I'll try anything with a detached air of superiority

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Last year, I decided to dive headfirst into the realm of the unwashed masses by attending a professional football game. What better way to experience the hive mind than by communing with 70,000 drunken, frostbitten Americans who are only too happy to blow their meager wages cheering on their date-raping, steroid-enhanced gridiron heroes?

hehe

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
I used to go to rummage sales for the sociological thrill of seeing commoners eagerly scrounge through their fellow commoners' crude, mass-produced possessions. You'd see all sorts of amusing parts and parcels from people's tiny lives

I like this quote...amusing, snobby and cerebral all at the same time. He writes well.

lilFajita

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2002
I love this line, though it sounds like too many people I know...:)

. You've tasted the sickly sweet nectar that life has to offer and said, "I am above this. I am better than this. This is beneath me, but I will still do it because I'm open-minded enough to try anything and look down my nose at it at least once."

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
I THOUGHT I saw this article posted here earlier. WOW! This thing epitomizes one of my former co-workers to a T, except it was a she not a he. Same type of liberal arts college (she went to Bryn Mawr), same type of degree (hers was French Literature or something along those lines), same type of interests/experiences (NPR junkie, lived in several different countries) and same attitude (I'm better than you, but I'll pretend I'm enjoying myself while making it clear I'm above all this.) It's downright freaky. In fact, one of my coworkers found it before I had a chance to send it around and everybody in the office was laughing their head off. Needless to say, one of the major reasons she doesn't work here anymore is that this attitude was very annoying to people around her. What was fun though is that while she was very intelligent and prided herself on her education, she was working with a bunch of computer geeks who were equally intelligent (if not more so) but in our lowly, public-educated 'commoner' way. So it was always enjoyable to bring her down a peg whenever possible.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I'd like to see that article wrote about a NASCAR event.