Ignorance exceeds progress in Iraq!

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
So much for the hearts and minds campaign
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - U.S. soldiers fired above the heads of thousands of Iraqi government workers protesting on Tuesday after hearing that the Americans had detained a woman for refusing to be searched using a sniffer dog.

"I have been coming here for 27 years and now they (Americans) are searching us with dogs. We are Muslims," Saadiya Ahmad, an oil ministry engineer said.

Dogs are considered unclean in Islamic culture.
Oops . . .

Zainab Assim, an oil ministry employee, said she had tried to intervene when her colleague refused the search.
"I told them (the Americans) to stop it and a woman soldier slapped me across the face," she said. "Every day the dogs put their noses inside our bags and slobber over our belongings."
Can you feel the love?

Some employees eventually began filing into the ministries, passing through metal detectors, but there was no doubt about the anti-American mood.
"We don't just want the dogs to leave. We want the dogs who are holding the dogs to leave, every last one of them," said one employee, Nazir Mohammed.

Now for the FOXNews version . . . I guess quotes were hard to come by.
rolleye.gif

Pushing and punching followed between soldiers and Iraqis, Americans struck out with rifle butts, and soon about 100 Iraqis had gathered in angry protest outside the huge, modern building on Baghdad's northern edge, leading the Americans to fire shots in the air, the witnesses said.

Hmm, I wonder why the discrepancy between the two reports. The initial incident likely happened as people were initially coming to work . . . but the protest that required rifle fire to disperse . . . was only about 100 people?

JackStorm

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2003
<sarcams>Well, they're ONLY dogs, why should the US Soldiers have to respect their belives?</sarcams>

Anyway...we all know, that no matter what happens, Iraq will never become this shining beacon of democracy that the administration is deluding themselves into thinking will happen. It might become something SIMILAR to it. But considering the histroy of that region and of that country. It'll never become this "We love the americans for liberating us" kinda place. At best, you'll get some kinda council of people representing the majority of Iraqis. At worce, it'll turn back into a dictatorship or turn into some kinda islamic extremist country ruled by wakos similar to the taliban.

In short, whoever desides (just happend to be the US in this case) to try and "fix the country" or "liberate it" or "change it". Is in for one major headache. In a way I feel sorry for Bush. He has no idea what kinda problems he'll continue to get if he continues to meddle around in it's internal affairs.

But hey, if Bush has the conviction to stick with this, and continues to try to change it. All I can say is "Good luck Mr.Bush. You'll need it"

Ldir

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2003
Disgraceful. Next time we liberate
rolleye.gif
a country we might want to become more sensitive to its culture and customs. I do not blame our troops. Soldiers are trained with different priorities than policemen.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
"The dogs put their noses in our bags and slobber all over our belongings." This woman is lucky the dog isn't a crotch sniffer, and many are. There'd be a riot.

roboninja

Dec 7, 2000
Originally posted by: Ldir
Disgraceful. Next time we liberate
rolleye.gif
a country we might want to become more sensitive to its culture and customs. I do not blame our troops. Soldiers are trained with different priorities than policemen.

Agreed. There is way too much being done in the "Western" way, and the ruling US government just expects the people there to accept it. Unbelievable.