IGN: "Breaking down the barriers of PC gaming"

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by cmdrdredd, Nov 28, 2012.

1. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/28/breaking-down-the-barriers-of-pc-gaming

Some of the reasons against PC gaming are ridiculous.

Controllers aren't well supported. -Xbox360 controllers have been supported nativly for years
    Too expensive. - $500 can buy a decent PC able to game at 1080p and just plug it in your TV. Then you can resell your video card to upgrade when it comes time.
    Too complicated. - Pre builts abound and you can even put together your own specs and have it built. There's not much to do except jump on steam same as you would on PSN or XBL and buy the game you want and it will download. Click play when you're done.
    No Achievements. - Steam has them
    No central hub like XboxLive. -Steam has a community larger than XboxLive.

To be fair, the writer Ryan Clements, does a pretty good job of shooting down these reasons given by other IGN staffers.

2. KaOTiK

KaOTiK Lifer

They used achievements as a plus for consoles (and were wrong at that)? hahahahaha

3. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

Yeah, and I can't believe how many people will say "If it doesn't have achievements I won't buy it". As if somehow the game can be good or bad based on that alone. Especially when a lot of them are kind of dumb and reward you for just doing what you're supposed to do in the game "you reached level 2, congrats here's your trophy".

4. 0___________0

0___________0 Senior member

Chances are you already own a computer, get a new PSU and a 650 Ti, doesn't draw much power and should fit in most cases. Gaming rig for $200, as long as the rest of the system isn't horribly dated. The people who say it's over their heads have never tried.

5. ImpulsE69

ImpulsE69 Lifer

There is something wrong when they use Achievements (or lack thereof) as a point/counterpoint

6. exdeath

exdeath Lifer

I hate achievements. They ruined and overwhelmed WoW with too much busy work and some games they seem to be the only purpose as if intentionally distracting you from the fact the game actually sucks. But you do it anyway cuz K/D ratio and g4m3rz sc0re br0!

I also hate achievements because I'm a 100% completionist, and alot of them are retarded. I especially hate with an absolute vengeance online vs mode only achievements and the stupid impossible online ones that you can't get legitimately like "in an online game kill 100 players in a row without dying" or worse "without getting hit". Turns into a boring grind fest trading kills with a friend for an hour in a private game. Or like some of the ones in Street Fighter 4 can bite my ass.

"Finish a ranked tournament match in the top 0.000000001% of players" right how many people will ever get all achievements when there is crap like that? I don't devote my life to a single game. Pissed me off when I just got 60/60 in Resident Evil 5 then it downloaded a patch and added like 30 RETARDED online only achievements. You want to complete with me sign up for Tough Mudder or go to the track. I can't stand what most online competitive gaming has become. People with real careers and who aren't complete neckbeard gynophobias need not apply and will not be able to get those achievements, leaving their game file "incomplete".

WoW was even worse. You attempted to complete all the achievements and they just keep adding more faster than you can keep up. As a completionist I need some finality to it. Then add the exclusive ones like server firsts, limited time for special pets and mounts with a .01% drop rate before it gets removed, etc, and it's just pressure overload like you can never log out without missing something forever. And you're supposed to farm, make money, and raid too?

Achievements: one of the deadly sins that has ruined modern gaming.

#6 exdeath, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  7. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

If achievements and trophies are stopping you from playing just shoot yourself.

8. exdeath

exdeath Lifer

I'll play games that I know I can't ever get all the achievements, but when I'm done I will delete them from my profile so as to not have any "incompleteness" taunting me.

9. irishScott

irishScott Lifer

This. It's like a little kid saying he won't play soccer if he doesn't get a participation trophy. Only more pathetic.

I can understand the appeal of the challenge of good achievements, I've blown many hours on Starcraft 2's. But they don't even factor in to my buying decision.

10. gorcorps

gorcorps aka Brandon

This post highlights a huge problem with you and your psyche, not achievements. If you don't want to do them then don't. If you aren't having fun then stop. There's something wrong with not being able to control yourself when you know you're not enjoying the experience.

Have you looked for professional help?

11. coldmeat

coldmeat Diamond Member

Who goes to IGN anymore? If people stopped reading, they would stop spewing their bullshit.

12. Durvelle27

Durvelle27 Diamond Member

i laughed so hard XD

13. Annisman*

Annisman* Golden Member

I actually hate 'achievments', I feel like I'm being rewarded with a cookie for doing some kind of menial duty. Like a child. I feel like I'm being treated like a child.

14. Ackmed

Ackmed Diamond Member

I detest achievements. I never, ever try and do all the things they make me do, it's just silly. And I don't like the notifications every time I do one just by playing the game. And I don't want a controller on my PC, aside from a few games. Such as some adventure games. Anti-PC people are just ignorant.

15. Sulaco

Sulaco Diamond Member

I LOVE IGN! I can't WAIT for another one of their "Top Whatever" lists, and an article or nine about the best Batman gadgets.

16. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

My friend is like that in PS3 fighting games. He wants to "play seriously", and for him, that is not fun, that's winning tournaments. Of course, he's on a limited income, so he can't even afford to go to tournaments. But he spends all day playing anyways. (Without having fun.)

Yes, he needs professional help.

17. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

I have.

What does that have to do with this thread?

18. Aikouka

Aikouka Lifer

Wait... am I missing something? I read the article and no one talked about achievements.

19. power_hour

power_hour Senior member

It almost seems apologetic. Very odd article.

20. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

read the comments

21. JujuFish

JujuFish Diamond Member

Yeah, I didn't see that either. It's funny how strongly everyone feels about them in this thread, though. Personally, I like achievements as long as their only purpose isn't to try to make a game with little substance longer than it really is.

22. Red Hawk

Red Hawk Platinum Member

Well yeah, those reasons are rather ridiculous, but that's sort of the point. This is not an article pointing out the problems with PC gaming. The point of this article is that the writer asks non-PC players at IGN why they aren't into PC gaming, gets their answers, and then debunks those reasons. It's actually a pretty good, PC-gamer friendly article.

23. Pr0d1gy

Pr0d1gy Diamond Member

I just built a PC for $800 that can play anything without issue and haven't touched my PS3 since. The games are better, the gaming is better, and I trust my build quality a thousand times more than any Xbox or PS3. It's funny that people will pay $400 for an Xbox, $600 for a PS3, but refuse to drop just a minute amount more for a vastly superior system.

24. ImpulsE69

ImpulsE69 Lifer

Well...in the past consoles and PC's had inherently different breeds of games. I used to love gaming on both console and PC for the different experience they gave. Occasionally you'd get a PC game ported over to a console that may or may not be really the same.

Today, they are for the most part..the same (if not exactly the same with all the ports coming from consoles instead). This lessens the need for dedicated consoles, sure you have the obscure title you miss out on, but you have plenty of others to bide your time....look at all the ppl with pages and pages of Steam games they've never touched.

This in itself doesn't make me not want consoles --- but it weighs heavily in my decision of if I want to pay the price they want for everything.

#24 ImpulsE69, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  25. GaiaHunter

GaiaHunter Diamond Member

Achievements help those without imagination.

Who haven't tried killing Mephisto naked, or finishing half-life while using only a pistol?

People with imagination and that play for fun did.

Now they hide some of those achievements amongst really easy ones and "bam" re-playability increased for everyone without imagination.