Illegal for stores to close early

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Vic
Chartered banks aren't allowed to be closed more than 3 days in a row (which means they have to be open on the Friday after Thanksgiving), but that's the only law I know of that says a business has to be open.
That's interesting, I had never heard that.

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
What is this world coming to that people think our government micro regulates everything? Restaurants are not required to give water away for free! Oh, wrong thread. What next? Someone going to ask if it's illegal if a store does not open exactly on time, not one second early, nor late?

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Originally posted by: kranky
Originally posted by: Vic
Chartered banks aren't allowed to be closed more than 3 days in a row (which means they have to be open on the Friday after Thanksgiving), but that's the only law I know of that says a business has to be open.
That's interesting, I had never heard that.
The Fed does that because the savings rate and the days they are open control the supply of money. Bank Holidays are regulated. That is also why Saturday banking may let you do things, but some posts will not happen until Monday (or Tuesday if Mon is a holiday).

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
There is no law that says your store has to ever open. Thats not a very profitable business model though so most stores do choose to open.

ASK THE COMMUNITY