Ignorance and Racism Leads to 3 Deaths

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I realize it makes absolutely zero difference to anyone but you at this point. He straw-manned the original post and you broadened the original post in order to make it seem slightly less stupid. Nobody cares.

Well, and you apparently if you are still commenting.

Also, it was not a straw man. To completely misrepresent what was said is not a straw man. A straw man would be to set up a flawed argument as if represents an argument. In this case, the person did not misrepresent, but completely changed what was said so as to make it mutually exclusive to what was said.

Also, I don't think what he said in that one part all that stupid. The media does pick and choose what type of things to report when it comes to race. It very often is to the benefit of whites.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
If its mental illness, then so is playing video games if my previous supposition is correct. If you are doing it to test you ability and compete, then all sport is mental illness.

Yes. That's absolutely what you can extrapolate from my post. Totally.

I wasn't being absurdist at all. Not in the tiniest amount. Ever.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Well, and you apparently if you are still commenting.

Also, it was not a straw man. To completely misrepresent what was said is not a straw man. A straw man would be to set up a flawed argument as if represents an argument. In this case, the person did not misrepresent, but completely changed what was said so as to make it mutually exclusive to what was said.

Also, I don't think what he said in that one part all that stupid. The media does pick and choose what type of things to report when it comes to race. It very often is to the benefit of whites.

The textbook definition of straw man is to misrepresent someone's argument into something that is more easily defeated, yet here you are claiming that misrepresenting what was said isn't a straw man. There are no limits on how to straw man something. You can most certainly change one thing into something that is mutually exclusive.

This change would make edo's statement more easily defeated because if you find one white guy who shot anyone outside of a school, the straw man is knocked down but his actual statement "most" still stands. This was unnecessary because we all know most shootings by white males are certainly outside of schools, even when qualified as he originally did as "things we hear about." It's absurd.

On top of that, the two versions are not mutually exclusive. Edo said most and sound essentially changed most to all. If white guys only shoot schools then all white shooters shoot schools. All is a superset of most.

Last edited:

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
The textbook definition of straw man is to misrepresent someone's argument into something that is more easily defeated, yet here you are claiming that misrepresenting what was said isn't a straw man. There are no limits on how to straw man something. You can most certainly change one thing into something that is mutually exclusive.

This change would make edo's statement more easily defeated because if you find one white guy who shot anyone outside of a school, the straw man is knocked down but his actual statement "most" still stands. This was unnecessary because we all know most shootings by white males are certainly outside of schools, even when qualified as he originally did as "things we hear about." It's absurd.

On top of that, the two versions are not mutually exclusive. Edo said most and sound essentially changed most to all. If white guys only shoot schools then all white shooters shoot schools. All is a superset of most.

So, you honestly believe he thinks that when white people do mass shootings, its in schools?

You don't think that he meant that you mainly only hear about white mass shootings when its a school shooting? You really think his comment was to say they mainly shoot up schools?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
So, you honestly believe he thinks that when white people do mass shootings, its in schools?

You don't think that he meant that you mainly only hear about white mass shootings when its a school shooting? You really think his comment was to say they mainly shoot up schools?

No. I think he wrote something stupid. I am not going to start another round of "trying to presume what the guy was thinking" with you. If he wants to clarify he is welcome to do so. I don't care what he thinks. If he doesn't think what he wrote, then he shouldn't have wrote it, especially not while telling others to use common sense.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
No. I think he wrote something stupid. I am not going to start another round of "trying to presume what the guy was thinking" with you. If he wants to clarify he is welcome to do so. I don't care what he thinks. If he doesn't think what he wrote, then he shouldn't have wrote it, especially not while telling others to use common sense.

Man, you love to try and pick apart people you think are on an opposing side of you.

In this thread, you made a bunch of presumption mistakes. Its almost like people are imperfect and make mistakes. I have seen time and time again where you make a presumption and then just run with it even though you make tons of mistakes, everyone else should be taken 100% literal.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Man, you love to try and pick apart people you think are on an opposing side of you.

In this thread, you made a bunch of presumption mistakes. Its almost like people are imperfect and make mistakes. I have seen time and time again where you make a presumption and then just run with it even though you make tons of mistakes, everyone else should be taken 100% literal.

When I make a mistake, I apologize and correct my mistake. Something I have yet to ever see you do. Want to fix up your bastardization of the meaning of straw man while we're on the subject? Or at least acknowledge how badly you fucked that up? Or do you want to twist yourself in knots trying to justify it as usual?

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
When I make a mistake, I apologize and correct my mistake. Something I have yet to ever see you do. Want to fix up your bastardization of the meaning of straw man while we're on the subject? Or at least acknowledge how badly you fucked that up? Or do you want to twist yourself in knots trying to justify it as usual?

Even if you have never seen me admit I was wrong, that would be a stupid metric to judge me on. Unless you have been following me around on the forums, it would be meaning less. I can give you examples of when I was wrong and admitted it, but I dont see how that matters
*wrong about gun deaths demographics when talking to eskimospy.

