If you're looking for DSL in NYC, you have until today (6/30) to get it for $37.50/mo.!

Pete

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Get Speakeasy. They seem pretty highly rated, and they're geared as a gamer's ISP. Here's the deal: if you order by today (June 30th) you get free installation/hardware (via $200 Covad rebate) and three free months with a one-year contract. This is the best deal I've found, and total cost per month works out to $37.50 if you go with their cheapest plan. They also have a 30-day money-back guarantee, so there's no worries that you'll get snookered into crappy speeds/service.

Sorry I'm posting this so late, but I just ordered it myself today. I really hope this'll work out, as it's probably the best deal on DSL we'll see in NYC for a while.

Call 1-800-556-5829, or go to http://www.speakeasy.net.

This might seem like an advertisement for them, but really, I looked around and this is by far the best offer I've found.

Pete

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
To clarify: their Essential Edge package is $50/mo, but when you average in the 3 free months, it comes out to $37.50. Not bad.

Stifko

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
the 800 number is steady busy and no sign of the 3months free offer on the site

the 3 months free offer in on the Plus package

I signed up! Later for my slow and inconsistant 56K connect!

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
I believe that to get 3 months free you have to sign up online through a special ad link. I've seen it before.

Here is the link: http://www.speakeasy.net/dsl/index.cgi?r=dslrep <- not a referral link, if you take out the dslrep thing then you go to the normal signup page.

Anyways speakeasy is great and if anyone signs up if you wouldn't mind putting richiez in the referral field (on the page after you put in your address to check for avialibility, its on the bottom of the page) it would be great. Then i would get a free month.

DarkWarrior2

Oct 9, 1999
&quot;Service for your area is still in the planning stage, so you cannot order at this time. If you would like to be contacted when DSL is available, please call Speakeasy at 1.800.556.5829.&quot;

*sigh*

Good luck to those who can get it!

KaiNe

Oct 18, 1999
i have speakeasy dsl in NYC, im on an older plan that they dont offer anymore 768/384, actually 768/768. I get 20ms ping to the game servers and they upgraded their news servers a few days ago, it used to be throttled, but not anymore. The CS lines get busy once in a while, but they actually respond to emails and once you get on the phone they usually have knowledgeable techs.

zogg

Dec 13, 1999
there offering me 2 static ips at 384/384 for 89.95 month. Or the same thing with fries which means I get a game spy tshirt/free game spy software/ and 30 hours of remote dialup access. for 99.99 month. what happend to the 50 dollar month deal. It says I am 14,000 feet away from an office. Is that why I cant get the lower plan?

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
That's 'cuz it's SDSL....they like to charge more to allow people to upload semi-quickly. I got ADSL (640/80) for $49 a month with Acecape http://www.acecape.com...they use Bell Atlantic, but they take care of the problems from BA quickly...and install is free, also no contract. If speakeasy was available for me and had adsl I admit I'd prolly get it, since acecape has to deal with Bell atlantic which sucks at times.

BTW, this isn't an advertisement, just comparing deals.

Pete

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I wouldn't mind a referral either (for pab) :), tho I didn't know of this free month thing.

zogg--you're probably too far for ADSL. I think SDSL can travel farther, so you're limited to that. It's also recommended as superior to ADSL, but I can't see paying that much for internet access right now.

IceStorm

Feb 7, 2000
I have their 1.5Mbit/384kbit offering (RADSL). This was before all the funky-named ones came out.

I run an 8-person HL server off it. Works well, but I want to upgrade to the 768/768 or 1.1/1.1 (w/fries, of course) offerings, as the server's starting to feel a bit cramped, and I want to do a bit more with it than just run a game server.

So far, I don't know of any extended outages on the line. I use my Bell Atlantic line for day-to-day websurfing, and the Speakeasy one for large jobs (like downloading ISO images of Linux - 650MB in 62 minutes).

The worst part of the installation was Bell Atlantic, as per usual. Took them six weeks to install the local loop.

Just my $0.02

SleepyGreggy

Oct 9, 1999
I have a general question. A relative owns a automotive shop in the NYC area where they do general work and to free up their phone lines, they are interested in a DSL line. A simple home plan with (dynamic IP) would do as this is a 15 employee shop with only 1 person working the office. Is it mandatory that they sign up for a business plan (which is almost double/triple the cost)? They will not be running any servers or anything of this kind, just a line in order to surf the internet.

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
No it is not manditory to get the business line. In fact they used to offer this as a residental option too , I have the 384/384 SDSL line w/ 4 static IP's for $60 a month (plan no longer available). The 608/128 should be fine for surfing and downloading, the only thing is that Covad counts SDSL as business type and RADSL as residential so there is a speed gurantee of 128/? while DSL has an 80% speed gurantee. So RADSL is best available speed, hense rate adaptive digital subsriber line.

Again if you want to sign up and get the 3 free months i think you need to use this link: http://www.speakeasy.net/dsl/index.cgi?r=dslrep That is the only page that says 3 free months, its the link from their DSLreports.com add.

Anyways speakeasy is great and if anyone signs up if you wouldn't mind putting richiez in the referral field (on the page after you put in your address to check for avialibility, its on the bottom of the page) it would be great. Then i would get a free month. Yea and if you did this could you pls tell me because from what i hear they often &quot;forget&quot; to credit referrals.