If you're not too busy...

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Please answer these quick questions *seriously* and throw your initials at the bottom of your post. It's for a school project. Thanks :)

1. Should metal detectors be placed in all schools? Why or why not?
2. Should warrants be issued before personal belongings are taken from you? Why or why
not?
3. Should they make Violence and How to Prevent it a mandatory class? Why or why not?
4. Should police use violence to stop violence? Why or why not?
5. Are handcuffs necessary for certain situations? Explain.

-=bmacd=-

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
1) No and Yes. I believe that if the school is in a high crime area, then yes, they should be. But, if there is no reason for them, eg no previous incidents, or reasons to do it, then I see no reason. I think in some cases it would be harming itself because of a lot of items that are brought into school that could cause false readings.
2) Yes, that is a protected right. No illegal search and seizures without due process of law (or something to that affect).
3) No, it is human nature for violence to play some part of society. As can be seen in prison's, most people go back to a life of crime after being imprisoned. Someone who, by nature, is violent will not have there demeanor changed by a class.
4) Yes, I believe that if their is a serious enough threat to society, or the police themselves, they should have the protected right to use any necessary force, without using excessive force.
5) Yes. In most cases someone who is being arrested is combatant, and without handcuffs they are a serious threat to the people detaining or arresting them. If an offender didn't have handcuffs, imagine all the attempts at taking swings at cops that would go on.

IP

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Originally posted by: bmacd
Please answer these quick questions *seriously* and throw your initials at the bottom of your post. It's for a school project. Thanks :)

2. Should warrants be issued before personal belongings are taken from you? Why or why
not?
3. Should they make Violence and How to Prevent it a mandatory class? Why or why not?

-=bmacd=-

1. Yes, to prevent studends from bringing in guns, knives, etc. etc.
2. Depends on if there's probable cause or not.
3. Yes, educating kids is how you can prevent violence from happening, IMO.
4. It really depends on the situation. If it became necessary to protect innocent people, then yes.
5. Yes, to prevent, for example, a situation from happening because a suspect has a weapon on himself that was not found.

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
My reply:
1) No, i don't think it's necessary for all schools to require metal detectors. Would they be better off? Probably, but not all school systems are financially capable of hiring guards at the detector to monitor what goes in and out.

2) The question is kind of vague, but if this is in a school scenario again, then i think Yes, they should be or a parent should be notified. If a student brings in a pager, for example, and it is confiscated due to it going against the student code of conduct, i believe that the parents should have the right to pick it up. If there were probable cause for an illegal item, such as a weapon or drugs, then i think that as long as the proper authorities (principal, police liason, etc.) are conducting the search, then i have no objection.

3) Yes. Not all children are taught how to deal with anger management. Some kids will naturally be bullies. Others will naturally be beat up. The class may not do anything, but it's better to be pro-active about the situation than sitting around waiting for the fight.

4) Yes, within reason. The police are here to serve and protect US and THEMSELVES. They shouldn't have to risk their life, but it's part of the job. If a police officer has to strike or fire a weapon on a crack addict that he feels could jeopardize his life or the safety of others, then i fully condone physical action.

5) Yes i feel they are necessary in MANY situations. "It's better to be safe than sorry". Put yourself in the shoes of a police officer doing a routine traffic stop only to discover that he's dealing with two potential threats who are former ex-cons and notorious drug dealers. I believe the officer has every right to detain people within reason using probable cause.

bm
-=bmacd=-

Azoth

Jun 7, 2001
1 - Yes, due to the increased violent attitude of children, and their ease at obtaining handguns, I feel that metal detectors could prevent a potentially dangerous situation.

2 - Yes, because if a warrant is not issued, it would essentially be the law enforcement operatives using their authority to search your person.

3 - Yes, it would be a beneficial class for everyone. Everyone has violent tendencies to an extent, and the ability to recognize it as well as prevent it would be very fundamental.

4 - That is a tough one and depends fully on the situation. Depending on the situation, it may be possible to talk someone down rather than beating the hell out of them... I would say the answer would vary as to the situation... I am all for stunguns, tasers, and other non-lethal means to subdue someone if the situation demands it, but feel that firearms should be a last resort and only in a life threatening situation that can be unavoided.

