iHate the proliferation of the iPod culture

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
55,328
8,147
126
Originally posted by: Mo0o
do you use rockbox? is that significantly better than apple's original firmware?
I do. I haven't so much as touched the stock firmware, the first thing I did was switch, because I want to use the player my way :p
No Itunes, no syncing, just drag and drop :)
 

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
18,536
5
0
Meh, I got my ipod 3+ years ago now and it works damn well at playing MP3's and audio books, which is exactly what I wanted.

At the time, it wasn't much difference in price between that and the competition but the competition didn't play Audible audio books at that time anyways.
 

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
17,461
81
86
Originally posted by: glutenberg
Do you also hate the proliferation of e-commerce and e-mail all the while people selling things on ebay and using e-trade?
iThink we're talking about apples and oranges here. Pardon the pun.
 

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
24,442
5
81
Originally posted by: Mo0o
Wrong, the ipod is the best deal for mp3 players out there, atl east for me. It had the best combo of
1. Form
2. Functionality
3. Accessories
4. Price

Other mp3 players may have some of these, but the ipod has the best combination of all of them.
Wow, you mean you got a better deal on your ipod than my $8 MP3 player with an FM tuner and SD slot? Amazing! (/edit: oh yeah, and it takes a rechargeable AAA.;))

Form = no argument, but IMHO if "form" is the primary factor that influences your purchasing, you need to turn in your man card now.

Functionality = They all play MP3s fine. The ipod doesn't have an FM tuner, or expandability. If the controls on any modern MP3 player are too confusing for you, you should move back to 1925.

Accessories = what? A colored case to match your purse? I can't think of any accessory worth having that's unique to the ipod. Good earbuds (which Apple does not provide) and an elastic band if you want to run with it (which many brands provide) are the extent of it.

Price = Much more expensive. I hope you got some Monster cables with that.
 

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
11,631
11
76
God, what a bunch of whining. We had to put up with e-everything for a while. At least we are on to a different vowel now. I can all but guarantee the next one is u. We already have you-tube. It's just a matter of a great u- something product coming out at this point.
 

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
41,599
18
81
It's even gone international. iRaq, and iRan are quite popular now, too.
 

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
24,227
2
76
Originally posted by: jagec
Originally posted by: Mo0o
Wrong, the ipod is the best deal for mp3 players out there, atl east for me. It had the best combo of
1. Form
2. Functionality
3. Accessories
4. Price

Other mp3 players may have some of these, but the ipod has the best combination of all of them.
Wow, you mean you got a better deal on your ipod than my $8 MP3 player with an FM tuner and SD slot? Amazing! (/edit: oh yeah, and it takes a rechargeable AAA.;))

Form = no argument, but IMHO if "form" is the primary factor that influences your purchasing, you need to turn in your man card now.

Functionality = They all play MP3s fine. The ipod doesn't have an FM tuner, or expandability. If the controls on any modern MP3 player are too confusing for you, you should move back to 1925.

Accessories = what? A colored case to match your purse? I can't think of any accessory worth having that's unique to the ipod. Good earbuds (which Apple does not provide) and an elastic band if you want to run with it (which many brands provide) are the extent of it.

Price = Much more expensive. I hope you got some Monster cables with that.
Form- why? Because I dont want a brick as a mp3 player? Since I keep my mp3 player in my pocket alot, having it be as thin as possible is a most
Functionality- The scrollwheel interface is the most convenient one i've used, i've tried a bunch too. I dont like having 4 different rockers + buttons and swtiches when 1 scroll wheel does all of that seamlessly.
Accessories- docks, stereo system syncs, cases, skins, FM transmitters, ipods simply have a way higher selection than any other mp3 player. Everyone has differenet tastes and different uses for mp3 players, so the accessories they need are obviously differnet, i dont udnerstand why that automatically means i'm gay or any less of a man than you.
Price- Not much more expensive than an mp3 player of the same range

Since when did having cheaper things mean you're more of man?
 

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
24,442
5
81
Originally posted by: Mo0o
Since when did having cheaper things mean you're more of man?
Pretty much since we dropped out of the trees. If you're able to make your own, fix someone else's, or find a really good deal on something that gets the job done well and spend the rest on beer, you get manpoints++

I don't mean to come off as too anti-ipod, since I don't think it's that bad, but you're speaking about it as if it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. And everyone knows that real men slice their own bread.:p
 

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
24,227
2
76
Originally posted by: jagec
Originally posted by: Mo0o
Since when did having cheaper things mean you're more of man?
Pretty much since we dropped out of the trees. If you're able to make your own, fix someone else's, or find a really good deal on something that gets the job done well and spend the rest on beer, you get manpoints++

I don't mean to come off as too anti-ipod, since I don't think it's that bad, but you're speaking about it as if it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. And everyone knows that real men slice their own bread.:p
i would like to counter that with, real men let women do the slicing so they have more time for beer drinking :p
 

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
24,442
5
81
Originally posted by: Mo0o
Originally posted by: jagec
Originally posted by: Mo0o
Since when did having cheaper things mean you're more of man?
Pretty much since we dropped out of the trees. If you're able to make your own, fix someone else's, or find a really good deal on something that gets the job done well and spend the rest on beer, you get manpoints++

I don't mean to come off as too anti-ipod, since I don't think it's that bad, but you're speaking about it as if it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. And everyone knows that real men slice their own bread.:p
i would like to counter that with, real men let women do the slicing so they have more time for beer drinking :p
That is true, that is true....
 

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
28,561
4
0
That's it. Just wanted to say that people with their iPhones, iPods and iMacs are annoying.
I wish they would go away to their own iCountry.
 

MyThirdEye

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
3,614
0
76
Originally posted by: techs
That's it. Just wanted to say that people with their iPhones, iPods and iMacs are annoying.
I wish they would go away to their own iCountry.
agree. I think that the huge fascination with iPods is way overrated to be honest.
 

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
21,568
3
0
Why? Aside from the OMG APPLE IS TEH ONE!1111111 fanboyz (whom I secretly want to punch in the back of the head), most people just use it the same way I use my Creative Zen. It's just an mp3 player, and it works for them.

Besides, the iPod IS a quality player. It's overhyped, overpriced and not the best out there, but it's a quality product. Same story with most of Apple's products.
 

Sumguy

Golden Member
Jun 2, 2007
1,409
0
0
I have a teacher that shows us all the new Apple things (products, commercials...etc.) at the end of class. To him Apple is the best thing ever to grace the consumer market, but he is a DJ on the side so I guess he probably has a reason for the fanboyishness...maybe.

Most people I know with Apple things dont flaunt them though, usually its other people that ask to see it.
 

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
9,739
0
0
Originally posted by: techs
That's it. Just wanted to say that people with their iPhones, iPods and iMacs are annoying.
I wish they would go away to their own iCountry.
this is our iCountry, you go somewhere else. thanks.
 

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
12,601
6
76
Originally posted by: techs
That's it. Just wanted to say that people with their iPhones, iPods and iMacs are annoying.
I wish they would go away to their own iCountry.
What a good idea! Think ill send a mail to steve jobs on that right away, can you imagine it? Everyone using macs, ipods and iphones, so what if we are not compatible with the rest of the world, they can sod off! :p
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY