!!!Ignore Thread!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

snow patrol

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2000
Interesting, when this was posted a few days ago, everyone was laughing their asses off about it. And now everyone's saying the guy deserves to burn.

hmm.

Champo41

May 11, 2000
Even though it was posted a few days ago, it's still hilarious.

Look at the original bid, $9.99. For all we know, the seller probably just wanted to get rid of the box. If he was doing it on purpose, then he would've set the original price to something like $200 or so.

It's not his fault that all the idiots kept bidding on it.

mosdef

Banned
May 14, 2000
I agree snow, look at how we've changed. I find that much more amusing than this whole PS2 box thing (well not THAT much more asuming hehe).

-mosdef

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
Makes me want to auction off my PS2 box! Wow. It's the buyer's fault for not checking up with the seller, amazed at how stupid people can be.

LordMaul

Lifer
Nov 16, 2000
Idiots. It said "auction for Ps2 BOX AND RECEIPT" Not "Auction for PS2 WITH original BOX AND RECEIPT."

GammaRayX

Oct 11, 1999
Actually, I saw this earlier on another forum.

But I question the integrity of the seller. Here's another of his auction, indirectly promoting piracy of the PS1/PS2 games.

Besides, I think the seller is intentionally misleading while trying to protect himself legally also. I mean first is the wording, then the second is the inclusion of the original recept to given the impression of actually selling the PS2. For people who's english is limited (eg George Bush;)) or those to didn't check carefully, will think its the PS2 that he's selling.

prodigy

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"Interesting, when this was posted a few days ago, everyone was laughing their asses off about it. And now everyone's saying the guy deserves to burn."

Looks to me that this was probably posted in Hot Deals or some other Forum originally then moved here. I say this because most of the earlier people who responded don't look like the usual OT'ers I see around here.

Conradical

Dec 28, 2000
i agree the buyer should have paid more attention to the description and ask questions with email if needed. however... doesnt change the fact the loser with no conscience took some poor kids $400 bucks and is laughing about it. i dont want to give anyone any ideas... but i copied the sellers aol email address down and i am going to let him know what i think about his deceptive ploy.

Pyro

Banned
Sep 2, 2000
haahaha........

i cant believe someone would dumb enough to buy the box for 400 bux!

Hats off to that guy who sold he. He really knows how to scam ppl...

Electricice

Jan 25, 2001
i have to agree with pyro i think it really funny that people are dumb enough to fall for a scam like this . noehre in the auction does it even say the playsatation is even included.

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
Easiest $400 I've ever made! And it came right in time for me to buy a pardon for my ma and pa from Clinton! Woohoooo!

Capn

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000
The guy was obviously misleading, no way he was just selling off his box. The buyer learned an unfortunate lesson and should take steps to get his money back. Someone selling a box writes "Original Playstation 2 box" someone trying to scam someone writes "Playstation 2 original box" I don't even think "playstation 2 original box" would be considered correct word order. Least the buyer should do is take a small field trip with some buddies to that bastard's house.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
I do think its kind of funny, although including a receipt makes it even more clearly a scam. I wouldnt awnt to be that guy when someone comes to break my legs for taking their $400 though.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Actually, those of you who are calling the bidders idiots are more idiotic themselves.

If we were arguing the semantics behind all advertisements, everyone would perceivably be deceitful. The fact is, this guy said, "with receipt." Why in the hell would he put that if he didn't want to purposely be deceitful? Why would someone out to purchase a PS2 box want the damn receipt?

Point is, yes, the bidder was probably a little too liberal in his/her bidding, but the auctioner was purposely misleading the bidders by leaving out punctuation that changes the semantics enough to cause question, but then follows up with "and receipt" to essentially remove the doubt out of most peoples' minds.

I wouldn't have fallen for it, but still... don't be a hypocrite and call everyone an idiot :)

[edit]Doh! Soybomb made my point before I posted...[/edit]

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999
too bad the FTC funds companies like e-bay.com. If e-bay.com had to deal with these things themselves, they'd go out of business tomorrow. I think anyone who sends someone some money hoping the auction seller will send the product when the seller has practically no legal imperative to do so is a fool.

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
This is the reason why I only bid on something from someone who has several hundred feedbacks. Even then I check to see how many negatives the person has....

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999
dedphul,

that's one good soln. My soln. to just buy within driving distance so I can examine the product in detail

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
to just buy within driving distance so I can examine the product in detail

That's not necessary. I don't think I have ever bid/seen anything I wanted from a seller close to where I live. Just check references. That is the best way...

MissingLinc

Dec 30, 2000
That @$$hole knew what he was doing and was hoping to deceive someone. Sure, the wording will protect him, but his response is still lame.