Ignition immobilizer (anti-theft) question about keys

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
I'm fairly close to purchasing a truck and I've noticed on most of the ones I've looked at that they all featured a blinking dashboard light saying 'anti-theft.' Seeing as how I drive an older '92 Sentra where theft is an issue only for a truly desperate criminal, I had no clue what it was, but figured an alarm system couldn't have been standard on THAT many trucks (these have all been slightly used trucks by the way.)

When I asked the dealers what they were they said it was an ignition immobilizer and came standard. I only had a faint idea of how that worked, but a little research showed my initial assumptions were correct. But I still have a question on how that relates to keys (primarily in terms of cost.) We test drove one that I'll probably be going BACK to look at again (to probably buy this time), but I'm not so sure they have 2 sets of keys since somebody had misplaced the primary set of keys last time we were there. Do those keys cost a lot to replace? This is on a 2000 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab if that makes any difference.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
my 92 bonneville had the PASSkey system where a resistor pellet was placed in the key and wouldn't start without it.

so a thief would just find the right wires and place a resistor between them to defeat it.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
DCX uses keys imbedded with chips. If you attempt to start a car with a key that does not have the chip, the engine runs for 2 seconds, and then dies.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
The keys are slightly more expensive because the resistor has to match the one that came with your original set of keys. They use your VIN to find out which one you need. You can expect to pay anywhere upwards of $20-40 for the key depending on how much the dealers feel like raping you.

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi
The keys are slightly more expensive because the resistor has to match the one that came with your original set of keys. They use your VIN to find out which one you need. You can expect to pay anywhere upwards of $20-40 for the key depending on how much the dealers feel like raping you.
Thanks. I was just worried a key might suddenly cost me $100 or something. If that was the case I was definitely going to make them deduct it from the price if they only have one.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Usually the only keys that I've seen in the $100+ dollar range are those that have the door/trunk open/unlock/lock functions included. Lexus and Mercedes keys are two examples, both of which cost roughly $300 to replace.

So I'd think around $40 would be right, unless you find a really nice dealer.

Oct 9, 1999
for my fords PATS (Passive Anti Theft System) I need two keys to get a 3rd key otherwise the dealer has to program the new key for me.

The system asks for both original keys and then finally the new key before you can use the new key to start your car.

When my focus's key got stuck they put a new ignition key block and had to reprogram it again.. that's why my keys says "PATS" instead of Ford.. they didnt have any ford marked keys but they had a generic one available so they gave me that one.