Illegal to use other people's dumpsters?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bootymac, Feb 22, 2006.

1. bootymac

bootymac Diamond Member

Recently, a friend and I drove into the USA to pick up a package. My friend dumped the cardboard packaging at a restaurant's dumpster in their parking lot. Next thing I know, he tells me that the owner of a restaurant left a voicemail on his cell phone (He must've traced the packaging back to the receiver, where he got my friend's cell phone number.):

So... All I want to know is that if we'll be in any problems. We both reside in Canada; what effect will that have? We usually get car parts shipped to this small town, since it's cheaper for us to bring the items up ourselves. I have a feeling we're not visiting for a while :eek:

Edit: My other friend said it's illegal to use other people's dumpsters.

2. JDrake

JDrake Banned

I've used others' dumpsters before..

3. KLin

KLin Lifer

it could be a local ordinance.

4. Brainonska511

What a dumpster nazi. I wouldn't go through the crap in my dumpster (if I had one) to see who had been putting stuff in it.

5. BigJ

BigJ Lifer

Don't worry about it. You're out of the country.

But yes, it is illegal to use private dumpsters. Most restaurants or companies pay for these dumpsters, and by dumping your waste in them you take up precious space.

6. So

So Lifer

Uh...how much trash did you toss? I mean come on, w(hy)th would he care?

7. Looney

Looney Lifer

You can't use other's dumpsters. Even in Canada, that's the law.

8. Gibson486

Gibson486 Lifer

It is illegal....

9. waggy

waggy No Lifer

maybe because he is paying for it?

10. bootymac

bootymac Diamond Member

Hmm... The box was no more than 2' wide, 3' long, and 1' high, but we flattened it all out before we threw it away.

11. Whoozyerdaddy

It's pretty simple really... The restaurant pays a fee for the dumpster and pays another fee to have it dumped. Depending on their service agreement they have a regular pick up or they have it picked up when full. Either way, you don't pay anything toward those fees. It might seem like a miniscule amount of trash that you put in but in essence you are stealing from them.

12. illusion88

illusion88 Lifer

I'm fairly sure that in the US you can't be dumping your garbage or recycling into someone elses dumpsters.

13. So

So Lifer

Come on, if it's an empty box that has been flattened out, what was the cost to him? $1 tops?

I mean, surely the owners time is worth more than he'll reasonably recoup hounding this guy.

14. JDrake

JDrake Banned

rofl @ 'dumpster nazi'

15. LordSnailz

LordSnailz Diamond Member

just call the guy up and apologize and tell him it won't happen again ... hopefully he just wanted you to call to warn you

16. BigJ

BigJ Lifer

And how on Earth does the owner know that the OP doesn't do this daily?

He's got to follow up on things.

17. Demo24

Demo24 Diamond Member

its illegal, but i do it anyway. Next time be more careful and take off evidence pointing to you!

18. Whoozyerdaddy

From the owner's perspective the OP may just be the ONE out of who knows how many dumpers that he actually caught. So the OP gets all the wrath projected on everyone who used his dumpster.

In situations like this it's not about the money... it's the principle of the thing.

19. So

So Lifer

Well, assuming that the OP doesn't actually do this daily, and I hadn't seen his name before, then I'd assume that it was one box and move on. Now, if he has a problem with people doing this, and he's trying to track down the repeat offender, then fine -- and we'll assume that the owner will say 'oh, one box? Well, please don't do it again, I have to pay for that.'

20. mugs

mugs Lifer

The funny thing is, if restaurant had a trash can you could have put it in there and not had a problem. :)

I really don't think the restaurant owner is going to make a big deal out of it. If you were a chronic dumper, I'm sure he would.

21. Adica

Adica Golden Member

Well it is illegal, and it's a ongoing problem. Even though it was just a small box, he probably was upset because of the principal. It's stealing (space that he paid for, for his trash, not yours!) Just apologize to the man and relax. (you must be nervous if you made a thread about it)

22. bootymac

bootymac Diamond Member

Haha, yeah. I was just wondering why he would get all worked up over it, but it makes sense. Some people just have more spare time than others I guess. The ironic thing is that we were thinking of just leaving the trash somewhere, but decided to be 'good' :eek:

I doubt officials will come into Canada trying to arrest my friend though :D

23. D1gger

D1gger Diamond Member

The cost to the restaurant owner could be a lot more than you think. Here, if you put trash into a dumpster that should have gone into recycling, you can be charged double the dumping fee on the entire contents of the dumpster. It is not likely, but it could amount to a couple hundred dollars.

24. Phlargo

Phlargo Senior member

if only I could choose a new nickname.. DumpsterNazi FTW!

25. Brainonska511

Just PM the mods for that one and at least give me some credit if you do lol.