As for my bastardization, nope, not wrong.

Straw man is as follows.
A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not advanced by that opponent.[1]

He did not make an argument and refute it. He just misrepresented his comment. That is not a straw man argument.

Here is the structure.
Person 1 asserts proposition X.
Person 2 argues against a superficially similar proposition Y, falsely, as if an argument against Y were an argument against X.

None of that happened here.

So, even if I were wrong about this, what else do you think I was wrong about?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Its just a social definition of what terrorism is. Its not a racist thing. Most blacks shot are shot doing some kind of criminal action

Your Mexican rapist stuff is just quoting Donald Trump because no one actually says that

And most times you hear about a white person....THEY ARE MENTALLY F-ED up becaues they are shooting up schools

Terrorism generally has to deal with using an idea to inflict fear.

Good lord, I know this site is liberal but can we use common sense?

You left out one social definition. When a black man gets loud and assertive is it labeled criminal. Just ask Richard Sherman

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
You left out one social definition. When a black man gets loud and assertive is it labeled criminal. Just ask Richard Sherman

I'm a 49'ers fan, and it hurt, but big fucking kudos to Sherman. He is a hell of a player. Dude is educated as well. He does charity work as well. He seems to be an example of a great person.

I think a lot of the reaction to him was because he was black and did not have the look of a "respectful" black man. Bullshit.

Who called him a criminal though? I saw lots of shit flung his way, but not criminal.

Nov 25, 2013
I'm a 49'ers fan, and it hurt, but big fucking kudos to Sherman. He is a hell of a player. Dude is educated as well. He does charity work as well. He seems to be an example of a great person.

I think a lot of the reaction to him was because he was black and did not have the look of a "respectful" black man. Bullshit.

Who called him a criminal though? I saw lots of shit flung his way, but not criminal.

He was labeled a "thug" by a lot of folks. A rose by any other name...

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Sure, it is also used in place of n_____.

I could start saying rainbows in place of ******. Or I could just mean rainbows. It would be impossible to prove they were using thug instead, but I guess it does not matter. Had he not been black, they would have treated him far differently.

I think it sucks, because what I know of the guy, I think the public could throw a lot more support his way. He seems to be a good person doing a lot of good work, and he is fun to watch. He is a defensive player and I enjoy watching him play. Then again, I like loud mouths who talk garbage and can back it up.

Edit*
Also, I think its crap they feel the need to censor the N word. I can see why, when people that Huckleberry Finn is a racist book, but it still annoys me.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Shoot this guys whole fucking family in front of him. Piece of shit.

This bullshit is because Donald Trump, and all Conservatives, are making it socially acceptable for the racists to hate easier in the open.

He'll get off on that bullshit crazy charge. Watch.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Shoot this guys whole fucking family in front of him. Piece of shit.

This bullshit is because Donald Trump, and all Conservatives, are making it socially acceptable for the racists to hate easier in the open.

He'll get off on that bullshit crazy charge. Watch.

And round and round we go.

Death for mental health! Evil fucking Trump, we need to kill all of the people who have mental illness and support Trump!

Here is a guy who you might like too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biadSUyWr0A

Why kill the babies? They are going to grow up one day to rule your babies.

You are something horrible. Trump is horrible because he is racist, so better kill someone and their entire family.

Last edited:

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Edit*
Also, I think its crap they feel the need to censor the N word. I can see why, when people that Huckleberry Finn is a racist book, but it still annoys me.

Do you need use of that word? There are plenty of others available.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Do you need use of that word? There are plenty of others available.

That is the word. I think its dumb that we cant even say a way in reference to the topic. The real world is not harry potter. I have been on this forum for a while and did not know they would censor that word and not others, so obviously I dont use it much, but still sucks that we cant be expected to be mature enough to use it in some contexts.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
That is the word. I think its dumb that we cant even say a way in reference to the topic. The real world is not harry potter. I have been on this forum for a while and did not know they would censor that word and not others, so obviously I dont use it much, but still sucks that we cant be expected to be mature enough to use it in some contexts.

A board for the tech-ish and maturity? You are a dreamer.

You may also prefer the tone of the Discussion Club to what happens in P&N.

Last edited:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Even if you have never seen me admit I was wrong, that would be a stupid metric to judge me on. Unless you have been following me around on the forums, it would be meaning less. I can give you examples of when I was wrong and admitted it, but I dont see how that matters
*wrong about gun deaths demographics when talking to eskimospy.

As for my bastardization, nope, not wrong.

Straw man is as follows.

He did not make an argument and refute it. He just misrepresented his comment. That is not a straw man argument.

Here is the structure.
Person 1 asserts proposition X.
Person 2 argues against a superficially similar proposition Y, falsely, as if an argument against Y were an argument against X.

None of that happened here.

So, even if I were wrong about this, what else do you think I was wrong about?
Keep dancing. He built the straw man but he didn't knock it down. He still built the straw man. Often, the straw man is so obviously flawed that it doesn't have to be explicitly knocked down.

As for what else? You were also wrong about his misrepresentation being mutually exclusive.