Illinois State Rep. Goes Berserk in Epic Rant

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

I was going to post this.

Interesting how they are not playing this video here in the state.

This is one of the guys that wanted to split Chicago off into it's own state so he can run the Republican state.

Pretty scary these Republicans are.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
This affects me.

I live downstate, and they want to raise my property taxes to pay for teacher pensions; I don't even have any kids, dammit.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
I was going to post this.

Interesting how they are not playing this video here in the state.

This is one of the guys that wanted to split Chicago off into it's own state so he can run the Republican state.

yes the republicans in the state are the problem right now, not the Democrat Governor

hes right though, dumping bills on people like that at the last minute is BS. they shouldnt be voting on shit like that without time to research the effects of severly alterning their retirement plans(including those already retired)

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011

Bost later said in a radio interview that after his rant some of his Democratic colleagues approached him and told him they had the same complaints, but could not express them.

“When I left the floor,” Bost told ABC News affiliate WLS, “many Democrats from around the state – even Chicago Democrats – came in and said, ‘We want to say this but we can’t.’”
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/05/illinois-state-rep-goes-berserk-in-epic-rant-2/

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
He does have several points. Change is needed at all levels so that neither side of the political spectrum can get away with "last second legislation." It's too bad that legislators have to have mini-breakdowns on the job to call attention to the problems that curse our political discourse and handicap our political processes.

But I'll give him a 9.5/10 for the rant.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
I do feel sorry for the folks downstate. That is not a rich area by any stretch so having their taxes increased to pay for what is essentially Crook Co. and Chicago control of the state (and if not outright control, then massive influence) sucks.

Most people I know in Southern IL (heck, pretty much everyone outside of Chicago/Crook Co. - and even many in it for various reasons) would have absolutely no problem splitting off and becoming their own state.

Too bad it'll never happen... :(

Chuck

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
This affects me.

I live downstate, and they want to raise my property taxes to pay for teacher pensions; I don't even have any kids, dammit.

Do you get any benefit from the children in the country being educated?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
man has a point
Indeed. Fifteen or twenty minutes to read several hundred pages and vote on making it law? It's almost like Democrats don't want people to know that on which they vote.

I guess even at a state level you have to pass the bill to see what's in it.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
He does have several points. Change is needed at all levels so that neither side of the political spectrum can get away with "last second legislation." It's too bad that legislators have to have mini-breakdowns on the job to call attention to the problems that curse our political discourse and handicap our political processes.

But I'll give him a 9.5/10 for the rant.
This. Ought to be a day per twenty pages/0.1% budget minimum, and the full text of the bill should be posted on public-accessible sites. And none of this bullshit where you put out a bill, then right before the vote replace it in its entirety with another bill. Senators love that.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
There's really no reason to not treat these bills as requirements documents that thousands of IT departments somehow manage to handle daily.

1. Craft the bill.
2. Send draft for review.
3. Changes are made and tracked.
4. Updated bill is sent out with each revision.
5. Once bill has hit a high confidence, it is sent out for signoff.
6. Signoff (voting) happens.
7. Bill is now considered baselined and no changes are made to it unless CR'd in, or another bill (going through the same process) amends it. The CR process is much like 1 - 7.

Why this is so hard for the political machine to accomplish I will never understand. Ever.

Chuck