.

NEXT

She was a member of a group whose primary goal is to call for a secession vote. From the website.

The Alaskan Independence Party's goal is the vote we were entitled to in 1958, one choice from among the following four alternatives:

1) Remain a Territory.
2) Become a separate and Independent Nation.
3) Accept Commonwealth status.
4) Become a State.

Do you people believe everything that the left is throwing at the wall? Sheesh. Bunch of F'n fools.
She has been a Republican since she turned 18 according to voter registration documentation.

Next BS story.....

She can't have participated with this group because of her party registration? Wrong.

Can you imagine the right's screaming if Obama had done this with a secessionist group?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: TechAZ
non story.

NEXT

She was a member of a group whose primary goal is to call for a secession vote. From the website.

The Alaskan Independence Party's goal is the vote we were entitled to in 1958, one choice from among the following four alternatives:

1) Remain a Territory.
2) Become a separate and Independent Nation.
3) Accept Commonwealth status.
4) Become a State.

Do you people believe everything that the left is throwing at the wall? Sheesh. Bunch of F'n fools.
She has been a Republican since she turned 18 according to voter registration documentation.

Next BS story.....

Being a Republican makes joining a secessiont group a non-story? What partisan nonsense.

Can you imagine the right's screaming if Obama had joined a secessionist group?

Uhhh... Hello? Just like before - there is NOTHING that shows her as "joined" or a "member". The facts are that she has been a Republican since she was 18 and thus, not a member of Alaska Independence Party.

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Fair point but if a prominent Catholic priest and a deacon that from all indications aren't nutjobs (I'm assuming both persons quoted are somewhat respectable party leaders or I'm sure we would've got a smear on them already) said Obama attended their Church for a couple of years, while he lived in heavily Catholic district, and took communion then I'd be inclined to believe that he had dabbled in Catholicism for a while.

While I COULD pick apart that (ie, pretty sure you HAVE to be Cahtolic before you take communion in a Catholic church), it isnt the point, and you did make your point. :)

I havent said the rumor is neither right nor wrong... or at least didnt intend to. My points are:

a) no evidence, and in fact evidence to the contrary as far as where she was registered, and
b) assume it was true.. that while not registered AIP, she did have association with them in whatever form, do you (no not YOU... just a general you) REALLY, as an Obama supporter, want to open up the "guilt by association" game (again)? Just typing without really giving it much thought, but I think with the associations on BOTH sides so far, I'd take Palin's "luggage" over Obama's.

Just saying.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Uhhh... Hello? Just like before - there is NOTHING that shows her as "joined" or a "member". The facts are that she has been a Republican since she was 18 and thus, not a member of Alaska Independence Party.

You capitalize NOTHING, and you're wrong. For example, I've just watched an old video of an AIP convention long before she was the VP nominee with the speaker, in a long talk, covering the history of her having been a member of AIP before. There's no good reason evident for these people to have lied, before she was the VP nominee (and not much reason after). It's not conclusive proof, but you're wrong to say your capitalized NOTHING, quite wrong.

For what it's worth, I lean towards supporting the right of secession by states, and would not hold that against her.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Craig234

You capitalize NOTHING, and you're wrong. For example, I've just watched an old video of an AIP convention long before she was the VP nominee with the speaker, in a long talk, covering the history of her having been a member of AIP before. There's no good reason evident for these people to have lied, before she was the VP nominee (and not much reason after). It's not conclusive proof, but you're wrong to say your capitalized NOTHING, quite wrong.

For what it's worth, I lean towards supporting the right of secession by states, and would not hold that against her.

Wrong(as usual). Read what I stated. Sheesh.
NOTHING that shows her as "joined" or a "member"
That is factually correct.

The only things that suggest she was part of the group are some party officials who are making claims. That is it. Everything else(you know...the facts) point to her being a Republican since she turned 18.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: SlingXShot
It seems she was part of AIP: http://blogs.abcnews.com/polit...9/members-of-frin.html

If you go to their site you will see that quote:

http://www.akip.org/introduction.html

You Sir, are a complete idiot, a liar, a troublemaker, or all of the aforementioned.

But Lynette Clark, the chairman of the AIP, tells ABC News that Palin and her husband Todd were members in 1994, even attending the 1994 statewide convention in Wasilla. Clark was AIP secretary at the time.

This, it should be noted, does not square with official records.

Gail Fenumiai, director of the Alaska Division of Elections, tells ABC News that regardless of the impression given to members of the Alaskan Independence Party, "Gov. Sarah Palin first registered to vote in the state in May 1982 as a Republican, and she has not changed her party affiliate with the Division of Elections since that time."

You say with a straight face "It seems she was part of AIP". Did you not read your own damn article? All records indicate otherwise. Except for the ONE individual quoted above, nobody else makes this claim. Everyone involved in the campaign denies it.

Your thread and your post are blantantly false.

I can't even belive this story is fit to print given that they raise an allegation of questionable import, then refute it in the article.

What's next? "John McCain is a homosexual baby killer who practices withcraft" as headline and first paragraph with the article further down going to refute it? And if so, which one of you reading imparied would run here to post it as fact, as the Op did?

Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: QED
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: QED
So is Obama responsible for any quote made at any time by any person from any group that Obama is a member of as well? If not, then why should Palin be?

Last I checked, many people still think he is. So if he got dragged through the mud, why not Palin?

So you admit then, this attack is baseless, and you are just as much of an idiotic moron as the people who drag Obama "through the mud" baselessly? At least you are honest.

Are you agreeing then that the Wright, Ayers, and Rezko attacks were all baseless?

-snip-

Of course the Rezko, Ayers Wright attacks are not baseless; Obama himself admits the connection/relationship. Whatever that may mean is another matter.

But this is an extremely poor, if not outright erroneous, comparison. As the body of the article makes clear, Palin was not a member of the AIP.

An accurate comparison would be to claim that Obama was member of the Black Panthers (which he wasn't, like she wasn't), and then provide a quote (in a mis-leading way so as to attribute it to Obama) like "Kill Whitey".

I don't know when I've seen so much rubbish on these boards.

Fern

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Directly from the AIP website:

Ideologically, the AIP is considered to be a hybrid of conservative Republicanism, populism and libertarianism. Among the issues advocated by the party: the direct popular election of the state attorney general and all judges, the right to keep and bear arms, the privatization of government services, the right to home schooling by parents, and a constitutional amendment to ban property taxes. The AIP, following Vogler's infamous confrontations with officials from the National Park Service and the Environmental Protection Agency, remains steadfastly opposed to environmental regulations and actively promotes the private ownership and widespread development of Alaskan land. Sixty-six percent of the land in Alaska is owned by the federal government and it has fewer miles of highways than New Hampshire.

I dunno... maybe I want to be assocaited with AIP after looking. I like their positions on those issues. *shrug*