IL to require ID to buy vinegar and drano

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I think the reasonable people here, we still have those don't we , know this law is about as stupid as it gets. This is more law making by politicians to get their names in headlines and a pat on the back from the nanny , think of the children, crowd. More politicians trying to fix a symptom not the problem. The problem being why people would consider doing that to someone else in the first place and why they think that it is an acceptable way of dealing with the issue. Maybe spend more on mental health where it treats the problem.

Doing a quick google search it seems the most often used item to throw on people to cause damage is gasoline.

Macamus Prime

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2011
I know you all hate the government. But, how about you smack the asshole who caused this concern in the 1st place? Just like how you should smack the American drug addict who is drawing in all this Mexican cartel violence. America's massive drug habit is the root cause of drug cartels fighting who will control the flow of junk into the states.

You can't scream and yell that the government should do something about drugs by going after JUST the sellers. You go after the buyers as well. The buyers are the cause.

So, steps like this deter people from doing something bad with something as harmless as say,.. oh, I don't know,... like,... fertilizer! We all know buying massive quantities of shit won't ever amount to anything bad!!

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
I know you all hate the government. But, how about you smack the asshole who caused this concern in the 1st place? Just like how you should smack the American drug addict who is drawing in all this Mexican cartel violence. America's massive drug habit is the root cause of drug cartels fighting who will control the flow of junk into the states.

You can't scream and yell that the government should do something about drugs by going after JUST the sellers. You go after the buyers as well. The buyers are the cause.

So, steps like this deter people from doing something bad with something as harmless as say,.. oh, I don't know,... like,... fertilizer! We all know buying massive quantities of shit won't ever amount to anything bad!!
As I already pointed out, I'm pretty confident that it's already illegal in Illinois to assault someone with caustic chemicals to intentionally harm them. This is a blatant, nanny-state overreaction by legislators with a compulsion to do something -- anything -- regardless of whether it's necessary or sensible.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
The people in that state are so stupid. Our country's collective IQ will rise 3 points when "Iran" drops a nuke on chicago.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2049456

So.. on February 9th, 2010.. they were testing a POS system, for a law, that wasn't even a proposed bill?

HB 2193 wasn't even introduced until 2/18/2011, when it was filed with the Clerk by Rep. Susana A. Mendoza... and didn't even pass until 5/31/2011.

Here's the timeline for the bill:
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bil...D=54594&SessionID=84&SpecSess=&Session=&GA=97

Try again fail boy.

the point is he WAS STILL CARDED FOR THOSE ITEMS and was in IL when it happened.

somebody knew this was coming and was getting the POS systems ready.