Question [IgorsLab] Just when you thought GPU prices were headed downward...

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Just when I thought things were (slowly) returning to a sort-of post-pandemic-style "normal" as far as at least GPU availability, and slowly, prices, now THIS! Very disappointing, if GPU pricing shoots back up to 3X MSRP (does MSRP even mean anything anymore? LOL..).

Edit: To be sure, this most recent issue, is with production / distribution, and has nothing (directly) to do with mining.

Last edited:

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
From the article.

"As a conclusion, NVIDIA must succeed in significantly increasing the delivery quantities within the next 1-2 weeks, which in turn depends on Samsung alone, in order not to risk a renewed price increase."

I'll be generous and assume the translation is very poor. If not, what in the world does this mean. A 1-2 deadline for increased supplies and Samsung is the one responsible. Crazy.

Reactions: Tlh97 and scineram

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Could be. The demand is huge, the virus is still raging... I don't see an end to this any time soon.

Thousands of Used GPUs Are Flooding China's Second-Hand Market | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

Now, I wouldn't mind getting a 3060 for a price like that, with or without warranty.

- Given that the cards are being sold in batches of 200-300 just means Chinese miners are selling to non-chinese miners.

I'd grab a 3070 @ $400 bucks in a heartbeat even if it was used for mining, but I'm not buying 200 of them for $400 a pop...

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
From the article.

"As a conclusion, NVIDIA must succeed in significantly increasing the delivery quantities within the next 1-2 weeks, which in turn depends on Samsung alone, in order not to risk a renewed price increase."

I'll be generous and assume the translation is very poor. If not, what in the world does this mean. A 1-2 deadline for increased supplies and Samsung is the one responsible. Crazy.
Not necessarily as I have listened to Igor in German and he just love to ramble.
As to what it means? Well, I guess the OEMs are expecting deliveries and if they don't get them in the next 1-2 weeks there will be renewed shortages.
As for putting all the blame on Samsung?
Well, that is both fair and unfair, and there must a few factors:
  1. Nvidia choose to pay less by going to Samsung.
  2. Samsung probably promised them good yields.
  3. Ampere dies aren't some small phone SOC.
anyway, while the OEMs might not know at this stage Samsung (and presumably Nvidia) must know what is being delivered in a few weeks time as those parts should be binned and packaged already.

BillClo1

Jan 13, 2021
Have you tried Warhammer?

I am familiar with it, though I don't find those sort of games enjoyable. I am also familiar with the business model; make armies obsolete every few years so you have to replace them to play competitively, etc. I think I see the point you are trying to make though.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
make armies obsolete every few years so you have to replace them to play competitively,

nah... thats more in line with MtG... Magic the Gathering.... you need to constantly flip a new deck or you'll be hung to dry.

As for the price increase.... they will continue to milk it until they have milked the miners dry.
Then when the miners can no longer support the price pedestal, it will reset again from the pure lack of sales.
But i do not expect that pedestal to be made that fragile, meaning were trenched in here good gents, at least for a while longer as i see it.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
But i do not expect that pedestal to be made that fragile, meaning were trenched in here good gents, at least for a while longer as i see it.

Agree. It took several years, I think around 4, after thailand flood just to get back to previous hdd prices. There I was lucky to have bought just before it.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I don't think I'll ever go back to a regular PC monitor, at least for games. You may have to redesign your room and desktop setup around it though. The larger ones need to be wall mounted or put on a mobile stand.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
Indeed. I got an LG CX OLED last year and it's flat out amazing. I was replacing a plasma so I was already used to having pretty good blacks, but frankly the OLED is just jaw-dropping beautiful.

I've been pining for a CX for quite awhile but always worried about burn-in. Any issues for you?

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I've been pining for a CX for quite awhile but always worried about burn-in. Any issues for you?

I was a little worried as well initially, but I was coming from a plasma and found that running the built-in anti-burn-in functionality was more than good enough even after a fairly steady gaming session, so I wasn't too concerned.

From all the reviews I'd read where people had done more extensive testing over time it really didn't seem like an issue unless it's being subject to some serious abuse cases. Really the OLED probably does better since it's completely off for blacks which isn't quite true for plasma and it could get a small noticeable amount (never persisted though) after watching a long movie with letterboxing or something like that.

I haven't used it as a display so maybe that changes things slightly, but I think most operating systems have plenty of options these days to help out with preventing burn-in.

Reactions: Elfear

reb0rn

Dec 31, 2009
Why anyone here TRUST corporations????
miners are not buying cards anymore, almost no one wall pay 2-3x over MSRP!!! they lie to make demand... and at same time keep high prices!

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
If no one is buying at 3x MSRP, there's suddenly a lot of incentive to sell at 2.9x MSRP because unsold cards don't generate any revenue. This process continues, even falling below 1x MSRP, when companies eventually have to offer discounts just to move cards towards the end of a generation.

If it were possible to keep prices artificially high like this you really ought to ask yourself why wouldn't they have done so years ago?