If you're thinking about an SSD, it MIGHT be worth waiting...

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I just got a 1TB SSD, and thought it was a good deal. Now if you're saying the Samsung 970 evo can be had for $50 or less.....

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
1tb ex920 hovers around 105.. to wait 5 months to save 55 bucks.. not worth most people's time.. i already have 2 1tb nvme and a bunch of other 512gb nvmes. picking up some more 1tb this weekend.... if you need to use it, storage is cheap. by xmas i hope to move on to 2-4tb ssd at the lower price

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Definitely not as bad as that. lol 1 exabyte = 1 million terabytes. $600-900 million at $0.10 per gigabyte.

Yeah, OK...i must have dropped a decimal or sumthin....:p
(Boomer admits to being math stoopid)

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I want a 4tb ssd for 250 dollar range...
I think even then my steam library would still pwn the hell out of it.

Reactions: Igo69

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
I want a 4tb ssd for 250 dollar range...
I think even then my steam library would still pwn the hell out of it.

The price for 4TB SSD right now is around $500 which is good considering my 960GB SSD SanDisk Extreme Pro that I purchased in 2015 for $400 and I assume the price will drop by a hundred by the end of next year if not early.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Hoping 500gb-1tb M.2 ssds drop to some nice lows. I kind of want to put maybe a 1TB M.2 in here but a 500gb would be fine too i guess. Depends on price difference.

thor23

Jul 13, 2019
I think most people have by now purchased their last spinning hard disk ever. Spinning disks will be obselete for basically everyone soon except enterprise needs.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I think most people have by now purchased their last spinning hard disk ever. Spinning disks will be obselete for basically everyone soon except enterprise needs.

Haven't bought a spinner since my 300gb Raptor back in 2009. Every build of mine has had a ssd and usually it doubles in size while getting cheaper at the same time. A 1tb m.2 will be the last hard drive upgrade i will do for maybe the next five years. My current library will fit on the 1tb with room to spare and that is if i put every game i don't even play on here as well. Unless new games get much bigger and warrant their size i can't seem myself needing more then this. I guess if i wait m.2 will get cheaper per gb but who knows with pci-e 4.0 here maybe they will phase out previous generations for the 4.0?

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I just got a couple of 12TB spinners for my NAS. SSD drives can’t touch that kind of capacity, yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: beginner99

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
However most people don’t even know what a SSD is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True one friend is using a 2008 era 80gb and i tried hard to get him on a ssd and he refuses to. Another friend had no idea what a ssd till i put one in her rig but i can tell you she certainly notices a difference as when we use the spare pc in the living room the boot times alone drive her crazy! :D Then again that tower is using a 2007 circa based 300gb WD too.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
I am still using HDDs and planning to buy another 8 or 10 TB HDD for storage and back up. I wouldn't use SSD for that. 1st we don't have such large capacities SSDs and if we had them they would be way too expensive. The 4TB SSD right now cost around $500-600 while 10TB HDD $300-400

kschendel

Aug 1, 2018
I wouldn't plan on SSD prices falling much over the next 6 months. If anything, I imagine they'll rise. If you need SSD, might as well get it now.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I wouldn't plan on SSD prices falling much over the next 6 months. If anything, I imagine they'll rise. If you need SSD, might as well get it now.

Yeah, NOW the stories are that NAND manufacturers are planning on raising their prices 10-15%...

https://www.techradar.com/news/need-new-ram-or-ssds-better-act-fast-prices-may-rise-soon

Over the last few months we've been enjoying some pretty low prices for the best RAM and SSDs. However, that might be ending soon, as some SSD manufacturers are reportedly discussing price hikes.

According to a report from Digitimes, SSD manufacturers are planning to raise prices by 10-15% on NAND flash, which would make SSDs more expensive. This is reportedly on top of increases to DRAM module pricing, which would make RAM more expensive.

Don't panic yet, though: it's important to note that this isn't confirmed, and is little more than rumor at this point. But if you were planning to jump on that cheap SSD deal you've been scoping out, it wouldn't hurt to pull the trigger right now.

If these reports are to be believed, RAM and SSD pricing could jump to where they were back in 2018, when it was ludicrously expensive to even upgrade to middling RAM or a small SSD. We just hope that if the prices do increase, they don't get to a level where the average consumer can't get into computing.

It is a shame, too, as it is one of the best times to build a new computer, especially now that AMD Ryzen 3rd Generation processors, Nvidia Super and AMD Navi graphics cards have finally arrived.

Don't panic yet, though: it's important to note that this isn't confirmed, and is little more than rumor at this point. But if you were planning to jump on that cheap SSD deal you've been scoping out, it wouldn't hurt to pull the trigger right now.

If these reports are to be believed, RAM and SSD pricing could jump to where they were back in 2018, when it was ludicrously expensive to even upgrade to middling RAM or a small SSD. We just hope that if the prices do increase, they don't get to a level where the average consumer can't get into computing.

It is a shame, too, as it is one of the best times to build a new computer, especially now that AMD Ryzen 3rd Generation processors, Nvidia Super and AMD Navi graphics cards have finally arrived.