5 - Yes, as are leg restraints in some situations, but neither in some situations. If a suspect is being cooperative, then there is no need for handcuffs, however if they are a potential threat to themselves or the safety of others, including the police officer, then they are mandatory. It is a non-harmful preventative measure.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002

not?

1. I wouldn't say *all* schools, but definitely medium to large schools.

2. If it's on school property, no. If it's on your property or in your vehicle, yes.

3. No, in general mandatory classes are a bad idea. Let the students tailor their classes to their interests (for the most part, require at least one unit in each major discipline--math, science, etc.).

4. Yes, medium to large schools should employ a School Resource Officer from the local PD/SO. Not only will the police presence deter crime, but the students will have a more favorable view of the police department by getting to know the officer.

5. Yes, if someone is acting aggressive or violent it is in the best interest of everyone concerned for them to be detained. This doesn't necessarily entail an arrest.

BNR

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
1. no. not "all" schools are in urban crime ridden cesspools of society where they are needed

2. if you mean in a school, then no. as far as i am concerned, minors aren't protected under the constitution equally to adults

3. no, because it wouldn't help those that have learned violence as a way of life from thier parent(s) . kids learn this stuff at home before they come into the public school system, then the garbage at school just reinforces their deplorable attitudes.

4. sure. why not?

5. yes, to restrain someone for the safety of law enforcement officers.

kll

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: bradruth

not?

2. If it's on school property, no. If it's on your property or in your vehicle, yes.

3. No, in general mandatory classes are a bad idea. Let the students tailor their classes to their interests (for the most part, require at least one unit in each major discipline--math, science, etc.).

4. Yes, medium to large schools should employ a School Resource Officer from the local PD/SO. Not only will the police presence deter crime, but the students will have a more favorable view of the police department by getting to know the officer.

5. Yes, if someone is acting aggressive or violent it is in the best interest of everyone concerned for them to be detained. This doesn't necessarily entail an arrest.

BNR

id say most of that sounds pretty much like what i was thinking, though with alot more words than i had planned to use...

JDN

TitanDiddly

Dec 8, 2003
1. No, I have nothing to hide but I carry metal objects around. Just a hassle. Possibly for 'trouble' schools.
2. Yes, seems to be common sense. Unless it's a gun or something, or something petty like a hat or MP3/CD player that they'll give back at the end of the day.
3. Absolutely not. Most people have common sense, only give it to those who need it.
4. Depends. If they have to.
5. For criminal charges, yes. Pretty much if it's police policy, then yes.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: xSauronx
Originally posted by: bradruth

not?

BNR

id say most of that sounds pretty much like what i was thinking, though with alot more words than i had planned to use...

JDN

:D [/Non-verbose response]

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002

not?

-=bmacd=-

1) Metal detectors are only as good as the people who enforce their usage, and if they are anything like airport metal detectors, will go off for a belt buckle, metal pen, even the zipper on some jeans. They may be necessary in some schools, but would be an overall waste of time and money if put in EVERY school. Not to mention that many schools just flat out will never have to worry about them.

2) This question is vague. If "Personal Belongings" refers to illegal items or items that should not be in a certain place (having a marijuana pipe, knife, or something to that effect in school are the only real examples I can think of to better desribe this one.) However, if there is no law prohibiting an item from being carried, then there is no reason for it to be confiscated. In a case where the object in question may be an accessory to a crime, then as it stands, unless it is found abandoned in public domain, it requires a warrant to seize. To me, that is all that should be required. However, if an officer is arresting someone, then they have every right and reason they need to frisk and confiscate and object that could pose a threat to their duty, provided the object is returned if and when the suspect is freed.

3) This sounds like another way for someone to force fear into the hearts of all the suckers of the world who can't grow a pair and fend for themselves. This would be, perhaps, the worst decision any school could make regarding required classes. Especially because it would be a waste of the short time that students have at school on such a ridiculous concept. Not only could the time be better spent, but it would be more efficent to give people a class on self-defense! Unfortunately, violence is bound to happen, no matter what you do. If someone wants to hurt you bad enough, there is no way you can stop them without defending yourself. Preventative measures are a joke.

