I'm a student, do I keep my PC + Laptop combo or buy a gaming laptop?

anthd56

Oct 16, 2013
Hey there, I'm currently a 2nd year Electronic Engineering student halfway through my 4 year course and I have 2 devices at the moment. I have a self-built PC with a Haswell Pentium, 10GB RAM, 500GB Velociraptor, HD7750 and 24" 1080P screen + 19" second montior, along with a Dell E6220 12" Sandy i5 2.5GHz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, HD3000 and 65Wh Battery.

I live about 300 miles from home and spent roughly 4 months a home per year. The problem is, I can't really realistically take my PC home during summer etc so last summer I rolled with just my laptop and it was good enough. But I'm now at the stage of needing to upgrade my PC to fit my needs or I could sell my parts and get a gaming laptop. I've just bought an 8GB stick to replace the the 2x2GB setup, meaning I have 10GB RAM due to only 2 RAM slots. RAM has been an issue lately as I run 20+ tabs on average. I feel like I need a CPU upgrade as I can feel FPS drops when I open something whilst gaming, though the frames jump back up when its loaded. I don't play very much games anymore, just the occasional league of legends game and maybe GTA 5 when that comes out on PC.

I'm planning to just bump my CPU to an i3 or i5, and perhaps an SSD, but for the same amount of money if I sold my laptop and all my PC parts, 24" monitor, Nexus 7 2013 32GB, I could easily get something like the Clevo W550 15" with a i7 4712MQ, 8GB RAM, GT850M, 256GB SSD, 1080p IPS screen, 63Wh battery at 2.2KG or a Clevo W230 with a i7 4710MQ, 8GB RAM, GTX860M, 256GB SSD, 3200x1800 IPS Screen and 63Wh battery at 2KG.
These laptops are significantly heavier than my Dell at 1.6KG and will run hotter with lesser battery life, also I'd have to sacrifice my 24" screen for this. Although I gain portability and the flexibility to take my gaming rig anywhere I go instead. Though in some sense, I feel that I lose the flexibility of having an easily upgradable PC, I don't have to go through the hassle of selling all my stuff and is it worth it when I don't game that much anymore..?

Also if I survive another 2 summers with this Dell (Providing I pass), I'd probably move back home with my PC so I don't need portability anymore..

Do I continue to roll with what I have but upgrade the PC, or accept the trade offs with the laptop?

Thanks in advance,
Anthony

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Though in some sense, I feel that I lose the flexibility of having an easily upgradable PC, I don't have to go through the hassle of selling all my stuff and is it worth it when I don't game that much anymore..?

I think you answered your own question...

denis280

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2011
Do I continue to roll with what I have but upgrade the PC, or accept the trade offs with the laptop?
I myself.keep the laptop.and wait 2 years before upgrading.you must know as a Electronic Engineering.in 2 years things will get better.

Dec 6, 2008
if you know your way around pcs. then upgrading is always the best option. if you dont, then sell and get a gaming laptop with a good warranty . with your prices both options are good.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Ima student.
Find it easier to carry around a lightweight laptop thats just barely sufficient for school.

anthd56

Oct 16, 2013
I myself.keep the laptop.and wait 2 years before upgrading.you must know as a Electronic Engineering.in 2 years things will get better.

I think you answered your own question...

if you know your way around pcs. then upgrading is always the best option. if you dont, then sell and get a gaming laptop with a good warranty . with your prices both options are good.

Ima student.
Find it easier to carry around a lightweight laptop thats just barely sufficient for school.

Thanks for the replies guys. I've decided not to reduce all of my devices to one. I don't want to sacrifice power, portability and my 24" screen. I think I just needed some assurance. I'm planning to get an SSD first, then upgrade the CPU.

Now the question is, do you guys think its worth going from a G3420 to an i3 4160? I just think for multi-tasking or heavier games, the two extra threads should come in handy. Or do I just go for an i5 4570? I have an ASUS H81M-E, which apparently can do some overclocking but I'm not too keen on that so no need for K series. I've logged my CPU usage and it seems like 95% of the usage doesn't even exceed 70% CPU load. Perhaps I shouldn't upgrade? But then I've noticed on my laptop when I've upgraded to an SSD, the CPU load is pushed a lot higher, because now the read/writes are fast enough the CPU gets more works and becomes the bottleneck?

Thanks again,
Anthony

Last edited:

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Now it is time to post in General Hardware.they will find the best for you.sure we can help you.stop by anytime.

^^^^That.

But... I would upgrade to an SSD first and then see how your CPU handles it.

Personally, if I was going to upgrade, I'd just go to the i5 and be done, but it depends on what you expect out of it during gameplay.

Dec 6, 2008
Thanks for the replies guys. I've decided not to reduce all of my devices to one. I don't want to sacrifice power, portability and my 24" screen. I think I just needed some assurance. I'm planning to get an SSD first, then upgrade the CPU.

Now the question is, do you guys think its worth going from a G3420 to an i3 4160? I just think for multi-tasking or heavier games, the two extra threads should come in handy. Or do I just go for an i5 4570? I have an ASUS H81M-E, which apparently can do some overclocking but I'm not too keen on that so no need for K series. I've logged my CPU usage and it seems like 95% of the usage doesn't even exceed 70% CPU load. Perhaps I shouldn't upgrade? But then I've noticed on my laptop when I've upgraded to an SSD, the CPU load is pushed a lot higher, because now the read/writes are fast enough the CPU gets more works and becomes the bottleneck?

Thanks again,
Anthony

the i3 4160, paired with a good gpu > unmatchable price performance ratio ( and low consumption) i have one paired with just a 750 ti > alien isolation , ryse, advanced warfare etc 1080p full details with +60fps