I'm about to bake my motherboard in attempt to reflow the gpu, any tips?

ArJuN

Platinum Member
Aug 13, 2005
Is there anything on a laptop motherboard that can't stand the heat? I've taken everything off that has screws including the CPU clip. There are some black plastic sheet like things covering half of it, should those come off? They look like some form of shielding or insulation.

garagisti

Aug 7, 2007
Is there anything on a laptop motherboard that can't stand the heat? I've taken everything off that has screws including the CPU clip. There are some black plastic sheet like things covering half of it, should those come off? They look like some form of shielding or insulation.

Good luck with it. share the cookie, erm results.

I think you may want to scour the internet for someone who may have done the same with your specific motherboard model. I have a laptop whose igp is conked. It is just lying about as it is out of warranty sadly.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I attempted to do it once before with a laptop motherboard with a Nvidia 8400GS GPU onboard.... ended up nuking the whole board, so be careful and read up!

silicon

Nov 27, 2004

What method are you using to bake/heat the MB? if the plastic is not removed then it will melt and there will be a big mess. To reflow solder requires a typically a temp of about 217C for about 10 seconds. You may need to add some flux to help in the reflow. Good luck.

ArJuN

Platinum Member
Aug 13, 2005
What method are you using to bake/heat the MB? if the plastic is not removed then it will melt and there will be a big mess. To reflow solder requires a typically a temp of about 217C for about 10 seconds. You may need to add some flux to help in the reflow. Good luck.

Apparently everyone who has this model has left that plastic on. So my guess is, it isn't plastic or it's stable at high temps.

Right now my plan to create a pocket of air with aluminum foil on all parts except the GPU.

Do you think 200 degrees C for 10 minutes is good? Some people have been going as high as 400 degrees...

I would cover everything but the gpu and try to use a heat gun instead.

I agree. The heat gun was my previous attempt though and it still didn't start up. I've given up on this part so this is kind of a last ditch attempt.

silicon

Nov 27, 2004
Apparently everyone who has this model has left that plastic on. So my guess is, it isn't plastic or it's stable at high temps.

Right now my plan to create a pocket of air with aluminum foil on all parts except the GPU.

Do you think 200 degrees C for 10 minutes is good? Some people have been going as high as 400 degrees...

I agree. The heat gun was my previous attempt though and it still didn't start up. I've given up on this part so this is kind of a last ditch attempt.

i would not go as high as 400C to reflow a solder joint under a gpu. Your idea of using tinfoil to shield the other parts might be good. Normally when a circuit board, in a production scenario, goes thru a long oven with different temperature zones. The preheating zone brings the board up to a certain temperature after which is the solder flow zone where the solder and flux melt under the components to make the electrical connection. What you are trying to do is difficult at best because you need to heat the board also to flow the solder and how to do this is the question. maybe try to direct the heat under the board at the correct spot without overheating other parts.

paul878

Jul 31, 2010
Re-flow at best would give you a few month, what you need is to re-ball the gpu.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011

When you said you used a heat gun, was it a hot air gun on a rework station? That would be the ideal way to fix your problem instead of oven baking it.

ArJuN

Platinum Member
Aug 13, 2005
It didn't solve anything in case anyone was wondering. Time to part it out.

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
That's par for the course. There's a guy in Gilberts, IL who does these repairs. Its like 75 or 80. Takes a few days. Takes longer if you send in an entire laptop , faster if you remove it. He did a dv6000 in a few days. Well worth it.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I've been successful doing this with a hp laptop motherboard that was dead. 250 degrees in an oven for 20 minutes did the trick and while it is used sparsely, my inlaws have had the laptop for 2 years and they only use it for tax return filing anymore.

serpretetsky

Jan 7, 2012
I successfully revived an nvidia 8800gt. Didn't use an oven though. Covered the entire card in foil except the die and the metal shim around the die (i actually made a small foil square for the area between the die and the shim) and then blew heat directly on the processor with a propane torch in wavy motions . Can't recommend this method though, since you can't really tell what temp the processor reaches :).

I tried the oven trick before on an nvidia 8600, but all the electrolytic capacitors ruptured.