4) Yes. Police officers are trained to use their judgement when a violent situation comes about, and at some point it isn't a matter of them being a police officer, it's a matter of one guy not walking away from a violent situation. Just like any other human would do, they will defend themselves with whatever force necessary. I would not expect a police officer to lay down his life to protect the life of the person who killed him. If the cost of safety for people who are deserving of it is the loss of those who don't, then so be it, I won't have trouble sleeping at night.

5) Yes. Handcuffs are not only safe, but secure and effective. They are a much better form of restraint than subduing through violence if the situation allows for it. They not only protect a police officer, but they protect the person being arrested because they prevent them from doing anything rash that could require the officers to use force against them.

-BF

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
No. The root cause of problems with kids in school lays with the parents that have abdicated their responsibility to raise children that know right from wrong. Metal detectors will do nothing but mask the true problem. The schools and teachers cannot replace the guidance of loving, caring, involved parents.

not?
Depends. Police should not be able to go on fishing expeditions while serving a warrant but if illegal items are in plain view off officers serving a legally issued warrant I do not believe they require a new warrant for that item even though it is not named in the original.

No, see answer #1.

Only as appropriate to the situation they are dealing with. If they are subduing a violent person then some violence on their part will likely be necessary.

Yes. To prevent the person being apprehended from injuring either himself or others.

dws

Sideswipe001

Golden Member
May 23, 2003
1) Yes. Anything that cuts down on violence or weapons in school is good.
2) Depends. If you're being arrested, I feel they have the right to search you, so no they wouldn't need one. If you're not, yes they should.
3) No, because it's not up to school to make you less violent. That's what parents are for.
4) Yes. Sometimes there is no alternative.
5) Yes. People must be protected. The police must be protected. If someone is being arrested, they will do drastic and stupid things sometimes. There would many more problems without handcuffs.

-BDN

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
1) Depends on the area. Yes if there is cause. I don't care what rights this breaks, because school is public and we need to be able to protect our children. If kids want to act like adults and carry weapons, then they need to accept adult treatment in stopping those weapons from entering our schools.

2) Not without probably cause. Say a teacher is 90% certain a student is carrying a weapon, and the student may have a history. That teacher should be able to get the attention of the principal, and a search can be made by the principal or designated employee ONLY. If there turns out to be nothing, teacher may be subject to disciplinary action (this prevents teachers from picking on students). Also, teachers should get training on how to spot weapons of various types. Plus I am in favor of random locker searches. We used to have police dogs come to our school sniffing out drugs, and they always found some in someone's locker.

3) Yes for teachers and administrators. We could show a few videos and have an assembly for the students, don't make it a whole class. We still need to learn our math, science, and language in schools or what is the point?

4) Yes but it must be reasonable. Big deal in Dallas a few years back with cops shooting suspects who were not armed. Sometimes cops get nervous and use violence too fast, there is a very fine line here. Again, lots of training to prevent unneccessary violence.

5) Yep. You bet. If you act like an adult and commit a crime, you get treated like an adult.

I don't have a zero tolerance policy because exceptions needed to be made, but I am very tough on crime. Especially in schools.

RK

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
1. Depends on school. I think at least they should have the metal detectors wands and just occasionally spot check people.
2. No, On school grounds you do not have the same rights as you would outside.
3. No, The more PC classes we force on kids the more likely they will be to go insane and kill everyone
4. Sure, if you can't understand the words "stop" or "freeze" you deserve to get your ass beat
5. Yes, handcuffs are for the officer's safety and are to be used at their discretion.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
1. All schools? No - there are actually still places in this country that do not have problems with kids bringing handguns to school
2. No - Those drugs may be your personal property, but they are still going to get rightly confiscated...
3. No - Other than teaching kids what it is like to sit through useless mandatory training sessions in corporate America, this accomplishes nothing.
4. Yes - As necessary. If someone is brandishing a machinegun near a crown of people, he needs to be taken out.
5. Yes - They restrain an uncooperative prisoner.

-MRW